Grateful Dead-Pacific Northwest-73-74/19 disc box set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by I333I, Jun 12, 2018.

1. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Was that a haiku?

jay.dee likes this.
  2. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

'73 & '74 also special in that the boys were breaking out of set list/song ennui and ruts. Post hiatus years very good for that too!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  3. jmcinnis

jmcinnis Forum Resident

Yes “An Evening with the Grateful Dead” was shown on Showtime Cable, featuring the 10/30/80 show.

Crispy Rob and ianuaditis like this.
  4. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

I am going to another note of negativity, dressed up as caution, and say, "I really hope that none of these shows run at the incorrect speed. Plangent Processing is good and all but largely fruitless if the tapes are not transferred at the correct speed (and therefore pitch)."

bzfgt likes this.
  5. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

That doesn't bother me too much unless I try to play along with the music on an instrument. I don't have "perfect pitch" ears. But, yes, hopefully this box will be A=440.

budwhite and Six Bachelors like this.
  6. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

It's more the principle of the thing that bothers me - if they go to all this trouble and expense to avoid tape wow and flutter it is surprising that they apparently don't go to much trouble to ensure that the tapes are transferred at the speed that faithfully reproduces the pitch of the performance.

7. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

The Dave's Pick releases are streets ahead of Dick's in the sound quality/attention to detail department.
    There are def a handful of Dick's that could use a bit of erm.....audio fluffing, if you will. Lols.

8. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

After all, the band spent the first twenty minutes of every show trying to achieve that ... :tiphat:

9. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Agreed. The early DPs could be better. But overall the consistency has been pretty good, if you like Norman's sound. At least we don't have to talk about loudness issues. I can't even imagine that.

10. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

400 left per one comment on that site - ??? Don't know if accurate but if true.. wow.

ianuaditis likes this.
  11. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

And you get the last version, too. And even the other version!

talkingleaf, trd, unravelled and 8 others like this.
  12. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

It looks like that was a glitch, the comments now say at least 9900 are still there.

cwsiggy likes this.
  13. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

There's still over 9000 boxes available. This is not going to sell out, not even close.
    The downloads are cheaper and no extra shipping cost, and the compilation is to damn good and has a great price

I'm betting they'll go with a 3, maximun 4 show box next year. Priced at $99 or lower.
    Arc '69, Fox theatre '72 or '80s pre coma

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  14. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Ark box, Ark box, Ark box, Ark box, Ark box, Ark box, Ark box, Ark box, Ark box, Ark box, Ark box, Ark box, Ark box, Ark box, Ark box, Ark box, Ark box, Ark box, Ark box, Ark box (ad infinitum until finally released.)

talkingleaf, mmthmj, JayB and 6 others like this.
  15. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Sorry - Fox Theater. :p

bzfgt likes this.
  16. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Grateful Dead Weekly #9: The Ark – Boston, MA 4/21-23/69

mmthmj, Doggiedogma and AlienRendel like this.
  17. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

I mentioned it way back in the salad days of this thread

Freebird likes this.
  18. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

19. Ellsworth

Ellsworth Forum Resident

This is
    I am really psyched for this box set. Norman does a great job overall. I am curious to know if anyone thinks that the last Dave's Picks ('71) seems to be mastered noticeably louder than previous ones. It certainly seems to be the case to me. This will likely go down as my favorite of any box set released so I just hope that they don't mess this one up.

20. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

The speed/pitch has been correct(ed) even on Dave’s Picks for the past couple of years now. I think the last snafus were in the 30 Trips box.

budwhite, Six Bachelors and US Blues like this.
  21. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

Which ones need fluffing? The only one I had major issues with was #9. Only Dicks Picks I’ve sold or traded in.

22. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

I only own a few Dave's but, based upon what I hear of DaP v. DiP (of which I own or have owned almost the whole series at some time), I would say there's been a shift in philosophy, over how the raw tapes are turned into official releases; the early DiP feel like flat transfers much of the time and, whilst very crankable, they suffer to a degree from lacking a certain sparkle. Compare, for example, DiP2's drum/cymbal sound against DaP's 26 - there's much more clarity to the latter.

This isn't to say that I would advocate major EQ "goosing", but I think that lessons have been learnt & applied, re some subtle tweaking, as the GD's 2-track release programmes have evolved.

rxcory, AlienRendel, budwhite and 2 others like this.
  23. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

It's funny how quickly we adapt to new circumstances. With the last few DaPs and GSTL box selling out in record time, it's like we expect everything to be at the same pace. It's only been for sale 1 week, and still has just under 3 months until it ships. Patience Daniel San.

ianuaditis likes this.
  24. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

There’s distortion in the recording itself for the last ‘71 Dave’s Picks. Vocal microphones are overloaded at times.

bmoregnr likes this.
  25. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I am not through the whole thing yet, and I have not looked at any numbers, but it didn’t strike me as being any louder but rather a good bit brighter; and I don’t think that was Norman necessarily. I think the vocal mics they were using, the guitar tones, the upright piano, Phil a little drier, it to me leads to notice a pretty big, maybe 6-7 kHz, spike all over that tape relative to most any other GD tape I have heard in a long while (just a guess as to what Hz, I’m no expert). I don’t so far think it is related to the quality of the tape either but rather it seems mix related to me. That and I think Billy is so far pretty light on the kick this night, so it is all drawing your ear to this hump that I could certainly see as being perceived as louder as man it is a less than soothing part of the spectrum. I am completely guessing that Norman well noticed this but perhaps he felt he could only work around it so much before changing the nature of other areas or the mix overall. I for one am in the camp if it’s the way it is then it’s the way it is, so this isn’t any issue for me, and I know he does the best he can with these things.

rxcory, Crispy Rob, adamos and 6 others like this.