Is Tim Buckley underrated?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sear, Jun 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

Nope not in this house.

Well, even more reason for me to dislike it ! ;)

I DO like this post :)

Ah hah, now we can agree. Greetings from L.A. is a fantastic album. His best.

:edthumbs:

Yes, cynical but true. The album became so cult hip that it became SOOO uncool not to worship it…..

HenryFly, lemonade kid and DTK like this.
  2. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

I think Blue Afternoon is his best album but it seems a lot less known than a lot of his other albums.

3. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Actually, not everyone realises this but Tim died at a younger age than Jeff.

HenryFly, jay.dee and DTK like this.
  4. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

tis true, Tim at 28 and jeff at 30, also tims father died very young as well

5. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

Probably because it wasn't available on CD for so long. Now you can get it as part of the most recent boxed set of albums :)

lemonade kid likes this.
  6. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

I can see mentioning Jeff in the conversation--I did so myself--but I don't think this thread needs to be a contest between him and his dad. They're different enough that it's not surprising if you like one but not the other.

HenryFly and Desolation Row like this.
  7. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

The Zappa clan saw to that. Glad I've had my Straight vinyl all these years.

8. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Grace is ok. But he's not im, nor should we exect hi to be. That would be like the Lennon sons trying to live up to the dad.

HenryFly likes this.
  9. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Indeed, not too many artists can beat this three of a kind. Each one great and unique.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

If this is your opinion then why start a thread in the first place????

Picked up US originals of "Happy Sad" and "Lorca" for 20$ this week in the Village and found out later that this wasn't exactly cheap. Apparently Jeff has eclipsed his father because I remember that Tim Buckley was really revered in the 80's. Nowadays there seems to be very little interest and the used market reflects that. In that sense I'd surely call Tim Buckley "underrated".

But I don't care.... love the run from "Happy Sad" to "Greetings From LA", the albums have a lovely and highly unique atmosphere. For me Tim is up there with Nick Drake. And Jeff? Never cared about him. "Grace" doesn't do anything for me.

HenryFly likes this.
  11. MojoPin

MojoPin Forum Resident

This performance is so incredibly funky:

Clonesteak likes this.
  12. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

It's been a frustration to me that:
    • Jeff Buckley is regarded so highly, but I have never been able to hear what all the fuss is about
    • No-one seems to be aware of Tim Buckley and his talent.

I recall the first time I heard Greetings from LA. It was on the background at a social gathering, and I went up to the host to find out who the heck was responsible for such great music. Since then I've loved a lot of his songs. And I've never been able to get into Lorca.

I think part of Tim's legacy difficulties lies that he didn't get widespread appreciation in his life (that I was aware of, anyway). And his work is variable, and covers a range of styles.

But I sure wish that when I mention Tim to people raving about Jeff that I'm not responded to with a blank face!

HenryFly likes this.
  13. MojoPin

MojoPin Forum Resident

What have you listened to by Jeff?

14. Tim Buckley is overrated.

So is Jeff.

If they hasn't died young, they'd get far fewer critical hosannas.

15. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Like Nick Drake you mean? I don't think Tim gets enough critical attention and his stuff can't really be used to sell cars or washing powder.

16. qwerty

I bought Grace some time after it had been released. So many people had named it their favourite album of the year, etc. that I was expecting something special. I was already familiar with many of the songs via radio, and thought the album context may enhance my appreciation. I've had many attempts to appreciate it over many years, but am always underwhelmed.

Wanting to give him a decent opportunity - and in the hope that he might click with me and I would appreciate a great artist - I bought Live at Sin-é, and again was underwhelmed. I think that at some stage I picked up Sketches for My Sweetheart the Drunk to give him another go, but again nothing memorable.

Jeff's father Tim has almost always been more stimulating for my ears, even the times when I haven't particularly liked his work.

17. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

It's not Jeff's fault but he seems to have influenced an especially hideous of strain (strain being the operative word) of male over-emotive singing/caterwauling from the likes of Thom Yorke and that Muse guy.

Siegmund and MojoPin like this.
  18. MojoPin

MojoPin Forum Resident

How can one be underwhelmed by Jeff’s covers of The Way Young Lovers Do, Sweet Thing, If You See Her, Say Hello, Just Like A Woman, Night Flight, Strange Fruit, etc. off Live at Sin-é? The first one might be the most impressive live performance of any song ever put to tape. No one else would pull off what he did, there. You’re not moved by the power and broad spectrum of emotion in his voice or his brilliant guitar playing? I just don’t get it how anyone could be underwhelmed by that record, in particular. The guy had the most gorgeous voice in recorded music history and his guitar proficiency was arguably even greater. As Brad Pitt said, he is “Plant and Page in one, on a technical level; it’s mind blowing.”

Have you watched any live videos of Jeff? His songs usually were better performed in a live setting. That is where he really shone.

19. MojoPin

MojoPin Forum Resident

Nonsense. Most people don’t even know that either existed. They both deserve the lionization that they receive from those who recognize their brilliance. They have enough extant material for one to make informed judgements re their abilities and talents as singer-songwriters.

Record Rotator likes this.
  20. Astralweeks

Astralweeks Diamond Dog

I can never really decide if he's a fantastic, creative, and innovative talent or an outlandish, pretentious folk singer. It depends on my mood I suppose.
    I do really enjoy Lorca, which is probably his most polarizing album. I also find myself in the mood for Happy Sad quite often as well, I love the instrumentation and creativity.
    I can never figure out Starsailor, I see the appeal but maybe it's too abrasive for me.
    Goodbye and Hello I find a little bland at times, though I suppose it deserves a few more listens from me.
    Blue Afternoon is lowkey but fascinating, I find it very underrated.
    Outside of that his albums aren't worth listening too. Is he underrated? Sure. Is he a fantastic artist? That's for the listener to decide.

21. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Not another "over rated/underrated" thread please..... .

22. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

"Greetings From LA" is definitely worth listening to.

Astralweeks and qwerty like this.
  23. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

I discovered Tim Buckley's music 25 years ago this week (about the same time I discovered the Dead, what a week)

I was flipping through a friend's record collection and I ran across this album with a cover photo of a guy who looked like his dog just died. He let me borrow the LP (Happy Sad) and I was hooked instantly. I can't say I like everything but one thing I love about Buckley is no two albums are alike.

RockRoom likes this.
  24. qwerty

I'm not saying that Jeff Buckley doesn't have any talent. It's just that his magic doesn't work on me, despite me giving him many opportunities. Maybe it will in the future, and I'll give Live at Sin-é another try based on your endorsement. But, for most of the time, Tim Buckley's magic does work on me.

25. qwerty

This DVD - My Fleeting House - gives an interesting overview of the breadth of Tim's styles, by his TV performances. It features footage from throughout his career, starting from a 1967 performance of “Song to the Siren” on The Monkees TV show and ending with a performance from May 21, 1974 of “Dolphins” for The Old Grey Whistle Test.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.