Jethro Tull: Songs From The Wood 40th Anniversary Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kim Olesen, Sep 17, 2015.

1. electronicpaperboy

electronicpaperboy Forum Resident

I bought some sets at embarrassing cheap prices on Amazon after a month or so of release, £12.00 Warchild, £14.00 APP. There's no way I would wait now though.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

At least make the music available as a high-quality download, maybe with a PDF of the booklet. That way the material is available and the label saves buckets of money on overhead. I know that HDTracks sold some deluxe Tull sets for a while, but then stopped. Why not keep them on the market? Do they need the cloud space for the next Celine Dion/Kanye West collaboration?

Edit: Checking just now, HDTracks is selling a download of the studio disc of SFTW - so it has the bonus studio tracks, but not the concert material. They're still selling the complete Too Old to Rock 'N' Roll... as a download, but they don't appear to have Minstrel or WarChild at all.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  3. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

I just bought one from amazon Canada. I assume the blu and DVD will play in a region 1 disc player?

4. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

There's no blu-ray. But you're good to go on the DVD since it's Region 0, i.e. not region-locked.

5. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

No thanks on the HDTracks option. Just looking at "Too Old To Rock N' Roll: Too Young To Die!" and its $26.98. That's with no book, DVD with 5.1 mix or additional content.

Too Old To Rock 'N' Roll: Too Young To Die! (Deluxe) | HDtracks - The World's Greatest-Sounding Music Downloads

The "Too Old To Rock N' Roll: Too Young To Die!" deluxe 4 disc set is still available for around $30. Why get the watered down version from HDTracks?

https://www.amazon.com/Too-Old-Rock-Roll-Young/dp/B0155YD1YC

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  6. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

These sets must be bought on release dates or shortly after. It’s too bad that many fans are discovering these gems too late. Stupid eBay flippers artificially inflating prices...

I was fortunate enough to get on the bus with SFTW and get the whole back catalog of deluxe editions including TAAB.

I am still keeping an eye opened for any boxset leftovers during my weekly RSD errand.

electronicpaperboy likes this.
  7. This!

8. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Old Aces Die Hard would have been the best song on any album between Too Old and A.

9. Norco74

It always amazed me how many members, including myself, are not considering this option.

10. antiqueguy19001

antiqueguy19001 Forum Resident

I hope to get this sometime, SFTW is in my top 3 favorite Tull albums, and Jethro Tull is easily in my top 5 favorite bands.

11. These boxes are well regarded. The book, liner notes and of course the SQ. Who needs files? Downloads seem so anemic comparatively. Thank goodness this amazing series was in the form of physical media that I can cherish for the rest of my life.

12. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Top 10 band. Top 6 album. Same percentile;)

antiqueguy19001 likes this.
  13. Norco74

Agree but in this digital era, I would have expected some company to come up with a better offer than what is currently available on these download or streaming sites. The latter been very interesting for its low monthly costs. Both models lacking in presentation and value added goodies.

14. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Not sure how Tull aren’t everyone’s fave band after these remixes :cool:

15. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

these boxsets are fantastic. I own 4 although one is the older stand up release

PROGGER likes this.
  16. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Same statement, but sub out "before" for "after." :winkgrin:

PROGGER likes this.
  17. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Tull must have at least 100 strong tracks above 4 stars. The next best band might have 50. When I say strong, I mean smart composition with good sound. Eg no horrible 80s drums :D

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

When I pose that question, a lot of people say that it's the flute and Anderson's fluctuating singing style that keeps them away.
    I'm fine with that stuff - but I understand how it's not for everyone.

19. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Not sure how anyone can’t like the natural sound of the brass flute. Only when the sound is distorted and unnatural is when I would agree. Not crazy about tin flute either

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  20. Vorlon

Vorlon Forum Resident

Flute blower may disagree. :D

21. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Nah. It’s pretty good but it probably wouldn’t make my top 10 of that period. It may be almost 9 minutes but length doesn’t mean much. If I had a 4 minute classic then there was an extended 7 minute version with additions which were good but not great, I’d prefer the 4 minute version. Old aces is pretty good and better than solstice, hunting and maybe velvet imo. I have it on my altered album version. It gives the album a bit of grunt. I actually took off solstice and velvet. Would be nice singles though. Good songs but the album needed something heavy :D

22. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

You took off Velvet Green? Damn, that's my favorite song on the album. Different strokes...

Mirsset likes this.
  23. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

It’s cool. Probably my fifth fave from the album

24. Pim

Pim Forum Resident

My copy of the box just shipped from Amazon.ca. Had been on order for weeks/months, I cancelled it. Ordered it again, but this time with priority shipping for $18 extra. Shipped within 24 hours. Will probably have to pay some import taxes, but at least I'll have it.

25. Pim

Pim Forum Resident