New Led Zeppelin "Song Remains The Same" 2CD/4LP/3DVD Super Deluxe Set Plus Separate Blu-Ray release

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Hud, Jun 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I mean Jimmy saying there will be new Zep releases versus new solo material...

2. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Yah Mo B There

The article I saw said "the full 29-minute version on one LP side for the first time!".

$75.00 in 2018 dollars, adjusted for inflation.

pinkrudy likes this.
  3. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

I could've tolerated the first reissue of TSRTS if the original versions of songs were used, it sounded good, included ALL omitted songs, and placed them in the proper order. But since it didn't (and neither will this reissue) what's the point?

I'd forgotten about the '75 SB release of the second Seattle show last year... that'll keep me occupied until Jimmy releases something worthwhile.

4. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

I saw that too.

However, the original album has Dazed and Confused on one side as well.

Zep Fan likes this.
  5. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

At 26min and some change

Haggis Wampovich likes this.
  6. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

It seems like 126 minutes and some change when I try and listen to it. :)

parkmebike likes this.
  7. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Page may or may not be nice but, he's definitely cheap to his fans!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Wow. Didn't realize that. So when everybody complains here about overpriced vinyl, maybe they should think before they type. Then again....

telepicker97 likes this.
  9. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Yah Mo B There

Indeed, but the running time on the original LP was edited to just under 27 minutes.

10. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

I wasn't meaning that about anyone who LOVES LZ would budget the money for any of these Super Deluxe Box Sets. I have never purchased a Super Deluxe Boxed set.

Are those "legal" reasons still in effect??

By '77 NQ gave No Quarter...

But will it overall be "better," or just "different" (or slightly better/different). Love for some credible double blind tests to be done.

I LOVE many of the songs from TSRTS. The one I really have no use for is WLL. I prefer the 69/70 versions.

Thank You :tiphat:

What did the triple LP: "Wings Over America" retail for in December of 1976??

The Jason Bonham wedding performance rehearsal tapes...

steveharris and bobcat like this.
  11. Margrave

Margrave I'll Give It 5

Jimmy can keep this latest cash cow.
    I already have the original LPs and the vinyl box set from a few years ago and the CD version.
    They are never going to get this album to sound fantastic.
    I wonder how long it will be before that crime against music The mother ****e gets a new release ?:rolleyes:

J_D__ and nodbor like this.
  12. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

The legal issues were to do solely with re-editing the film itself; in short, they couldn't do so without stepping through a legal minefield, so the film remains the same (see what I did there? ;)) as it's original release.

The soundtrack was remixed for the film, and simply ported over to the accompanying album... it wasn't legality to blame for that, it was laziness; no-one cared enough about it to give the album a brand new mix... even the remastered film itself didn't get anything like the restored treatment it should have, the extra tracks from MSG '73 on that release that were originally released on 2003's DVD look immeasurably better than the film itself... again, the path of least resistance was chosen, alas.

If the original 1976 release had been the above (or something similar), it would have been an all-timer, for sure...

Hootsmon, Zep Fan, johnny q and 2 others like this.
  13. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

If you're going to leave it sealed, why bother at all?

14. Zumbi

Zumbi Senior Member

I do not care how they do this! I have been very pleased with the reissues they have released so far, and I am sure I will be pleased with this one as well! I only have a unknown (early pressing, but release year is unknown according to discogs) german pressing of the 2 LP version, in bad quality. So I am very happy that I can finally get the 4 LP set.

And I will also get the super deluxe box set of this one. I bought the BBC super deluxe box set and the How The West Was Won super deluxe box set, and I am VERY pleased with those!

So I can't wait for this to get released!

15. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Well, to look at it of course! :D

16. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I don't recall anything in the media circa 2007, stating the edits were due to legal reasons. I do however recall Jimmy gloating, that now the "soundtrack matches the film." What would be the legal reason for the soundtrack having to match the music in the film? Why wasn't that the case in 1976?

dav-here, Zep Fan and violetvinyl like this.
  17. Like I said in my original post, only to have a more complete set of super deluxe boxes, even though I don't have Mothership, which is another compilation cash grab.

18. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

Nice to see at least two of us that enjoy these Super Deluxe boxes that have been celebrating the band these past few years!

Of course, it's perfectly fine and understandable if others aren't fond of these releases, or mixes, or projects to begin with, but speaking for myself, at this point I can't imagine what Page could do to mess this up to such an extent that I would not like the box. Package it in a polka dot design for the outer box? Use a Zeppelin tribute concert in place of the actual 1976 film soundtrack? Use tapes that cut out every 5 minutes? Have the vinyl pressed by his dentist in some garage? Insert sleeves and a booklet displaying N'SYNC rather than Zeppelin itself? :D

I highly doubt any of the above are going to happen. So consider me foolishly eager to check this release out! :p

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    Zumbi likes this.
  19. fpas

fpas Just...take it easy, man.

Yup, I'm buying it too. Love these boxsets. Bought all of them on day 1.

If I Can Dream_23 and Zumbi like this.
  20. Zumbi

Zumbi Senior Member

Well ofcourse, I think these box sets are awesome! I never bought the box sets for the studio records, only the single vinyl record version (except for their debut, there I bought the 3 LP set, with the live concert on), but thats because I do not care much about demos and such that is on those. But the BBC box set was awesome, I love it!

If I Can Dream_23 likes this.
  21. IanM007

IanM007 CDs, please!

The Song Remains The Same. Yes it does. Dull.

22. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

Alas, music journalists (are there really any out there??) also take the path of least resistance, and so there is no one in the press to attempt to take JP to task about this.

I am surprised that some band roadies have not written memoirs about their experiences on the road with LZ. Are they legally prohibited from doing so? Are they afraid? What ??

dav-here likes this.
  23. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

A spell was cast!:D

Well all of this has got me breaking out those old soundboard and audience recordings from the three nights at MSG(Not Chinese food!)as well as the`76 soundtrack,original movie too.

I`m not holding my breath but maybe something from the original soundtrack will be expanded & part of this mythical 50th live album?At this point I assume it is highly unlikely.Oh well!:shrug:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  24. screechmartin

screechmartin Senior Member

The first line in the article reads, "Jimmy Page never ceases to amaze the deeply entrenched Led Zeppelin fan base." If by that they mean that the fanbase can rely on Page to shamelessy release the same material again and again and again, then I guess that is about right. There is zero justification for rereleasing this without expanding the concert material on CD.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2018
  25. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

The 2007 edit of “No Quarter” has been universally panned. JP re-edited “Whole Lotta Love” on the reissue is “How The West Was Won,” so he should have fixed some issues that plagued the 2007 version, such as “No Quarter,” “Black Dog,” and “Whole Lotta Love.” At the very least, “The Ocean” should have been resequenced to its end-of-the-show position for the vinyl configuration. And as others have said, Atlantic should have used this massive box set to reissue the original edit and mix in some fashion.

dav-here, hodgo, rockclassics and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.