Replacement Phono Cartridge Noticeably Quieter w/same specs

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by glide, Jun 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glide

glide Forum Resident Thread Starter

I just replaced the cartridge in my system and the output I am getting requires me to turn the pre-amp up an additional 10% to achieve a similar level of volume.

I went from a Goldring Eroica LX (.5mV output) to a Hana SL (.5mV output).

Loading is the same at 1000 ohms, both carts are MC, all tonearm connections are secure, nothing else changed in the system with the exception of the tonearm counterweight position.

Any idea what could account for such a discrepancy in volume?

2. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Nothing to worry about. Just variance in measuring specs between companies, and possibly variance in manufacturing. Carts can be 1 or 2 db off published specs, and styli can be one or two db off published specs. Everything might have added together to give you a "louder" Eroica, and this time a "softer" Hana. This is why everything (consumer level) has volume and other controls. How does it sound?

PhilBiker likes this.
  3. Davey

Davey NP: Broadcast ~ The Noise Made by People (2000 LP)

Well, another problem these days is that all manufacturers don't specify what velocity is used for the measurement. The Goldring is spec'd at 0.5mV 1dB, 1kHz @ 5 cm/sec, whereas the Hana is just spec'd at 0.5mV/1kHz. The measurement used to be done at 3.54 cm/sec, but there's a lot of room for differences, cartridges and their provided specs usually aren't very precise.

JohnO and PhilBiker like this.
  4. glide

glide Forum Resident Thread Starter

It sounds amazing :D

Different from the Glodring, and obviously not broken in yet, but I'm expecting big things.

JohnO and PhilBiker like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.