Japan Mini LP SHM-CDs - New Releases, George Harrison and more

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by toilet_doctor, Jan 19, 2017.

1. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Question regarding available SHM-CD titles from cd japan. I have some titles in my bookmark that say available in 2-4 weeks.
    Lately I have been tracking these titles and they do not become available. Can some comment on this situation?
    Also, have ordered certain titles that say are in stock, then when it comes to shipping, they are on back order.
    Does cdjapan actually produce low quantities of titles sold out after initial release?

2. Thrilled, maybe next they’ll release ‘Kind of Blue’. The 16th version on SACD is long overdue!

art likes this.
  3. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

The newly discovered tapes of John Coltrane - Both Directions At Once will be released in both SHM & UHQCD format (the UHQCD being a limited edition). The price difference will be 800 yen at CD Japan. Any thoughts which one to go for? (I've not heard enough UHQCD discs to determine how much better, if at all, UHQCD is over SHM).

toilet_doctor likes this.
  4. Wow, I just preordered it at Amazon on CD. Going to cancel and go with UHQCD. Will let you. Thanks for the heads-up. :targettiphat:

Musicisthebest and toilet_doctor like this.
  5. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me" Thread Starter

Please read comparison test SHM-CD vs. UHQCD at
    Ultimate HQCD (UHQCD) - new CD format, King Crimson on UHQCD and more (Post #321, Page 13)

6. CDJapan doesn't carry a lot of inventory for anything but newish releases. Their estimations of wait time are based on the idea they can acquire almost anything recent from one of their Japanese suppliers, but that doesn't always work out in the limited edition market that is Japanese audiophile releases.

7. toilet_doctor

Just announced, Vivid Sound is releasing 3 first UFO albums with a new 2018 remastering in the Blu-spec CD.
    Sony doesn't allow use of their best Blu-spec CD2 (BSCD2) tech.

June 27, 2018

UFO UFO1
    UFO Flying + 1
    UFO UFO Landed

"Cardboard sleeve reissue release from UFO features Blu-spec CD format and 2018 24bit remastering. The mini LP faithfully replicates its Japanese LP design." [$27.31]

(translation)
    UFO appearance [Blu-spec CD] / UFO
    "First album released in 1970 from Phil Mog (Vo), Pete Way (B), Mick Bolton (G), Andy Parker (Dr). I thought that I was baptized in the underground scene at that time and deployed numbers that heavily used improvisions. A masterpiece with the fragrance of traditional British rock throughout the whole story.
    · A type paper jacket specification based on the Japanese version LP.
    · Reversible band adopted which can enjoy 2 kinds of design.
    · High sound quality "Blu-spec CD" adopted.
    · 2018 24 bit remastering."

Review:
    "5* Overlooked, Underrated, not for mainstream posers.
    Get it and listen. Don't tell any of your friends about it. Just play it in the background and when people ask about it, be all pretentious and say, "UFO." Leave it at that. It's really good acid rock in a fairly quick punching, song based format. UFO 2 is similar but more jam-based, but pretty damn good as well
    ."

This is my favorite:
    " I walked thru a space, but it wasn't really there, and when I reached the other side, I didn't really care... I moved round a bit, and started seeing people, and the people that I met, they were all covered in treacle... Everyone was laughing, everyone except poor old me, though I tried to entertain them, but they were hard to please... As time went by, oh backwards I walked, backwards I talked, and backwards I slept..." (from the comment)

"What an early mixture of Space / Metal / Blues / Hard ROCK ..... long live the underrated Mick Bolton" (comment)
    UFO - Boogie (1970) HQ

I'm a big Heep and David Byron fan, but have to admit this version is absolutely different and a great one:
    Come Away Melinda
    Melinda (Remastered)

Flying [Blu-spec CD] / UFO
    "Received a big hit in Japan and Germany, the second album released in 71 years with the same set as the previous work. Spacious hard rock sound like an inheritance of the experimental nature of German rock, as typified by long length number 26 "Flying", is an attractive piece. A type paper jacket specification based on the Japanese version LP. Reversible band adopted which can enjoy 2 kinds of design. High sound quality "Blu-spec CD" adopted. 2018 24 bit remastering. Includes 1 bonus track"

Review
    "After receiving mixed reviews for their debut, UFO doubled down on their space-rock excesses on this bloated sophomore album, featuring a 19-minute jam in “Star Storm” and a 26-minute freak-out in the title cut. Both songs were stretched that far by means of a lot of unnecessary instrumental nodding, but a trio of shorter tunes, headlined by the nifty “Prince Kajuku,” spared the sanity of daring voyagers."

Silver Bird (Remastered)

Nice remaster - every word can be heard.
    Flying (Remastered)

The Coming Of Prince Kajuku (Remastered)

UFO Landed Live! [Blu-spec CD] / UFO
    "From live performances that took place in 1971 with the hits of 'CAMON EVERY BUDDY', live recordings of concerts performed at Tokyo / Hibiya Amphitheater and albums released at that time only in Japan and Germany. One piece that directs the real thrill of the concert full of real atmosphere. A type paper jacket specification based on the Japanese version LP. Reversible band adopted which can enjoy 2 kinds of design. High sound quality "Blu-spec CD" adopted. 2018 24 bit remastering."

P.S.
    It was released by Airmail Records with "Flying" Promo box in 2005, and it's a really rare stuff:

[​IMG]

8. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

Thanks for reminding me about all the technicalities of UHQCD.

However SONICALLY I'm interested in the differences between SHM & UHQCD.

Looking through the thread there are comparisons between UHQCD & ordinary CDs where UHQCD came out on top but very few comparisons where SHM was compared against UHQCD.

The only comparison I've personally been able to make are between the CDs Pat Metheny Group - Offramp & Pat Metheny Group S/T. I found the UHQCDs to sound VERY marginally better than the SHMs. Finally I settled on the SACDs which to my ears & system sounded better still.

9. toilet_doctor

Please, check Post #636 at the UHQCD thread - we have to talk about this matter there.

jhm likes this.
  10. toilet_doctor

Uni announced 9 early and rare albums of very popular in England Prog Folk band Strawbs:

Aug. 22, 2018

Strawbs S/T + 3
    Strawbs Dragonfly + 4
    Strawbs Just A Collection Of Antiques And Curios (Live At The Queen Elizabeth Hall) + 2
    Strawbs From The Witchwood + 1
    Strawbs Grave New World + 2
    Strawbs Bursting At The Seams + 3
    Strawbs Hero And Heroine + 1
    Strawbs Ghosts + 1
    Strawbs Nomadness + 2

"Cardboard sleeve reissue release from Strawbs features SHM-CD format. The mini LP faithfully replicates its UK first pressing LP design (gatefold). An obi faithfully replicates its Japanese first pressing LP design. Features 2018 remastering, derived from UK original master tapes. Comes with lyrics and a description." [$24.13]

"One of the better British progressive groups, The STRAWBS were a 60's folk and medieval band turned prog-rock with the help of Dave COUSINS (the heart and soul of this group) and Rick WAKEMAN "master of the keyboards". WAKEMAN is featured on the albums "Strawbs", "Dragonfly", "Just A Collection of...", and "From The Witchwood" before he joined YES. The line-up for the group changed markedly over the years. Their sound has been in a state of constant evolution combining English folk and progressive sounds to form their unique style. Critics seem to have a preference for the STRAWBS in the early Seventies when the group consisted of Tony & John HOOPER, John FORD, Richard HUDSON and keyboard virtuoso Rick WAKEMAN. The group ceased to exist at the end of the 1970s, and COUSINS embarked on some solo projects. STRAWBS would appeal to fans of bands like FAIRPORT CONVENTION, STEELEYE SPAN, PENTANGLE, etc.

They have recorded over 15 albums through the years, with various lineups around the core of Dave COUSINS who offered beautiful melodic compositions. Every STRAWBS album between "Witchwood" and "Nomadness" has something unique to offer. The music of The STRAWBS frequently ranges from folky (acoustic guitars) and classic (piano and harpsichord) to bombastic, symphonic rock (fiery electric guitar and glorious Mellotron). The vocals are powerful with a lot of expression.

1971 - "From The Witchwood" was a release that represented the transitional phase and search for their definitive sound and style.
    1972 - "Grave New World" was their first symphonic album, and remained their finest moments, with great songwriting, great arrangements and superb performance all-round. This is a GREAT ALBUM!
    1973 - "Bursting at the Seams" was the break through album for the STRAWBS because it marked the last major transformation of the group.
    1974 - "Hero & Heroine" showed that a classical sensibility can be combined with rock music and make for wonderful listening. This is their masterpiece.
    1975 - "Ghosts" was the last great album that the band achieved the ultimate mix, with a bit darker edge, extremely well written, and executed with impeccable flair and confidence. "Ghosts" signaled an end to the STRAWBS' golden era. This CD is ABSOLUTELY essential. They followed in less than a year with "Nomadness". This disc marked the beginning of their musical decline. After that, they proceeded to morph into a power pop band and failed badly.

HIGHLIGHTS: "Grave New World", "Bursting at the Seams", "Hero & Heroine", and "Ghosts" remain the four "MUST BUY" discs.

(progarchives)

(translation)
    From the Witchwood +1 [SHM-CD] [Limited Edition] / Strobes
    "[Strawbs' Debut 50th Anniversary SHM-CD / Paper Jacket Series] After his recording with Sandy Denny who came to the store at that time, he debuted as a single in 1968. British Fork Rock - Progressive Rock famous band nine works in A & M are converted to paper jacket by the same lineup as the first work for the first time in the studio The completed 4th album. Progressive elements featuring a traditional folk flavor with versatile instruments such as dulcimer, sitar, banjo and harpsichord, rock-oriented created by unprecedented rhythm, and dramatic performance by Rick Wakeman. It is a masterpiece that was integrated. (Announced in 1971) Includes 1 bonus track
    ● Double-page spread jacket reproducing miniature first edition LP in the UK
    ● OBI reproducing the design of Japan's first edition LP
    ● 2018 latest remaster sound source based on British original analog tape
    ● Commentary / lyrics"

Review:
    "One of the Strawbs' most-loved albums, this album sees the band moving into rock while still keeping their feet in the folk pool. Rick Wakeman is now an official member, and he is given a few short bursts of brilliance to show off (in "Sheep" and at the beginning of "Hangman and the Papist"). This album is full of iconic Strawbs songs, such as the amazing title track "Witchwood", also "Glimpse of Heaven", "Hangman...", "Sheep", "Cannondale" and "I'll Carry On Beside You". But my very favourite here is "In Amongst the Roses", an acoustic number with such beautiful lyrics and multi-part vocal harmonies that it brings tears to my eyes. It is SO excellent. "Thirty Days", John Ford's song about a soldier who just has to live for a month longer before he can return home from the war to his family, is also very poignant and a key track. All in all, highly recommended. Wonderful music. I give this album 8.5 out of 10 on my 10-point scale." (progarchives)

"This is the one with Rick Wakeman. Then Yes stole him away. Sandy Denny recorded with Strawbs before going to Fairport Convention. The Strawbs had a way of finding stellar talent." (comment)

Witchwood
    The Strawbs - Witchwood
    Sheep
    The Strawbs - Sheep (1971)
    Flight
    The Strawbs, FLIGHT
    Canon Dale
    Cannondale - Strawbs

Thirty Days - Strawbs

In Amongst the Roses - Strawbs

The Hangman and the Papist
    Strawbs - Hangman and the Papist (Top of the Pops)
    "Strawbs (Dave Cousins, Dave Lambert & Chas Cronk) had a reunion with Rick Wakeman 40 years after he left for Yes. This took place at the Bury St Edmunds Abbeyfest on 24th July 2011." (comment)
    Strawbs & Rick Wakeman - The Hangman & the Papist

Grave New World +2 [SHM-CD] [Limited Release] / Strawbs
    "Blue Weaver (key) participated in place of Rick Wakeman. A masterpiece of high popularity from fans in an album that can be said that the fusion of British folk and progressive rock launched in the previous work has completed completion of Strawbs sound. (Announced in 1972) 2 bonus tracks included
    ● First paper jacketed
    Three-sided facade paper jacket reproducing miniatures first edition LP in the UK + 16 pages booklet"

"First album I ever bought back in 1972; still one of my favorites. For me, Blue Weaver fits the band better than Wakeman did. This track is one of my favorites on the album along with Benedictus, The Flower and the Young Man and Queen of Dreams, but every track is first class." (comment)
    Strawbs - New World
    "Grave New World" (1971) David Cousins, Vocals/Guitar. Tony Hooper, Vocals/Guitar. Ford, Vocals/Bass. Blue Weaver, Organ/Piano. Richard Hudson, Vocals/Drums.
    Strawbs - The flower and the young man.

Strawbs - Queen of Dreams (Grave New World, 1972)

Bursting At The Seams +3 [SHM-CD] [Limited Release] / Strawbs
    "Dave Lambert (vo, g) joined instead of Tony Hooper who was a member from the founding, and the sixth work strengthened the lock color further. "Part of Union" (2nd place in the UK) provided by two of the rhythm teams who formed Hudson Ford withdrawing this work at the end, and "Ray Down" handed down by Dave Cousins 12th) and was hit by two songs, the biggest hit in the band that the album went up to second place in all UK. (Announced in 1973) 3 bonus tracks included"

The Folk side of the band:

Part Of The Union
    Strawbs - Part of the Union 1973
    Lay Down 1973 Live
    "Richard Hudson, the drummer, blacked out his tooth as a joke" (comment)
    Strawbs - Lay down 1973 - YouTube

Rock side:

Down By The Sea
    "The great, doom-shadowed centerpiece of the Strawbs' best album. David Cousins has never received the respect he deserves as a songwriter." (comment)
    Down By The Sea - Strawbs - 1973
    Tears and Pavan
    "Tears and Pavan from the 1973 album Bursting at the Seams. With Dave Lambert replacing Tony Hooper and bringing a new rock-based dynamic to the band, the Strawbs scored an instant chart hit with "Lay Down", followed by their number 2 UK hit single, "Part Of The Union". The album, which carried on the musical journey towards rock, including some all-time Strawbs classics such as "Down By The Sea", "The River" and "Tears And Pavan", also reached number 2, and a 52 date tour of the UK saw them reaching a newer, younger audience. However, after a gruelling second US tour, the album title proved prophetic and the group split asunder." (comment)
    Live at BBC 1973
    Strawbs-Tears and Pavan Live in1973
    The River
    THE STRAWBS -The river

Hero & Heroine +1 [SHM-CD] [Limited Release] / Strawbs
    "With leader Dave Cousins and his previous work Leave behind Dave Lambert, swap members total. The seventh work by which lyrical and sentimental sound is developed which made use of elegant keyboard play by John Hoken which is impressive play which is also impressive in the first period renaissance as folk-rock like elements until the previous work. (Announced in 1974) Includes 1 bonus track."

"My attempt at giving this masterpiece the respect it deserves through the use of images. One of my all time favorite songs. From their 1974 album "Hero And Heroine". (comment)
    Strawbs - Autumn
    Sad Young Man
    The Strawbs SAD YOUNG MAN 1974 Hero And Heroine
    Just Love
    Just Love
    Live in Tokyo 1975:
    The Strawbs Hero and Heroine
    Midnight Sun
    Midnight Sun
    Lay A Little Light On Me
    Lay A Little Light On Me

Hero's Theme

Ghosts +1 [SHM-CD] [Limited Release] / Strawbs
    "Featuring a variety of keyboards by John Hoken, such as Piano, Hammond, Melotron, Moog, Harpsichord. Dave Cousins' energetic vocals are also cool, dramatic and lyrical, especially at the time of the announcement. 8th album, work that produced high sales in the United States and gathered high popularity from progressive rock fans alongside the previous work. (Announced in 1974) Includes 1 bonus track"

Ghosts (really a great song):
    "If there was a band that would occupy the space between The Moody Blues and Procol Harum that band would be Strawbs. As melodic as the Moodies, as dramatic as Procol Harum. They could caress you with their music or they could pin you against the wall with their more aggressive approaches. But they never lose the beauty of their focus. Their contribution to folk, rock and classical music in a rock context is immeasurable."
    "This song makes my hair stand on end every time I listen to it. What a fantastic prog rock band!!! They are still around but unfortunately do not sound like this anymore. Rick Wakeman was also in Strawbs briefly before he joined Yes back in the day!" (comments)
    Strawbs - Ghosts

"Great song portraying greedy selfish people as vultures...says it all."
    "I've always loved this song and a few others by them. I've always considered this the origins of my attraction to Gothic Rock and other dark things." (comments)
    Strawbs - The Life Auction - Ghosts - 1975

"All I have to say, is that this band were MAGNIFICENT!!!!! Their music was incredible, even their early days. I loved their folk sound just as much as their prog sound. Not too many bands could go from folk to rock as effortlessly as these great musicians did. BRILLIANT.....ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT!" (comment)
    Strawbs - Starshine/ Angel Wine (1975)

The Strawbs ABSENT FRIEND 1975 Nomadness

4 albums From The Witchwood, Grave New World, Hero And Heroine and Ghosts are the highest rated Strawbs albums.

(from the comments)
    - I live in Indonesia now, but have followed The Strawbs for 45 years - from when I was 15! I have all the Strawbs albums and I play a selection of albums every Sunday... I call it Strawbs Sunday. The memories never fade. They always have been and always will be...
    - If the end was near, this is one of the last songs I would ever want to lay my ears on. Godspeed Dave Cousins!
    - O.K. I've listened to this 5 times in a row, what ever happened to Peace, Love and Understanding did we lose our soul and buy into the system...
    - One of the greatest bands of all time. still so good to listen to, after all these years - they never became mainstream famous, or got their due. Where are all the awards they should have won, but never did? Where is the universal recognition of Dave Cousins as one of the world's greatest songwriters ever?

(Benedictus from the Grave New World)
    Strawbs-Benedictus

ispace, agn, Marvin and 3 others like this.
  11. toilet_doctor

P.S.

Of these 9 Strawbs albums 5 were never released in the Mini LP at all.
    Only 4 albums were released by Uni with 1998 remaster 16 years ago in their British Rock Legend Series limited to 5,000 copies and were immediately sold out:
    From the Witchwood, Bursting at the Seams, Hero and Heroine and Just A Collection Of Antiques And Curios.

"Reissue of The Strawbs' 1974 album. The unique prog-band was formed in 1968, headed by Dave Cousins. Includes single "Shine On Silver Sun". Digitally remastered. Comes housed in a cardboard sleeve which is a mini-replica of the original LP sleeve. A limited release of 5,000 copies only. 2 bonus tracks."

These two came in Gate-fold covers:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PhantomStranger and Dok like this.
  12. toilet_doctor

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Promo box for them also was not released.
    All boxes you can see on eBay are home-made non-Japan boxes:
    These two came from Italy (nice looking, but not cheap either - $36.50+15 each:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. toilet_doctor

In 2013, 8 Strawbs later album were released by Airmail Records, Japan in Promo box with extra single:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

From 1973 album:

14. Dok

Dok Senior Member

WoWSeR! All 9 pre-ordered! Thanks TD! Let's hope these will be the definitive digital versions.

15. toilet_doctor

My 1998 remaster of Grave New World, Hero... and Ghosts by Roger Wake already sounds good. (Hero and Heroine has some rough moments, though).
    Nevertheless, I think for the last 20 years tech and gear should change on better plus Japanese limited pressing, Original Analog Masters - should be the best sound.

16. Love the early Strawbs, the later albums less and less so. I missed the boat completely on that 2013 Japanese box set, I wasn't even aware of it until toilet doctor's pictures.

17. redfox62

redfox62 Forum Resident

Are there any notices about the 2018 moondance remaster? I hope it is not the 2008 ones...

18. toilet_doctor

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Right question, because it's exactly 2008 remaster.

Oyster Boy likes this.
  19. toilet_doctor

Warning:
    Van Morrison Astral Weeks Mini LP SHM-CD is also 2008 remaster,
    while the previous release reg CD in Digipak is 2015 Remaster:

Mini LP SHM-CD
    [​IMG]

2015 Digipak:
    [​IMG]

Warner was very disappointed on Van Morrison.

At the same time Nicolette Larson is 2015 Remaster:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    ispace likes this.
  20. toilet_doctor

2013 Remaster:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2015 Remaster:

[​IMG]