Rolling Stones "Emotional Rescue" Song By Song Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ohnothimagen, Jun 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Let Me Go rights the ship somewhat after the one two punch of awfulness that precedes it. Not a great song, but an enjoyable one. If all the lesser tracks on the album were of this quality I might call ER the Stones' best post Goats Head Soup album.

The MEZ likes this.
  2. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

Let Me Go
    A terrific little rocker and a lost classic. I really enjoy Mick's vocal delivery on this one. I like how the slower, almost lazy vocal melody contrasts with the uptempo guitar riff. It sounds great--another cool arrangement adding some flair to a rocker. I love the harmony vocals as well. It's just a really enjoyable track. Good little solo too!

3. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Japan got English lyrics in 1970 for Let It Bleed!

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  4. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

Let Me Go

One of my favorite tracks on the album. the lyrics are hilarious, Mick telling a woman straight out to hit the road and it just isn't sinking in.

"So you think I'm giving you the brush off? No I'm just telling you to shove off"

Musically I really dig the tambourine (played by Michael Shrieve of Santana) that rings throughout the song and Charlie's drumming, particularly this part: "The chair is on the table, out the door baby"

Cymbal CRASH!

A fun song. Unfortunately the live versions from this era were played too quickly and the song loses the groove of the studio version.

The MEZ, Maffune, Stencil and 6 others like this.
  5. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

I find myself agreeing with so many of your posts. Emotional Rescue is full of interesting little moments, many involving Charlie's recently acquired Crash cymbal! 'She's So Cold' is another but we'll get there soon enough.

6. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Well it's a pretty sterile sounding album. Way too clean sounding for my tastes even though I really want to like it. Up until then the Stones a albums had heaviness to them, even Some Girls, but ER just doesn't have any, it's a very lite album, but it's also a product of the times, and we all know how shallow the 80's were, the Stones reflected that.
    Beave

All Down The Line, DTK and John Fell like this.
  7. Exile On My Street

ER seems to be the Stones' attempt at making a pop album, definitely light and breezy, as so many have discussed already. I don't feel the album sounds sterile, it's got some pretty good punch.

The songs themselves just aren't very provocative in a deep, meaningful way. I don't mind the album but the "heaviness", as you describe it, is definitely missing. While I can appreciate it to a certain degree, I certainly 'get' the criticisms even though I think some of them are over the top.

ohnothimagen and The Beave like this.
  8. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

I must have listened to this album close enough to back in the day much more than I realised.

9. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

How could it not be. Young Turks and all that.

10. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

good points!
    by sterile i meant lite for lack of a better term. But I do not hate the album, I'm hoping this new vinyl version will warm me up to it! :righton:
    Beave

Exile On My Street likes this.
  11. Exile On My Street

Yeah, totally apples and oranges. You can't compare a bands 4th album to one by a band that's been at it for nearly 20 years by this point.

blutiga likes this.
  12. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Let Me Go - I'm not keen on the album version. I much prefer how they speeded it up for the live performances - as on Still Life.

13. Parachute Woman

A couple of them are more probing and emotional. "Indian Girl" and "All About You" are both coming from a real place, for instance. But, as I said, I think one of the strengths of this record is the fact that it is generally light and fun. Being deep and meaningful wasn't the goal here, and that's totally fine. :)

The MEZ and Exile On My Street like this.
  14. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

This is so good. Keith Richards is a bastard.

The MEZ and Micke Lindahl like this.
  15. Exile On My Street

You mentioned my favorite song on the album, and it ain't Indian Girl. :D

In my post I also said I felt this was the Stones' pop album. Nothing wrong with that. I love pop, especially 80's.

16. Parachute Woman

My favorite as well. :love: But we'll be getting to that at the very end of the thread.

Exile On My Street likes this.
  17. sami

sami Mono still rules

My favorite Stones record after Black & Blue ended the 'classic period', although that period arguably ended with Exile. Just a fun rock 'n' roll record that wasn't bludgeoned to death by rock radio the way Some Girls was. ER and Talk is Cheap are really the only post-B&B Stones related records I listen to any more, although most of my current Stones listening is to pre-Beggars stuff.

18. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

Steel Wheels?

No, that's probably their worst album.

BUT Bridges to Babylon is pretty damn great, and Voodoo Lounge may be a better album than either Goats Head Soup or Its Only Rock N Roll, and those albums had some guy named Mick Taylor on them...

When I saw the Stones, one of the highlights of the set was "Doom & Gloom"...I can't wait until Light the Fuse gets a proper release, so I can have a Vault package not only with different songs, but something with plenty live stuff from A Bigger Bang, which may be their most underrated record since Emotional Rescue...

But then again, I'm an actual Rolling Stones fan...

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  19. telepicker97

cocaine is a helluva drug...

20. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Bridge To Babylon and Steel Wheels are both pretty bad. Bridges To Babylon is one of their worst albums. Voodoo Lounge is better than both but they should have included the b-sides instead of some of the weaker tracks. None of them are better than Goats Head Soup and It's Only Rock 'N' Roll.

21. telepicker97

B2B is absolutely fantastic - "Thief in the Night", "Gunface", "Lowdown", "Might As Well Get Juiced"

enro99 and bonus like this.
  22. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I don't care for any of those tracks. Saint Of Me and Out of Control are the only tracks I really like.

23. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

The MEZ, Purple Jim and John Fell like this.
  24. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

The Lowdown?
    Might as well get another record on my turntable.
    ...Unless i have had a thief in the night!

John Fell likes this.
  25. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!" Thread Starter

Funny how that works, innit?
    What Telepicker said. Or rather what Rick James said:laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.