Really weird, strange, abnormal, or extremely unusual LPs/Albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by maxwell2323, Jun 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bongwater- Double Bummer

which, mind you, includes a cover of Led Zep's "Dazed And Confused" in Cantonese, retitled "Dazed And Chinese." And that isn't even the weirdest thing on the record.

MungoMusic, ganma, Gavinyl and 5 others like this.
  2. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

Everything ever released from The Holy Modal Rounders &

Fraternity Of Man

Panama Hotel and Hot Ptah like this.
  3. BeaTleBob5

BeaTleBob5 John, Paul, George, Ringo & Bob

Stereopathetic Soulmanure by Beck. The only good song on the album is Rowboat which Johnny Cash also recorded on one of his American albums.

4. optoman

optoman Forum Resident

The Helpful Soul - "First Album"
    Crazy Japanese psychedelic blues

5. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

Bryan Ferry These Foolish Things...

Is a all covers LP from the Don Juan of rock...

All the bathos found within the grooves of the debut solo effort from Roxy Music front man adds to the strangeness found on this 1974 masterpiece...

The production is a one of a kind sound from the 1970s & only adds to the bathos within...

Continued listenings reveal more & more that there is nothing trivial or ridulous about the passion that was put into this album....

Essential listening

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
    Gavinyl, mr.datsun and phillyal1 like this.
  6. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Oh man, that's transcendental. It's the sound of every music fan who thinks they can make great music, if only they had the time. After all, after that much air guitar, you must have picked up some skills, right? Wonderful.

7. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

:edthumbs:
    [​IMG]

8. stetsonic

stetsonic Forum Resident

Cromagnon's "Orgasm" is certainly very interesting for a 1969 LP. Complete with Norwegian black metal vocals and anachronistic drum sounds...

9. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

10. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Two sides, two tracks on the CD, two audio collages made from very raw tapes (sometimes sped up, repeated etc) with various well-known early Sonic Youth tracks. A live snippet is taken from a radio broadcast on a french radio station with the DJ talking, something that's been intriguing me for years.

Gavinyl likes this.
  11. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

This is how I first heard this album and I loved it as it was presented to me...even if the drums and bass overdubs sounded weird and unnatural to these teenage ears who had yet to hear the original.They didn't gel. As soon as I listened to the 68 stereo mix, this latter version has been gathering dust...Very different and strange listening experience.

maxwell2323 likes this.
  12. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

What the hell...
    This freaky french album is revered in some quarters.

notesofachord likes this.
  13. Chew

Chew Casual Stalker

[​IMG]
    From 1961. A 4 record set on clear red vinyl, telling you exactly how to fly a large plane. No book or pictures included (except for cover photo).

14. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Not only this album is pretty weird as is (the dark, dissonant side of US psychedelia) but it was made even weirder by the fact the playback speed on the record was accidentally FASTER (and with a higher pitch of course) than how these guys actually recorded it...:yikes:

Gumboo and REMASTERANTER like this.
  15. plentyofjamjars67

plentyofjamjars67 Forum Resident

Also, whoever mentioned the song-poem stuff, I still love the v/a LP, Beat Of The Traps

Should have charted on Billboard:

16. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

If you ever get the chance to watch "Off the Charts: The Song-Poem Story" documentary it is amazing

[​IMG]

Dudley Morris and Farmer Mike like this.
  17. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

The balance on that album was lousy. I'm hoping that Steven Wilson gets around to remixing it.

maxwell2323 and Curious Breeze like this.
  18. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

We've had threads about other "three sided albums." There was Rahsaan Roland Kirk's The Case Of The Three-Sided Dream In Audio Color, which may be strange enough to be worth mentioning here.

One that I own is Keith Jarrett's Eyes Of The Heart, which is just a live album from a concert that was only long enough to fill three LP sides.

19. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

The original Vinyl sounds best.

Curious Breeze likes this.
  20. StarDoG

StarDoG Forum Resident

Manfred Mann's The Earth Band ... their 74 release "The Good Earth"..... from wiki... Early owners of each copy of The Good Earth were entitled to rights over 1 square foot of the earth situated at Llanerchyrfa in the County of Brecon, in Wales. The inner sleeve included a coupon that had to be sent for registration. This was part of the promotion activities linked to the album that had ecological inspirations. There was no swindle and thousands of fans were registered. Registration could be done on or before 31 December 1975.

By splitting the land up into such tiny parcels it meant that, it was virtually impossible for them to be purchased as a single block for development.

ARK, ganma and Dudley Morris like this.
  21. ostrichfarm

ostrichfarm Forum Resident

22. tensummoner

tensummoner wish i had a nickle.. thats it just wish i had 1

Cherry Poppin Daddies -Zoot Suit Riot
    Leonard Nimoy's Christmas album
    Tenacious D - self titled
    Shawn Brown - The Rappin Duke
    The Dead Milkmen-Big Lizard in my backyard- and -Eat your Paisley

maxwell2323 likes this.
  23. bosskeenneat

bosskeenneat Forum Resident

Wasn't the original pressing of Billy Joel's "Cold Spring Harbor" actually much faster than normal?

24. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

What’s odd about Zoot Suit Riot?

vince likes this.
  25. veloso2

veloso2 Forum Resident

caetano veloso: araça azul. this lp was the most sent back album by customers for a major artist!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.