Chaos And Creation vinyl reissue.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Classicrock, Apr 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

I bought the original CD when it came out. I am a fan of the album (I count it among his best modern wra work), but always found the SQ of the original CD lacking, due to it being way too loud

How does the mastering of this vinyl reissue compare to the original CD?

I would like to get it, but if it is just a loud mess pressed to wax, I will probably skip. Thanks!

2. Funi

Funi Forum Resident

I allow myself to quote another member (I apologize!):
    I tend to agree.

action pact and Joey_Corleone like this.
  3. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

I'm really surprised there haven't been any complaints about the cheapened packaging vs. the original pressing.

4. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

I'd be really frustrated if the new vinyl is significantly better than the original. I didn't buy the vinyl when it came out and was very tempted by the reissue until I learnt that it was sans gatefold. To have to buy both editions (one for the cover art and one for the mastering) would be very annoying.

ted321 and cmi like this.
  5. Funi

Funi Forum Resident

Just think that I bought the New's reissue only 'cause I read somewhere (you know, I remember exactly where I read it...) that it sounds better. A five years' old album. And I have the original pressing! :crazy:
    To be honest, I was in the mood to reassess the album and then...bam, that article! :realmad:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  6. Joey_Corleone

Ordered from Amazon! It is not the gold one, but I assume the mastering is the same. Hopefully, it will be an improvement. I was really surprised at the difference between the CD and original vinyl pressing of “New”. Vinyl just crushed the CD, no comparison

Funi likes this.
  7. Funi

Funi Forum Resident

Yes, same mastering. I'd like to know your impressions about it!
    But between the original vinyl pressing of “New” and the reissue (not remastered, AFAIK)??!! :confused:

8. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member Thread Starter

One of the worst sounding Lps I have bought. If you thought brickwalled vinyl was not possible think again. What a contrast with the previous Chaos and Creation vinyl.

9. Funi

Funi Forum Resident

What do you think of the reissue compared to the original pressing?

Paul H likes this.
  10. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member Thread Starter

Don't have it and probably will pass unless it's universally claimed as better than original (doubtful).

11. Funi

Funi Forum Resident

It's understandable. Yes, doubtful.

12. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

The black vinyl reissue sounds amazing!

13. Joey_Corleone

I was talking about comparing the original CD with the original vinyl of “New” - Night and day

14. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Just got this recently and sounds great IMO don’t have another copy to compare to though

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  15. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Yeah. It seems remarkable to me that they went to the effort of mimicking original packaging down to posters, etc. (even inverting McCartney on the spine of his debut - like UK first pressings) for most of these reissues, and then they take Chaos and New and eliminate the gatefold and pare down the inserts for their reissues - bizarre.

Btw, part of the "weight" of the original Chaos wasn't just the gatefold - it also had four inner-sleeve-sized inserts of those (hideous) "line drawings".

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    Mr. Explorer likes this.
  16. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

Sent my gold copy back to Bull Moose because it was pretty noisy. Got my replacement copy this weekend it sounds WAY better. Night and day. This is a great pressing, if you get a good copy.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  17. Funi

Funi Forum Resident

No, no, I apologize, maybe my post wasn't clear: I understood your point, what I was referring to is my own previous post:
    Sorry!

Joey_Corleone likes this.
  18. Joey_Corleone

Oh, OK. No worries! I can't help but wonder myself why they decided to reissue "New". It's only 5 years old, and while the original CD was just sort of OK sounding, the original vinyl sounds really nice. Is it already out of print or something? Is it just a reissue or a remaster? Seems like remastering a 5 year old record would not really be necessary.

19. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

All I care about is the music. Packaging is nice and appreciated, but all I want is a nice sounding pressing of whatever album I'm buying, and all the relevant liner notes/information.

20. Funi

Funi Forum Resident

Thanks! Indeed. I don't know if it's out of print, I'm pretty sure it is "only" a reissue, not a remaster. Maybe a re-cut has been done, this could be relevant.

21. Pretty.Odd.

just a reissue. the original pressing is going out of print because it was distributed by Paul's former record label, Concord. Now that he switched to Capitol, it was reissued to stay in print. should sound pretty identical

22. Joey_Corleone

Thanks! That makes perfect sense too. Funny how he is going back to Capitol. I had found it interesting that he was on such a relatively small unknown label (at least to me)

Pretty.Odd. likes this.
  23. Funi

Funi Forum Resident

Thank you for the info.

24. Joey_Corleone

Is the new Chaos a remaster or just reissue?

25. Pretty.Odd.

Just a reissue

Joey_Corleone likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.