Classic Albums that have lost stature

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by colgems1966, Jun 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I'm surprised to be the first to say it, but it was Neil Young who sang the "pissing in the wind" lyric.

Bob was only blowing!

john lennonist and drad dog like this.
  2. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Sorry if I seemed to be over-reacting. It's just that I never before heard or read of anybody having the slightest problem with that image.

phillyal1 likes this.
  3. ostrichfarm

ostrichfarm Forum Resident

No worries. It's one of those things that was sort of ignored for a long time, and probably overlooked by most -- but unfortunately is perfect for Facebook/Twitter "Did you know...?" clickbait.

Personally, my stance is that if an outspoken, anti-racist black man and exceedingly accomplished creative artist like Mingus didn't see it as a problem, then I would defer to him (and value his opinion more than just about anyone else's), but others may disagree.

4. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

I don't care whether or not they're listening to the Beatles or Zeppelin. I'm more interest in if they're listening to Royal Blood or the Black Keys.

5. Andrew J

Andrew J Forum Resident

Looks a pretty fair assessment to me. The rateyourmusic all time best rated records (an aggregate polled from a fairly critically minded and slightly younger but knowledgeable readership includes:

a) Stuff this forum can't get enough of
    - Beatles
    - Dylan
    -Bowie
    - Pink Floyd
    - King Crimson
    - Led Zeppelin
    - Doors
    - Nirvana

b) Other stuff that gets talked about on this forum to lesser extent, but far less than the above, and generally in a positive light
    - Talking Heads
    - Smiths
    - Velvet Underground
    - Sabbath
    - Talking Heads
    -Miles Davis
    - Arcade Fire
    - Nick Drake
    - Television
    - Mingus

c) Artists that cause rows, and are met with both derision and praise
    - Kanye West (queue 'it's not even music...')
    - Wu Tan Klan
    - Kendrick Lamar
    - Radiohead (x3)

d) stuff that people on this forum rarely talk about, if at all (some may not even be aware they exist(ed), or care)
    - My Bloody Valentine
    - Joy Division
    - Neutral Milk Hotel
    - Godspeed you Black Emperor
    - Nas
    - Pixies

Yep, 3 Radiohead albums are in the top 40 but no Rolling Stones. The first of theirs appears at no 84! Might be hard to swallow here where most of the time here seems to be that music = classic rock.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  6. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I must say that thought occurred to me also. Not that people ever let the facts of someone's life get in the way of a nice juicy scandal.

The sooner Facebook and Twitter disappear off the face of the planet the better.

mrbobdobalina likes this.
  7. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

These trucks so big that when you are in a parking lot and need to back up, it is virtually impossible to look backwards without worrying about smashing your car, etc.

Fullbug likes this.
  8. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

My son discovered both at 17 -- from Pandora !

9. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

How did this turn into a thread about trucks?

john lennonist, dalem5467 and Fullbug like this.
  10. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I'm not 50 but I can see what you're saying.
    Sometimes it seems like if the good taste and coolness belong to the teenagers

JDeanB and onlyacanvasky like this.
  11. dmiller458

But if they deferred to his judgement, they wouldn't be able to exercise their smug, self-anointed sanctimony.

mrbobdobalina likes this.
  12. dmiller458

Welcome to the era of intersectionality.

13. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

a) Stuff this forum can't get enough of
    - Beatles
    - Dylan
    -Bowie
    - Pink Floyd
    - King Crimson
    - Led Zeppelin
    - Doors
    - Nirvana

b) Other stuff that gets talked about on this forum to lesser extent, but far less than the above, and generally in a positive light
    - Talking Heads
    - Smiths
    - Velvet Underground
    - Sabbath
    - Talking Heads
    -Miles Davis
    - Arcade Fire
    - Nick Drake
    - Television
    - Mingus

c) Artists that cause rows, and are met with both derision and praise
    - Kanye West (queue 'it's not even music...')
    - Wu Tan Klan
    - Kendrick Lamar
    - Radiohead (x3)

d) stuff that people on this forum rarely talk about, if at all (some may not even be aware they exist(ed), or care)
    - My Bloody Valentine
    - Joy Division
    - Neutral Milk Hotel
    - Godspeed you Black Emperor
    - Nas
    - Pixies

Yep, 3 Radiohead albums are in the top 40 but no Rolling Stones. The first of theirs appears at no 84! Might be hard to swallow here where most of the time here seems to be that music = classic rock.[/QUOTE]

I sent the besteveralbums.com list to my best man in my wedding 40 yrs ago and he said he couldn’t tell you a song title from the Radiohead albums and never heard of Arcade Fire. But he could on and on about the Bottle Rockets.

14. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

"Cue"

not queue.

15. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

Another good example might be Jethro Tull. Think about Aqualung and Thick As A Brick. Both of those were huge back in the day, and at minimum I think Aqualung would be considered a "classic." Both those records are still pretty great imo, but it seems the test of time has not been too kind to either one.

16. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Something I find interesting is that although I seem to be one of the older members on this forum (I am 69) I seem to listen to more new or newish music, and have very little interest in the music of the 50s or earlier. The oldest music I own dates from 1965.

What does that mean I wonder? Is it that the music younger members here grew up with is of the sort that does not continue to hold their interest once they mature? The first "pop" music I heard was late 1950s rock 'n' roll, but I disliked most of it then and I have never returned to it.

17. dmiller458

The music I grew up on is the music I love the most, but it's also the music I listen to the least. Between Top 40 and classic rock radio, that music are already engrained into my soul. I'm going back and listening to old blues, country, folk, gospel or jazz that was before my time. OR I'm listening to music from 2000 to today.

18. RE: Grand Funk Railroad is another one. Classic band with several good albums. At one point they were Capitol records biggest selling artists but you wouldn’t know it today.

Yeah, I think I really only know one Grand Funk Railroad song (hit) that wasn't a cover -- so while they aren't precisely a one-hit-wonder, in my mind they're kind of close -- or certainly from the perspective of when I first started hearing them on classic-rock radio in the mid-80's (I'll be 50 next year).

19. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I love these 2 albums though.

20. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Shawn Mendes, one of the biggest music stars of the under-20 crowd, basically says in multiple interviews that one of his idols is John Mayer.
    Now, how much does that translate to Mayer having that younger fanbase? Not much, but he's on the radar of many teenagers at least (and as a singer/songwriter, not guitarist). I doubt many teenagers are checking out the new version of the Dead because of Mendes, but having a much younger guy that they have at least HEARD of offers an entry point into the Dead's music that most 50-year-old bands don't have.
    Also, a few musical acts will ALWAYS appeal to kids who start smoking and doing hallucinogens.... The Dead, Bob Marley, and more recently Sublime. None of them are losing their cachet anytime soon.

21. onlyacanvasky

onlyacanvasky Your guess is as good as mine.

Sorry, I’ve been reading this thread through and all I can think of is this, from 20 years ago

[​IMG]

22. dmiller458

"Quit living in the past" said the guy with the Beatles avatar.

Black Magic Woman likes this.
  23. dmiller458

How original of you...

24. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Fair points, and I think the Doors are still on the radar of the younger crowd.... Just not to the extent they were in the last few decades. They REALLY had a strong appeal to the youth in the 80s, 90s, and even early 2000s, far beyond most bands of the 1960s. (They were arguably bigger than The Beatles when I was in college, for instance.)
    I never spotted any kids under 25 buying Jethro Tull in my years at the record store, but I suspect Aqualung is on their radar at least. But I think the current reissues are primarily targeting the original audience and not bringing any new listeners in.

Someone mentioned Dylan, and he's out there on an island. I think he has a selective appeal to a younger crowd, but it's there. So... FLAT? Same as Neil Young, honestly. (He seemed to be gaining fans for a solid decade following the Pearl Jam connection, and now he's leveled off.) Both of these guys will probably see a major bump when they pass away, FBOW.

Speaking of, two others I forgot, both trending UP because of their tragic demises, unfortunately. David Bowie and Tom Petty. Bowie had been gaining more cultural cachet for over a decade, though... Basically once he stopped touring, his mystique started growing.

Oh, and someone mentioned Sabbath. Trending WAY UP. Arguably as big as Zeppelin now, which wasn't true even a decade ago.

maui jim and Tristero like this.
  25. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

yeah me either....it doesn't hurt that you have to be told its joni lol. well, not how soon will we see a gort slap a lock on this thread? I give it one more page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.