Curved tv screen vs flat?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Nice Marmot, Jun 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore Thread Starter

I have to admit this up front, I am not a tv gear head. I still use a regular DVD player and am happy with whatever I plug it into. That being said, we are considering replacing our tv with a bigger one, as they are pretty inexpensive, right now. It seems to me that this question is pretty basic; but I have no idea, so:

What is the difference between a screen with a curve and one that is flat; and, which do you prefer between the two?

2. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

Haven't spent much time looking at them, but in theory you should be able to view the screen from a more severe angle than a typical flat screen. Past that I'm not sure what the advantage would be.

Nice Marmot likes this.
  3. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Are bent TV screens still a thing? I wouldn't have thought so. Bent screens were always just a marketing gimmick designed to shift more product. They have many disadvantages, from picture distortion to viewing angles - you have to sit in the center sweet-spot to get the least distorted view, which may be fine if you're the only one watching.

It really was an answer to a question no one ever asked.

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

never bought into the curved screen...

audiomixer, Scope J and Leonthepro like this.
  5. Nice Marmot

What you're saying makes sense. It seems a smaller room would be less susceptible to the bad viewing angles. Our room is pretty big. Mrs. Marmot has read about the "reflection effect" (from the windows, on one side of the room) being less with a curved. Her daughter has one and loves it. She says that with the flat, they had, more glare; but her room is small. Someone on our guest couch, on the severe right, wouldn't get a good picture with a curve. In her house, there's no bad seat, because everything is closer.

I'm thinking about a flat and a wall mount that will allow the tv to pivot away from the windows and towards the spare couch.

6. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

see no discernible viewer benefit to curved

Nice Marmot likes this.
  7. Nice Marmot

I do doubt my stepdaughter's opinion :laugh: .

8. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

9. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Cinerama, anyone?

10. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Who cares if they arent??

I love curved screens.... I do not like flat anything!!

11. The Wanderer

Went to see "Ice Station Zebra" at Radio City Music Hall, in 3-camera Cinerama - and boy was I disappointed - only served to reveal fake studio sets - sort a primer on what not to do - after the audience awe as the curtain opened - seemingly forever, inspiring excitement, only to see a second-rate movie, not saved by technology.

'Technology' - not matter how sophisticated - will not be better than a great but unrestored movie from the 1930's - thinking of Kay Francis at this moment.

[​IMG]

Hardy Melville likes this.
  12. DaveySR

DaveySR Forum Resident

Actually, Ice Station Zebra was one of the later, single camera, Cinerama films that was shown on the curved Cinerama screen.

Derek Gee likes this.
  13. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I checked out curved screens. I don't like them.

audiomixer likes this.
  14. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Ice Station Zebra: fantastic movie. Even less women than The Hunt for Red October. See “manly movies” thread.

DaveySR likes this.
  15. Nice Marmot

I went today and let availability be my guide. There was not one curve screen to even preview. I bought a flat.

RickH, forthlin, audiomixer and 3 others like this.
  16. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

From looking at curved sets in appliance stores, I see much more glare and reflection on those screens. My advice is to ignore them. I'm not sure how their sales are doing compared to traditional flat sets, but I would think they were somewhat faddish and slowly going away(?)

Mike from NYC likes this.
  17. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

They're pining for the fjords!

Chris DeVoe and Matt Richardson like this.
  18. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

I can pretty much guarantee that my next new screen(s), whatever they may be, will not be curved.

I use an acoustically-transparent "weave" screen in my main HT that will accommodate whatever projector I buy in the future, if I ever replace the current one.

And in my family room HT a truly flat panel works best, given the range of viewing angles.

I've auditioned a number of curved panels over the last couple of years and never was able to ignore the panel and focus on what was on it.

Jeff

19. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

Well, I always welcome the opportunity to utilize the urban dictionary.

20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Flat, like-a my head.

21. The Wanderer

Assuming you mean with Rock Hudson, the score was impressive, not the story-telling, despite the excellent Alistair MacLean source material.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  22. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

and a stupid one:cheers:

slovell likes this.
  23. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

All I can say is: The only full-blown American movie with Patrick McGoohan as a secret agent -- and at his best in it. The most bad-ass secret agent of all-time. A wild beast ready to pouce (literally). Just killer!

24. Nice Marmot

I have another question.

I have a HDMI laptop that I want to plug into my HDMI port on my tv. What type of plug do I need for the computer? Is it a HDMI micro? Is it universal for each computer or can the plug change by manufacturer?

25. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I don't think the idea is stupid, only that it takes a lot of money, and size to do it properly. Then, it seems to me that the market for curved screens are gamers. I assume that the majority of forumites here are not gamers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.