Classic Albums that have lost stature

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by colgems1966, Jun 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

My point was that one popular song by a band does not lead to a greater appreciation for the depths of a band’s catalog.

It’s a world of singles.

Black Magic Woman likes this.
  2. mbleicher1

mbleicher1 Tube Amp Curmudgeon

These types of anecdotes are interesting but not very useful anyway. You could find individuals in the seventies who didn’t like Zeppelin, but Zeppelin were obviously quite popular. Specific teenagers who do/don’t like The Beatles doesn’t prove much.

3. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

Most people in the 70s didn't like zeppelin.

sandmountainslim1 likes this.
  4. mbleicher1

Statistically, that is absolutely correct. But a substantial number of young people in the West did like Zeppelin, and they were, and remain, quite popular.

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  5. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

That was said a lot in 1965 too.

Teens might just as well as any other person like a song and then want to hear another from that artist. I'm not sure why they would be immune. I think they will know what an LP is from history books and follow up.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  6. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

Sure thing. I didn't like them, and then I did, and it all happened in the 70s.

I saw a thread somewhere that asked when it was clear zep was the biggest greatest band in history, was it 69 or 73 or what?

The carpenters were bigger (to a point). Elton, John Denver, lots of people.

sandmountainslim1 likes this.
  7. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

I also guarantee you've never heard of most of the artists who cite it as a major influence. It's cool: they're not for you.

mrbobdobalina likes this.
  8. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

No, because we were at a Yankee game and the conversation strayed off of what old fogey bands the kids still find groovy. :D

9. mbleicher1

Right. A lot of this stuff changes. I don’t know if any people my age or younger who listen to the Carpenters or John Denver, and Elton isn’t really listened to, he’s just known.

Black Magic Woman likes this.
  10. Exile On My Street

As was the original intention of this thread, although it wasn't stated, I'm more interested in hearing what classics those of us who grew up with classic rock feel are no longer as relevant.

A teenagers tastes are not fully developed and as they grow and mature will come to appreciate different styles and eras which they do not now so it's anybody's guess as to what is relevant to a 12 year old, and why should we worry about it?

11. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

Young people are the ones who keep your legacy going.

12. EndOfTheRainbow

EndOfTheRainbow I Want To See the Bright Lights Tonight

I don't feel Quadrophenia has lost any stature, the current band may have...

13. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

I personally play more of those 60s and 70s albums when I am home like Exile or Pet Sounds. But have lost interest in late 70s and 80s artists like the Clash or Costello. Not that I’m gonna purge them. I think time will bring them around again for me.

14. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

Sure, they might. I don’t see a lot of evidence of that happening, even though it’s easier to do so than ever.

For these kids, the Foo Fighters and Nirvana are classic rock. The Rolling Stones aren’t anywhere on their radars.

My only point is that I don’t see a lot of evidence that kids these days have any real interest in pop music that was made forty years before they were born (with the caveats mentioned above).

15. Exile On My Street

Let them create their own legacy, I couldn't care less about mine or that of the music I listen to.

Just like you don't care about their music, they don't care about ours.

Classic rock will always be there for those curious and interested enough to find it.

16. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

I think that there will be new forms of music delivery but that melodies and harmonies will advance too. It may make a split between pop and music. If kids lose a progressive sense of melody in their musical life that is bad. I feel sorry for them. It sounds grim. You think kids start out that way though? Do kids still listen to burl ives?

If someone never gets a buzz on and puts on Yes, CSN the Allmans or (...), that's not even life.

17. Exile On My Street

At 48 Jefferson Airplane is a band that hasn't aged well for me.
    When I listen to them I feel as if I'm listening to a relic from a bygone forgotten era that no longer sounds relevant and, in parts, rather silly.

2141 and Black Magic Woman like this.
  18. mrbobdobalina

mrbobdobalina Forum Resident

Yep, and for everybody saying that "Pet Sounds" wasn't talked about before 1990, maybe they just weren't listening until then. I remember buying a book in the late 70's which contained lists from multiple US and UK music critics, averaged out to get a "definitive" Top 200 albums of "all time". As I recall, "Pet Sounds" was in the top ten.

19. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

I would say that any album featuring Papa John Phillips has lost some stature.

20. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

I do. So much for pronouncements based on anecdotes.

mbleicher1 likes this.
  21. mbleicher1

I actually do think the Stones are on people’s radars. Having been to several Stones concerts and having a younger brother who’s 20 (and couldn’t care less about classic rock), I can say that teens and young adults seem to have at least a passing interest in/familiarity with the Stones. No, they’re not worshipped the way they were in 1969, but that would be weird, wouldn’t it?

22. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

They sound dated, just as Mamas and the Papas. But both White Rabbit & California Dreamin will always be good songs!

Exile On My Street likes this.
  23. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

I hated Zep (except for Pinwheel) and didn’t care much for Bowie. On the other hand, ELP were constantly on for me. Times have changed.
    When I add new releases of old albums (CDs) to Discogs, it’s interesting to see the have:want ratio. Led Zeppelin and John Lennon are through the roof. Another metric, how many people add my releases, is interesting. Neil Young is consistently collected, Bowie just a little less so. Lou Reed’s Transformer is the strongest re-release; also Graceland, American Idiot, Horses. I admit it is really non-scientific, but it is interesting.
    The Moody Blues are just absent. Except for EGBDF, I wouldn’t consider any of them classic must-haves.

mbleicher1 likes this.
  24. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Dag, here I am days away from my 49th birthday and I apparently haven't even lived...

I'll survive.

Gaslight and Black Magic Woman like this.
  25. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Yes indeed. When I listen to the music from the past, I expect to have a mental journey of the time they came from for a while and the best of the past succeeds that goal for me plus good songs are good songs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.