Oppo UDP-205 Announced

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ti-triodes, Dec 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John D.

John D. Senior Member

ordered :cheers:

The Beave likes this.
  2. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Hoping I get the email, as I verified my email address back in May. Fingers crossed.

3. John D.

John D. Senior Member

FYI: There's a link in the email to order, if you go directly to their website, it only let's you sign up to get in line.

4. MikeT

I assumed that when I just checked their website to see if I could order directly from them without the email indicating I can order.

I guess I will just have to wait and hope I get an email with a link to order. I actually used two separate email addresses, and verified both to get notified, so once I get one I will order (and the other I will do whatever to ensure I release any "hold").

I remember when others were getting the email from Oppo to verify their email addresses, I didn't get mine until the next day, so the same could be true for the email to place an order (assuming they received enough stock to satisfy those who signed up for notification).

5. John D.

John D. Senior Member

I thought this shipment was coming in August, glad I wasn't on vacation. So, these last units are two months early.

6. Heavy Music

Heavy Music Forum Resident

What a thoughtful gesture.

A friend in need is a friend indeed!

Billy Budapest likes this.
  7. zeppage2

zeppage2 Forum Resident

From Oppo:
    Frequently Asked Questions

1. I registered to be notified - why have I not received an e-mail allowing me to buy a UDP-205?

The notification e-mail will come from [email protected] and are sent based on when you registered to validated e-mail addresses. The last batch of UDP-205’s is coming in 3 waves with the 3rd wave being the largest. We are currently selling the 1st wave so you may receive a notification from the 2 remaining waves.
    2. I did not register to be notified but I am still interested in buying a UDP-205. How can I buy one?

We are giving priority to those who have already registered via special e-mail links. If there are any inventory remaining after those who have registered, the UDP-205 will be made available publicly.
    3. How can I buy more than 1 UDP-205?

Due to limited supply and strong demand, we are limiting sales to 1 per customer. Thank you for your understanding.
    4. I received the notification e-mail to buy a UDP-205 but my special link has already expired. Can I still buy one?

To be fair to others who have registered, we must give them a chance to order a UDP-205 during their window of opportunity. If there are any inventory remaining, the UDP-205 will be made available publicly.

Wayne Hubbard likes this.
  8. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

I haven't gotten my email yet….but I am curious: how long is the special link's lifespan? A few hours, a day, a week....?

9. MikeT

@zeppage2 where did you get the faqs? I don't see a link on oppo's website, and if they included them in your email it seems they answer questions someone who didn't get the email would be interested in.

10. zeppage2

zeppage2 Forum Resident

it was on the order page

11. Ah, Placebo, right?

I really don’t need to buy another one, and if I remember correctly, I signed up on the list after I had bought my unit from Oppo but before it had shipped. I did it as a kind of insurance policy. Happy to relinquish it!

12. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Don't forget to check your "Spam" file for incoming e-mail from Oppo.

Guss2 likes this.
  13. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I just checked my email (both that I signed up with) and nothing.

14. zeppage2

zeppage2 Forum Resident

a week

signothetimes53 likes this.
  15. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I didn't get any email.

audiomixer likes this.
  16. Archimago

Archimago Forum Resident

The UDP-205 is a nice machine and the audio performance IMO is rather amazing. I don't think anyone can argue that the sonic output is not "transparent"!

Just posted the "trilogy" of measurement discussions on the device for those interested. I do wish that network DLNA streaming could have been gapless, but at least it can handle multichannel from JRiver... Not perfect but certainly impressive from the perspective of sound quality.

Preview...
    Part I: Digital Filters and stuff...
    Part II: Frequency Response, Noise Level, Distortion...
    Part III: Jitter and Conclusions...

17. Guss2

Guss2 Senior Member

This was just an awesome read. Thank you so much for putting in all the time it undoubtedly took.

The Beave and Linger63 like this.
  18. thewalrusandmeman

thewalrusandmeman New Member

Have you ran similar tests with the 203? Would be really curious to see how the 203 stacks up to the 205

The Beave likes this.
  19. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Excellent review. I would like to get your thoughts on the MiniDSP U-DAC8 and the ExaSound multichannel DACs. Curious how they compare to the 205. Thanks again for the review.

20. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

I put my order in for the final production run 205 on Tuesday night after receiving my link. It delivers today! (I’m in the Bay Area)

It will be my backup unless the value remains constant at $3000 on eBay. I might not be able to resist selling this second one it if it does and hope my 205 lasts 10 years +.

21. I am pondering selling mine but I wouldn’t do so for $3000 on eBay, I’d do it for MSRP here. Too much BS to deal with on eBay between untrustworthy buyers and the fees eBay charges.

22. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Not to mention a nice tax document from PayPal at the end of the year.

23. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

My Oppo 205, which I've had for a few months, seems to be going south on me. It's beginning to stutter and freeze during certain cds and dvds. The remote will become unresponsive and I have to manually turn it off. I've communicated with Oppo about this and they suggested a possible hdmi cable issue which I did troubleshoot, but it happened to me while only using analog outs.

Anyone else have a similar problem?

24. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

The Beave and superstar19 like this.
  25. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Got my email today @ 4:11 and promptly ordered a shiny new 205.

I tried to talk myself out of it and even bought a used multichannel DAC for cheap that really sounds great but I just can't live with the what if factor. I will mainly use it as a renderer for all my ripped files.

superstar19 and Bill Mac like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.