Used SACD/HDCD Player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by FlexFantastic, Jun 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FlexFantastic

FlexFantastic Mechano-Man of the Future! Thread Starter

There are some threads on this, but often fairly old, so figured I'd refresh this question: any recommendations on a "bargain" used SACD/HDCD player? Trying to keep the budget under $300 if possible (a harder task with Oppo products becoming much more sought after following their shuttering, it seems). Alternatively, any recommendations for cheaper, older SACD and HDCD players, respectively? The Sony SCD-CE595, for example, was getting recommended several years ago as a cheap bargain pick-up for SACD playback, but I don't know if that recommendation still holds or not. Any advice is appreciated!

2. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

3. FlexFantastic

Thanks! HifiShark is pretty useful, I was not aware of it before. When doing initial searches for some of those Oppo models, prices were coming back a lot higher but there are definitely still some reasonably priced used units to bid on with a little sifting. Much appreciated!

Bill Mac likes this.
  4. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

My pleasure :)! Check out the classifieds at US Audio Mart as well. The great thing about HifiShark is if you set up an account and do a specific component search they'll send emails when there are listings at many different sites.

5. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

It would be hard for me to strike Sony off the list for service issues and turn around and buy a product from a company getting ready to turn the lights off.

6. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Real easy for me. My experience with Sony service in the past is horrible. It got to a point where it was cheaper to throw out the CD, SACD and DVD players than pay to have them serviced by Sony. It was a crap shoot if the players would actually be fixed and return in the same condition as sent. I owned at least six Sony CD, SACD and DVD in the past. Not one of them worked after a few years some not even that long.

I will continue to recommend Oppo players even with them going out of business. Just as I'll continue to not recommend Sony players from my experiences with a company that has no interest in service after the sale. A quick Google search will show the many complaints about Sony service now and in the past.

7. caupina

caupina Forum Resident

Denon (I'm biased, I admit it :D)...you could fetch a 3930/2930/3910/2910 for USD 300 or less...just be aware of their laser assembly/pickup issues which are not expensive to repair if they fail....other than that it's an outstanding player.

8. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Oppos might be better all around players then Sony's. I've owned several of both but not in the same price points so I couldn't say myself. But I essentially see parity with a company with bad support and a company that doesn't exist. A person very concerned about service should likely avoid both brands IMO.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  9. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

There has been a number of them on this site as well, so keep checking here.

10. jfbar167

jfbar167 Forum Resident

11. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

You make some valid points. If we lived inside of a vacuum, I would be inclined to side with you. And I definitely see good reasons for supporting the existing remaining manufacturers, if one desires to keep the SACD format alive for much longer.

However, what you are not taking into account here is that Sony's going in for repair within the first few years of life is pretty common for many models of SACD player. But with Oppos, needing repairs, even after 10+ years of hard usage, just is not common at all. The Oppos are just super well constructed and very reliable machines, and the Sonys are not. It's really just as simple as that.

Yes you may still be able to send a Sony in for repairs while it is under warranty. That is very good thing, because there is a good chance that you will actually need this warranty support. But with Oppo, the chances of ever needing repairs within the working-lifespan of a given machine are pretty low.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
    Audiowannabee, Bill Mac and kevywevy like this.
  12. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

13. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

I recently won a 2910 on eBay for $50 + shipping. Arrived in very good condition, and included the remote. I don't use multi-channel, but the DSD layers on my two dozen discs sound very nice indeed. Perfect buy for my modest needs.

eyeCalypso, caupina and c-eling like this.
  14. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

Look to even older Oppo units, like the DV-980H, if SACD and HDCD (and not Blu-ray) are all that's important to you.

I've had one in my main HT for a number of years and bought a second one for my family room HT last month for $100 (plus shipping) off US Audio Mart.

It handles other formats as well - like DVD-Audio.

Full suite of analog and digital outputs, and it will pass DSD through its HDMI output (if that's of interest.)

Jeff

15. Look into the list of cheaper SACD players that can be used to digitally rip SACDs. That is always a handy option to have for pricey SACDs.

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

16. FlexFantastic

Thanks all for the comments and suggestions. To close the loop, I stretched my budget slightly and picked up a used Oppo BDP-95 from a listing here on the forums. Came today and have been having a blast with it. Major upgrade from my previous player and fun to be able to utilize the HDCD and SACD layers on those discs that I have.

17. van1

van1 Forum Resident

I just picked up an Oppo 83 blu ray (yes very late to the party). I have a Sony 5.1 home theatre that plays sacd's and a 65" 4k Hd tv. I'd really love some tips on how to get the best out of my Oppo for watching movies and listening to music. Please let me know if there are any other threads I should refer to, otherwise my questions are:

Q1 Does / should it make any difference if I plug the Oppo directly into the tv or via the Sony blu ray home theatre to watch movies on blu ray or dvd?
    Q2 What about playing music, should I be hearing any better sacd reproduction from the Oppo if its still being played by the Sony, or will the outputting from the Sony through its speakers be the limiter to quality?
    If I want to get a new amp and speakers, what low end price suggestions do you have (5.1 set up preferable

Many thanks

18. Connect the Oppo to the Sony if possible, if I understand the question correctly. It has to sound better than going directly into your television. Look around the hardware forum for amp and speaker suggestions.

van1 likes this.
  19. van1

van1 Forum Resident

Thanks, the tv is still connected via hdmi to the Sony home theatre, I just wasn’t sure if the picture would be better going direct to the tv or via the Sony, will play around with it

20. Yamaha Denon KLH Nut

Yamaha Denon KLH Nut Somewhere Lost in The Music

If you can find one the Onkyo CS5VL is a decent SACD player, it went for about $500 when new, nowadays it can be had for under $200, I fact I just picked up a 2nd one used from a local pawn shop for $100. Not sure if it does HDCD don’t own any to test.

jfbar167 likes this.
  21. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I had a Pioneer DV-563A years ago and it worked really well. I was not into SACD so when the first BD players came along, I got rid of it.

22. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

Does anyone have experiences with Marantz DVD/SACD players?

23. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

The 3930 was a terrific player. Built like a tank too.

PhantomStranger and caupina like this.
  24. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

The Rotel RCD-991 is no slouch either- I've had mine for 18 years. Though it's a nearly 20 year old construction it's still a great CD player today and it really shines when playing HDCD discs on it. IMHO it's a bargain if it's possible to find one used in great condition.

olschl likes this.
  25. Wasabi

Wasabi Forum Resident

I'm looking for a decent SACD player for around $500ish and under used myself. I'd like to feed it directly via digital coax into my KEF LS50 Wireless speakers. Will most all of them do HDCD, multi-channel, etc. too? If I go analog into the KEFs (and/or headphone amp), are there any with decent DACs built in?

Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    olschl likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.