Has Ron Wood created any iconic or signature parts while with the Rolling Stones ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Glenn Christense, May 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

Absolutely.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  2. Stencil

Stencil Forum Resident

That album made me wish the Stones would fire that goofy lead singer.

stef1205 and duggan like this.
  3. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

OK, that's ever so slightly better than mainlining, but still hypocritical.
    The Jack Bruce thing is documented by the way -- it's in the Jack Bruce authorized biography, Composing Himself by Harry Shapiro. He started using when West & Laing introduced him to smack (even though he should have known better from his long acquaintance with Ginger Baker!).

4. telepicker97

I've thought that before...but that's the guy who wrote 'Brown Sugar' on guitar...

Stencil likes this.
  5. Malcolm Crowne

Malcolm Crowne Forum Habitue

No time to read this whole thread -- anybody else think it's the slide bits in She's So Cold?

davers and telepicker97 like this.
  6. telepicker97

Those definitely qualify, as well.

7. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I don't think you're forgetting much, if anything. By coincidence or not, around the time Ron Wood joined the band, their identity in terms of outstanding/identifiable guitar parts started to vanish, IMO. Off the top of our collective heads, it's easy to name any number of guitar parts which distinguish guitar parts by any of your aforementioned three names or just guitar parts in general in which you know the song in half a second. For me, the last Stones song/riff which shone that bright a light in my head was Start Me Up.

Glenn Christense likes this.
  8. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

Err, um, no.

More like an “under the radar” Stones track.

9. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

"Start Me Up" is a signature moment and it is one of their most iconic songs

/Thread over

Diamond Star Halo likes this.
  10. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Saw them on that tour. Candlestick Park, San Fran. - Had seats level with the stage - made some good eye contact with the boys, and was an awesome show.

davers likes this.
  11. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

What Woody does with the "Shine A Light" solo is giving Taylor's original solo a different flavour- Ron does the same with "Can't You Hear Me Knocking", among others. I mean, on some of those songs Taylor's original solos are iconic, you don't want to mess with 'em. To his credit -and I've read interviews with Ronnie admitting he does this- is that he "pays tribute" to the original part, be it by Taylor or Jones, but with his own stamp on it. Obviously Ronnie Wood is well aware that you can't improve on greatness.
    Those are pretty good. For whatever reason (his cracked out state at the time may have been a factor) but Ronnie doesn't play a lot of lead/solos on Emotional Rescue; Keith does a lot of the heavy lifting guitar-wise on that LP, something it actually took me years to notice. On that album, Ronnie's 'highlights' are probably the slide on "Cold", bass on the title track and the pedal steel on "Indian Girl", one of my favourite Ron Wood pedal steel moments.
    More's the pity. IMO "Everything Is Turning To Gold" should have been on Some Girls. Get rid of, say, "Lies", maybe?

12. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

I don't know what you're on about, O'Not -- Ooh La La is exactly what Ron Wood sounds like, or did then. But you're right, that was a long time ago, and he doesn't sound like that now. Here's a more recent example (from only 20 years ago!) of Wood's vocals:

Pretty beat up, huh! I mean his vocals!:D:D:D

I absolutely LOVE Woody's voice, but that's pretty rough.

MRamble and Spadeygrove like this.
  13. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Would anyone know if the studio that they're recording in is Ronnie's home studio in Ireland? It appears so as he is inviting them back at the end of the video.

14. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I admit I have an easier time hearing Ron Wood sing than hearing him talk, if that makes any sense. His speaking voice is so rough and scratchy now, it's an ugly sound to listen to IMO. No offense Ronnie, but you should have quit smoking years before you finally did!

15. Yannick

Yannick Forum Resident

My favourites are probably the co-write "Black Limousine", the bass line in "Emotional Rescue", the solo in "Out Of Tears" and the lead guitar in "Don't Stop".

16. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Nothing Iconic but here is a mentionable moments for:
    Hey Negrita-riff
    Faraway Eyes-pedal steel lines
    YCAGWYW-solo off LYL
    Crackin' up- fills/ensemble playing off LYL
    Out of tears-slide solo & phrasing
    Emotional rescue-bass
    Rough justice-slide guitar
    Beast of burden-Ron & Keith's greatest ever weaving

17. telepicker97

Add in the "Dance" riff.

18. sandmountainslim1

sandmountainslim1 Vicar Of Fonz

My thoughts exactly. The last 40 Years of Rolling Stones music could have been a lot more interesting if Ron had been allowed to actually be a functioning part of the group instead of their version of CJ Ramone.

19. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

No. Nothing at all.

20. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

This and the post you're quoting is utter bs. Every single concert for 40 years Wood has been given the opportunity to cut loose and stretch out, every single one and he simply hasn't created any iconic parts.

21. Pinstripedclips

Pinstripedclips Forum Resident

... and Yesterdays Papers, Sympathy for the Devil, Jigsaw Puzzle, Moonlit Mile, Sway and ...

22. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

However, I can't recall any of the solos in my head. Memorable solos I can recall in my head.

23. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Gallagher in Stones Sessions - The New Musical Express

Rory Gallagher has taken part in hush-hush recording sessions with the Rolling Stones, the NME learned this week. He flew out to Rotterdam with the band and spent 48 hours in the studios, where the Stones were recording another couple of tracks for their next album

David Oddy, Gallagher's manager, told NME: "Rory has been friendly with Keith Richards for some time, and it was at Keith's invitation that he joined the Stones in Holland. Of course, this was only a guest appearance, and there is no question of Rory joining the Stones on a permanent basis. In fact, no sooner had he returned to London than he had to fly off to Japan at the start of his own world tour."

A Stones spokesman commented: "They are not in any hurry to find a permanent replacement for Mick Taylor, and they intend to use various guest guitarists on the new album." NME understands that ex-Mountain stalwart Leslie West may be another guest to be featured. Jimmy Page and Ron Wood have already contributed to individual tracks.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  24. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

The parts he played in those early 80s videos.

25. telepicker97

You can't recall the solo to 'Beast of Burden' in your head?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.