History Channel's Alone

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris from Chicago, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night

Heck, I had to look their names up. Jim & Ted Baird, red headed guys.

2. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

So, not the Wilkes brothers obviously. How do they play into this then?

3. Borgia

The Wilkes brothers left weeks ago, not long after they joined up on the island. One kept telling the other, "you're missing your daughter's birthday", just bumming him out.

4. suave

suave New Member

they all take the same gear and do the same things, with the same results (ie, starvation) That SHOULD have been a clue even for season 2-3, much less 4! you have to take a paracord, 2-person hammock guys. It's 1500 ft of paracord. Unravel it, remove the outer sheathing, and use the 7 inner strands to weave 60m of 6 ft wide, 3" mesh netting. That will feed you just fine, if you know how to use it. Take the 8 treblehooks and the line, one of Chief Aj's slingbows, with 4 of the arrows featuing 4-tined fishing heads. The modified Crunch multitool (with a Silky sawblade, to be held in the visegrip) can convert those 16 tines into 32 fishhooks in a couple of days. Take a Cold steel shovel, a 5 qt skillet (Amazon) a sleeping bag (synthetic, buy 2, pop the stitches down on side of each, stuff the insulation from one into the other, resew it. Bulk and weight dont matter on this show, but staying warm does! If they will no longer just give you the 20x20 tarp, then you'll have to take the "optional' 12x12 tarp. Take a big roll of duct tape and one ration each of the gorp and the pemmican. The treble hooks will catch ducks and gulls, baited with roasted cambium, on small log rafts, with a drowning rock tied about a foot from each hook. When you've got enough fish guts and fishheads, you can use them to bait in a bear, and arrow it from your tree platform/blind Boil off seawater constantly, for a couple of weeks, so you'll have enough salt to preserve that fatty bear meat. You'll get wet anyway, so use the rainsuits pantlegs and jacket sleeves for hauling and filtering water. Dig a seepwell, line it with a wool shirt until you can weave a grass or bark matt for the job. . Make a low wall and cover for the "well" , to keep out the critters and bird poop. Then you dont have to boil drinking water, just filter it thru the moss, gravel, sand and charcoal. A bit of t-shirt keeps the crud from falling out of the bottom of the pant leg. Make a big wooden mortar and pestle, use it to juice the kelp, after washing it in freshwater. 2 hour's of work will get you a quart of juice, about 400 or so calories, and your only feasible carb source on Vancouver at that time of year. It's too much work to harvest and prep cambium and y ou're not supposed to use or damage live trees. Use a hunk of tarp and tape to protect the camera gear. Seal the edges of the hard Pelican gear cases and use them as pontoons, so all you need is about 8 4" logs to make your outrigger raft.

5. suave

suave New Member

you have to access the 9 strands in the 750 paracord in the hammock and the gillnet. Weave 3000-4000 sq ft of 4" netting (depends on the size of the gillnet allowed) For seasons 1=3, it was 150 sq ft, 2" mesh. For season 4, it was 75 sq ft, and 1.5" mesh. That much netting will feed you, if you know what to do with it. You want to catch BIG fish in your gillnet, if possible. But for the netting-weir, you want to catch almost any fish that enters the "wings" that guide the fish into the holding-circle. So fold over the 4" mesh on itself, and tie every other mesh. Presto 2" mesh (but only half as many sq ft overall).

Make a big wooden mortar and pestle, and use it to juice the kelp that is all over Vancouver Island's shores. You can generate abot 200 calories per hour (beyond what you burn getting it). Not enough to live on, but you DO need a few carbs in your diet and fish and game offer none. In the late fall, kelp is the only viable carb source, but it only offers 50 calories per lb. So you have to juice it, or you'll get the trots, trying to eat enough of it. :)

When you're catching lots of fish, the guts and heads can be used to bait in a bear, so you can arrow him from your tree-blind. That's your fat source. If you know what to take and what to do, you'll be the declared winner in 6 weeks, and if you know to get paid as a NM corporation, you'll get to keep about 100k more of your winnings, too. So you'll be clearing $500 an hour while you're awake. :) If that aint enough to keep you highly motivated (as you eat all this crap food) nothing will!

Tree of Life likes this.
  6. clayton

clayton Senior Member

My wife and I were rooting for the Father /son team, Pete would have been the oldest contestant to win. we coined the bickering brother s "Beavis and Butthead". Got to give them credit for toughing it out especially when the one was in so much pain.

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  7. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

8. Borgia

It begins...
    The contestants are all previous "players." I remember the girl and a tall skinny guy, both of whom almost starved in Patagonia. Both back for more of the same.

Alone Full Episodes, Video & More | HISTORY

9. Borgia

Honorable mention must be made to Larry Roberts. This guy almost had a mental break down before tapping out on season 2. Now he wants to try on Mongolia for size.

10. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes Thread Starter

Alone.

Mongolia. Redemption. On purpose? Like... leaving your family and home for voluntary torture and starvation?

Twice dummies. Dos shtoopy.

It opens... with a fishhook. Just sayin'.

Skivvies Sam gets emotional. On day one. Get it together, man. He finds... then loses a snake. Near his tent.

Nicole has a great attitude. She can do well. Seems to know a lot. But she talks. A lot. Pretty sure she's going to get eaten.

Carleigh. Foreboding music plays. Seems bad. But she's successful catching fish. Aaand... she hooks her hand. Deeply. It made me cringe watching her try to remove it. And try she did. For 20 hours. Carleigh taps out.

Don't go to Mongolia to survive on your own.

And if you do... don't fishhook your dominant hand.

11. johnod

johnod Forum Resident

Sorry to see Carleigh have to go so soon.

Nicole, yep great attitude, looks good too, but does indeed talk a lot.

At least she's not crying.

12. Sam is doomed. He couldn't handle it when his wife was pregnant, but now he thinks he can handle being away from his newborn? I doubt it.

Borgia and Chris from Chicago like this.
  13. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes Thread Starter

I couldn't do it. But I wouldn't sign up for something like this. And I'd probably fail for much smaller reasons than a newborn.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    kevywevy likes this.
  14. Borgia

Oh my goodness. I knew that Carleigh was going to get a hook in her hand from the previews, but it was almost nerve-wracking waiting for it to happen. Always be careful with sharp knives, axes, and fish hooks. This season will be brutal. As kevy posted above, Sam already seems doomed.

kevywevy and Chris from Chicago like this.
  15. Borgia

Brad, Dave, and Larry. Young Brad taps out after a week & I don't blame him. He hasn't snared one animal, despite having placed 50 snares, nor caught one fish in seven days. He got out before it got worse, probably was a good decision. Dave, the skinny guy, actually shot some kind of ptarmigan or small prairie chicken with his bow & arrow. In all five seasons of Alone I think this is the first time someone actually killed an animal with bow & arrow. Good for him. Poor Larry is already exhibiting the same traits he did on S2; he's incredibly frustrated trying to build a snare & vents by cussing mightily, eventually just cussing the sun and heat. In ways this dude reminds me of myself. I hope he doesn't go off the deep end.

16. Chris from Chicago

Alone.

9 people remain.

All men make mistakes. But only wise men learn from their mistakes.

Larry looks sh!tbird crazy. On day 4. And he really enjoyed his chipmunk. I know this... because he chewed and slurped with his mouth open. He hears a wolfpack. It seemed close. Then he swore. A lot. At the weather.

Brad is a young guy. He works hard. Even built a little cabin. He set 50 traps. He's going to eat good. Unless he catches nothing. He caught nothing. His attitude remains good. But his constant failure in beginning to bum me out. So he's leaving. This was a waste of a spot on this show.

Brit eats a grasshopper. And he warns all the other grasshopper sons o' bitches. He catches a good amount of fish. Then lost them. Really. He claims he doesn't brag... but if you looked up kicking ass in the dictionary you'd see him. Brit is sort of a schwantz.

8 people remain.

Borgia likes this.
  17. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

Never miss this show. yes Sam is doomed, Larry is crazy(buh by) so sad for Carleigh, Britt won't last more than another week 'cause the animals scare him, Dave-eat some of your food!, GO Brooke and Nicole!

18. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

I just binge watched season one! I had never seen it and it was filmed where I spent my teen years. Everything they say about that part of the West coast is dead on and I love it. Made me yearn to go walk through those forests again. When I lived there people said you had to have webbed feet to survive.

I was actually emotional for Sam and Alan when it finished, they had gone through such an ordeal.

Can't wait to catch up to the other episodes.

19. Chris from Chicago

It's not the mountains that we conquer, but ourselves.

Brooke builds a cabin. With a fireplace.

Randy, on the other hand, builds a castle.

Nicole is getting winded. A little too easily. Which is a shame. Because her shelter sucks. She reveals she has MS. It's quite heartbreaking watching her suffer. All of a sudden she looks like a 90 year old babooshka. Nicole taps out. Damn shame. I was rooting for her.

Jesse shops for garlic, onion and shallots. While doing so he finds and kills a pit viper. Do you know how much semen is in one of those? Well...I do. Now. Then he caught a grouse. Not sure yet how much jizz is in that.

Sam gets all Huckleberry Finn on us with his fishing rod. But he talks too much. You'd think not eating would make him stop using his mouth hole. Nope. Then he catches a bird. I'm positive if he choked on it while eating it he'd still manage to keep talking.

7 people remain.

GodShifter, Tree of Life and Borgia like this.
  20. johnod

johnod Forum Resident

I was sorry to see Nicole brought so low, by something beyond her control.
    She was such bright cheery person usually, sad to see her gone.

21. Borgia

Yeah, the pit viper thing would be enough to keep me close to camp, semen or no semen...

22. Chris from Chicago

Nature, in her untamed state, is savage and unrelenting.

Brooke lives in what looks like a tarp teepee. With a wooden chimney. Looks like a fire hazard to me.

Dave preps for the coming storm. He's afraid. He should be. His A-frame tent barely survived the night. He's hungry. So he bonds with a squirrel before eating it.

Larry asks questions. He misses his wife and kids. He probably shouldn't go there. He must've agreed. Because then he went fishing. And did a crazy spazzy dance.

Britt sits safely in his cabin. Then finds a toad. Don't you eat that toad, Britt. He didn't. Good thing. Then spots a deer. Sees an easy shot. He pulls back the bow string. Aaand... no.

Randy fortifies his cabin. We learn he doesn't like wearing clothes. And being dirty. Yep. He builds a stone chimney. With a fireplace. I want to hang with this guy. Well... except for the not wearing clothes part.

7 people remain still.

GodShifter and Borgia like this.
  23. Borgia

Sorry Chris, I couldn't wait.
    Down to the nitty gritty. Some are eating fish, some are stuffing themselves with pine bark. Some are crying.
    Britt is catching a lot of fish, but bears are starting to prowl around his camp. He hears them grunting and snorting at night. That alone would make me tap out. He's hangin' in there, though.
    Our old friend Larry is suffering from head rushes, and while fishing, just falls over backwards and passes out for a spell. He may have problems, other than the obvious.
    Skinny man Dave kills another grouse with his bow and arrow. He's pretty good with that thing. But in what to me was an odd display of emotion, starts lamenting the fact that he's killed 5 grouse and one squirrel, just so he can survive, like he's guilty of a murder. I mean, he's crying and sounding like a serial killer confessing his crimes. That was a strange display, IMO.
    Jesse hasn't eaten in days and in desperation starts eating pine bark, which you can do, I guess. He eats a lot of it to get his stomach full, and in a couple of days starts getting excruciating stomach pains. He hasn't had a bowel movement in days, and he has an on-camera attack that puts him on the ground. I mean, dude is in pain. It's difficult to watch.
    He has to tap out.
    Every one else seems okay at this point.

24. Chris from Chicago

Over every mountain there is a path, though it may not be seen from the valley

Britt proves to be quite the resourceful fisherman. Which is great. But those fish attract a large brown bear. That... is decidedly less great.

Brooke is hungry. And she's pretty successful... with bark jewelry accessories.

Dave walks three miles to go hunting in a valley. Then gets really emotional when he catches something. He seems likeable. But he's going to have to toughen up if he wants to succeed here.

Larry catches a fish. Then screams at the top of his lungs for 5 minutes. Most likely scaring off the other wildlife in the area. And he used so much energy doing it... he passed out.

Jesse lost 24 pounds already. So he decides to eat pine bark. I now know pine bark gives you gas. And constipates you. Who knew watching someone with clog ass could be so... wait... what am I watching? What am i writing about?

Happy sh!tting everyone.

Jesse taps out.

6 people remain.

GodShifter and Borgia like this.
  25. johnod

johnod Forum Resident

I think Larry is a bit odd, all the screaming, spazzing, and cursing.
    Like maybe the elevator isn't quite reaching the top floor.