Jayhawks "Hollywood town hall"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sear, May 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sear

Sear Dad rocker Thread Starter

Opinions about this album?

bonus likes this.
  2. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Top-notch Americana.

3. fenderesq

fenderesq In Brooklyn It's The Blues / Heavy Bass 7-7

A high-point of the band.

4. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

Masterpiece. A triumph of both songs and taste. Many incredible tracks, no weak link, with some of the absolute best songs they ever did : Two Angels (reprised from the previous LP, here in its definitive version), Crowded in the Wings, Settled Down Like Rain, Nevada California and the classic Waiting for the Sun (with Benmont Tench's opening piano note). Topped for me by its follow up, the stunning Tomorrow the Green Grass.

Last edited: May 27, 2018
  5. JoshM

JoshM Forum Resident

I’m an enormous Jayhawks fan. Own all their albums, seen them live five or six times, etc. However, I seem to be in the minority with the opinion that the Louris era is much better than the Louris/Olson era. That’s not to say I don’t love HTH, but I actually prefer TTGG to HTH for the classic Louris/Olson era (the less said about Mockingbird Time the better). IMO, Sound of Lies and, especially, Rainy Day are the underrated Jayhawks classics.

6. Fortuleo

I don't know. Yes, Sound of Lies and Rainy Day Music are both wonderful records. Like you, I think I even prefer them to HTH. But there's a certain youthfulness in the two Olson/Louris classics HTH and TTGG, the discovery of the band's power by the band itself, when a band is just becoming aware of how great it can be, the first great songs, when it's possible to hear them being amazed by the songs and the sound they make. This is something that you don't get from more "mature" records like SOL or RDM. You've got to love both eras. (myself, I even like Mockingbird Time !)

The MEZ, L.P., guy incognito and 3 others like this.
  7. Bob C

Bob C Forum Resident

I think all of the Jayhawks' albums are great; including Hollywood Town Hall and Mockingbird Time.

8. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

You mention all these excellent tracks and then you leave out the masterpiece that is Take Me With You (When You Go). It might even have been their biggest song, certainly here in the Netherlands.
    Not sure whether follow-up Tomorrow The Green Grass is even better. Not that it matters that much though, as both records are pure diamonds.

9. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

I was ready to mention Take Me With You (When You Go) which is the first Nighthawks song that I ever heard ( and immediately fell in love with) and then I saw your post .

Agree 100 % ! Masterpiece ! ..:righton: :)

Zeki likes this.
  10. bonus

bonus Forum Resident

Love the eclecticism and sweep of Tomorrow the Green Grass, but that exquisitely dry, spare sound of Blue Earth is what made me a fan. Love both those albums dearly.

Hollywood Town Hall
    always seemed to me like a more generic, more calculated attempt at "FM Americana." Felt at the time as though American, having successfully packaged the Crowes as neo-Stones/Faces, was dressing the Jayhawks as a new Neil Young/Gram Parsons. And while those (mighty) influences had been happily apparent from the start, the record's arrangements and production somehow made them less interesting than they had been previously...

The MEZ, ralphb, JoshM and 1 other person like this.
  11. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

I can see where bonus is coming from above, but it's about my favorite -- and it ends with Martin's Song, tops for me by The Jayhawks

The MEZ, Zeki, bonus and 1 other person like this.
  12. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

HTH and TGG are both absolute classics in my opinion. All of the later albums have moments that are as good (even without Olson) but none are as consistently good as they were with these 2 releases. If they had stopped entirely after TGG they would be revered for these two.

13. Fortuleo

In truth, I had just mentioned my favorite tracks by memory and ended up with ALL the songs listed. So I thought it was ridiculous to mention them all and I randomly erased some titles. Take Me with You is indeed one of their best !

Even though it doesn't prevent HTH to be a tremendous record, I see your point. But I think it's an accurate analysis of American's strategy, more so than of the band's attitude. And TTGG transcends this : they come into their own, Louris becomes the main songwriter, bringing some power pop, Beatles/Big Star influences and breaking away from the Gram thing, never to come back.

14. Sear

Sear Dad rocker Thread Starter

Well I bought this CD last saturday. I didn't know anything about them, but I had good references. At first listen I wasn't impressed, but on subsequent listenings it's growing on me

ARK and OptimisticGoat like this.
  15. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

Great album, this and Blue Earth are my favorites of theirs.

CCrider92 and The MEZ like this.
  16. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Greatness. Fantastic album.

CCrider92 and The MEZ like this.
  17. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I see Rainy Day Music being praised all the time so don't agree that it is underrated at all. I like it just fine (though not at Hollywood Town Hall or Tomorrow the Green Grass level).

18. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

Their best album

Sear, CCrider92, The MEZ and 3 others like this.
  19. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I didn't hear Blue Earth until later so don't view it like you, but can see your point. Hollywood Town Hall was a "wow!!" album for me. Perfect in every way.

20. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Yeah, both on my Top 100 (and are probably safe from being knocked asunder).

CCrider92 and OptimisticGoat like this.
  21. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

This is the album that introduced me to the band. Upon reflection, Mark Olson was an inferior lead vocalist to Gary Louris, or Tim O'Regan for that matter. Too nasally, like the guy from They Might Be Giants. And Olson sings almost everything here but the single.

OptimisticGoat and JoshM like this.
  22. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

So Benmont Tench playing on "Waiting For the Sun" might explain the similarity of that song's opening and the beginning of Tom Petty's "Last Dance With Mary Jane?"

23. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

Great album, but I think that Tomorrow... , Sound of lies and Smile are all better albums. It’s almost like the sparseness of the album is a bit too much (or too little). I think the other three albums adds a bit more colour and eclecticism.

24. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Blue Earth: I didn't hear this until the reissue in 2003. Instead of being the debut, in my world it came after Smile and I couldn't have been happier. The Jayhawks were "back"! (even, of course, when it was just me becoming acquainted with a more than a decade old album). Two Angels, She's Not Alone Anymore, Commonplace Streets, Ain't No End, Five Cups of Coffee...hmm, Top 100 album potential!

Edit: I see that it isn't the debut! I didn't know that. I guess I've never heard the self titled debut.

Hollywood Town Hall: loved from the get-go. Indispensable.

Tomorrow the Green Grass: see above.

Sound of Lies: I wasn't aware Olson had departed when I bought this. One listen and I was frantically reaching for the liner notes. I like the album but obviously a different band and sound.

Smile: This one put me off the Jayhawks for quite a while, to the point where I had no interest in even hearing Rainy Day Music. Then one day I had my iPod on shuffle and the album came on and it kinda clicked. It no longer makes me chuckle when I listen to it and I like it just fine.

After this point it's been catch up time, going back to hear Rainy Day Music (which i like). And, being an Olson fan, I'm delighted with Mockingbird Time. Hide Your Colors is a fantastic song. As is Tiny Arrows "coyotes howling in the mountains far away".

Last edited: May 28, 2018
    The MEZ and bonus like this.
  25. Fortuleo

Oh yes. Most definitely. Rick Rubin knew what he was doing : he put Benmont and Mike Campbell all over most of his rock productions and a lot of his "American" releases. The Heartbreakers were big aces up his sleeve.

(I think there's also Nicky Hopkins somewhere on HTH, but Tench plays the opening notes of Waiting for the Sun)

melstapler, JoeF. and budwhite like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.