Buy New Speakers or Other Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by FlexFantastic, Jun 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FlexFantastic

FlexFantastic Mechano-Man of the Future! Thread Starter

Hey all- thanks in advance for any advice. I've been working on my stereo system the last couple years, researching and picking out most of my pieces of equipment with some level of deliberation (I believe my set-up should be up-to-date in my profile). The one exception were the speakers for for my stereo which was a "hey, do you want some free speakers" situation. Which was great! But I'm getting the itch to fiddle with my system a bit and the speakers, as the equipment I didn't research and pick out ahead of time, stick out as a place to do it.

Locally, someone is selling some JM Labs Electra 906s for $350 which seems like a pretty good deal for, from what I'm reading, is a fairly well-regarded speaker. I'm reasonably confident they'd be a big upgrade from my JBL Northbridge N26 IIs, but I guess before I pull the trigger I'm opening it up as to whether, based on my system as listed, I'm right to lean towards speakers to upgrade next or if anyone has other recommendations (whether it be a different component to pick-up/upgrade or another speaker recommendation). I'm trying to keep whatever I do under $500, so spending a couple grand on a new amp or 'table is probably not in the cards.

Again, thanks for any advice from the knowledgeable folks here!

2. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Speakers! Cuz their cool:)
    And the most important part of the system. IMHO

3. Helom

Helom Forum member

I'm not even a Focal fan but if i found a local pair of (good condition) Electra 906s for $350 I'd probably buy them. I'm confident they'll be a good upgrade over those JBLs.

H8SLKC, FlexFantastic and head_unit like this.
  4. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Yes, I agree with @Helom, drink the Kool-Aid! Do it!
    The N26s simply use less sophisticated drivers than the JM Labs (now going by Focal).

H8SLKC and FlexFantastic like this.
  5. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Big Klipsch floorstanders.

6. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Yes!

7. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

I prefer “giant” :)

H8SLKC likes this.
  8. FlexFantastic

FlexFantastic Mechano-Man of the Future! Thread Starter

Thanks for the encouragement! I was able to audition the Electra 906s in my system this weekend and went ahead and made the purchase. Just an obvious upgrade over my existing speakers, so it made it a no brainer. My lady had OK'd the purchase, but seemed a bit more enthusiastic after I played her some Justin Timberlake out of the system and she heard how much more fun it was than with the old system. :winkgrin:

9. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

That's great, you got a good upgrade in sound for not much dookie.

10. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

You had me until you mentioned Timberlake...... :shh:

Helom, H8SLKC and SirMarc like this.
  11. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

I've got Focal 726s in my main system and they are outstanding IMO. Glad you like your new set.

mike catucci and FlexFantastic like this.
  12. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

Some years ago, I upgraded from JBL S38 to Focal Cobalt 806S. That was quite an eye opener for me. The JBL speakers had a pleasant quality and punch about them, but the Focal speakers were so much more revealing.

FlexFantastic likes this.
  13. Fedot L

Fedot L Forum Resident

Why do you so surely, please?
    As for me I don’t.
    I’d say a real upgrade would be a pair of big 3-way floor standers (having a sufficiently large woofer each or a pair of less large woofers each), and a good quality graphic equalizer to insert into your system, at least 10-band with its “lowest” slider at not higher than 31 Hz, +-12 dB, 0.00x% (0,00x% who likes it more) THD.

Taking care to not exceed reasonable boosts of the lowest and/or the highest frequencies at high listening levels!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.