“Won’t You Be My Neighbor?” (Fred Rogers documentary) in theaters June 8th

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Mar 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

MikaelaArsenault and Michael like this.
  2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

longdist01 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  3. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

I remember the name, but don't remember anything about the show.

That also goes for Big Blue Marble.....which if I remember, was about seeing other people/cultures around the world. People would write other people as pen pals (Remember this is before email and telephone calls overseas were very expensive)
    Loved the opening to this show

Above is theme song, but not correct opening video

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  4. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Sow's purse, meet silk ear. No point in a Blu-ray of a documentary constructed of so much videotape footage. Methinks.

On the other hand, how fortunate to have a subject whose outtakes and wild footage is almost as interesting as the show he created. I'm a "Kangaroo"-guy, and would have loved to have the kind of stray, candid, interesting stray footage My Neighbor had being captured all the time for Bob Keeshan, but that was the era of live television, and the genre of a full day's schedule nobody was interested in saving (Come ON! How could you NOT know a kiddie show would burn indelible images into a youngster's brain, that hormones and enzymes would neither let him forget, or keep him from scouring his past to re-experience it!) at the time.

Believe it or not, I'm getting just about all I need to see in the promo to know, this should be big, with a wide range of audiences. Sleeper hit? Wellll, not that convinced....

Steve Carras and Michael like this.
  5. Michael

nice post...I see your point, but I'd still rather have a BD...

longdist01 and sunspot42 like this.
  6. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

So you can really see the pores in the faces of the people they interview? :)

longdist01 and Michael like this.
  7. Michael

no, I just like the build quality of a BD ...and the pricing isn't too extreme between the 2 formats...

longdist01 likes this.
  8. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

But for a producer to venture into releasing BD, I would suppose he'd be certain there's a lot of interest. This is a documentary about a minor character in television history. Shot mostly on television. Documentary fillmakers are rather guerilla in their work, almost impossible to believe the come up with a product in so many cases. Unless, of course, your name's Attenborough. This is the sort of film most interested parties would be perfectly happy to take a DVD for. Or, stream once, then be done.

See the film first, in a good auditorium if possible, and ask yourself, with all the less-than-perfect quality up on that screeen...If I were the producer, could I make a case to Universal, we have to have a Blu-ray run?

9. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I’m sure this will be released on Blu-ray (If the documentary is successful).. The video encode will certainly be better than DVD (even the vintage video content) and also the sound. There will most certainly be a HiDef version available for TV/streaming.

10. Michael

thanks Todd for a positive light to my question!

longdist01 and Todd Fredericks like this.
  11. Peak Hoffman: discussion about a Mr. Rogers documentary swandives into handwringing over whether it’ll be released in a physical hi-res format. o_O

12. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I just hope we get the audio in the original mono mix, and the soundtrack on vinyl of course.

:)

13. jojopuppyfish

Just cam back from watching this....I thought it was good but nothing really special.
    BTW Betty Aberlin is NOT in this documentary....she hasn't done an interview in years and didn't want to be on camera. She played Lady Aberlin

14. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Hmm.. I wonder if there's a story there or she just simply doesn't want to be bothered?

15. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

It happens. I saw an enjoyable documentary about Heddy Lamar that concentrated on her inventions, and she didn't want to appear on camera.

longdist01 and sunspot42 like this.
  16. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

Typical, never happy with what you can have but pissed off about what may or may not even exist.

17. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Apart from a minute here or there, I never watched the show, even though I was the perfect age for it (it premiered when I was 4 years old). I have no personal nostalgia attached to the show whatsoever. Fred and I were/are on completely opposite teams religiously and politically. But I found this film exceptionally moving. It really spoke to me and my personal set of values about education, and about the uniqueness of each life. And to think that there were protestors outside his funeral carrying signs saying "Mr. Rogers Burns in Hell". In a world like THAT, we need more people like this person. If nothing else, this film brought that message home. Having recently been "burned" by some RT scores I later couldn't fathom, the 99% score only made me think, "Who could leave this film unmoved?"

goodiesguy, Comet01, BZync and 5 others like this.
  18. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I’m always baffled with Hollywood sex symbols who speak out about being treated like a sex object.

goodiesguy and Dudley Morris like this.
  19. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

I would have paid good money for a King Friday/Lady Elaine Fairchilde feature, but this documentary looks interesting too.

20. jojopuppyfish

BZync likes this.
  21. jojopuppyfish

Film doesn't mention that he wrote all the music for every episode.
    Film doesn't mention that MIchael Keaton use to work on the show....he's shown very briefly in a photograph during the movie.
    Show was amazing to grow up with.

longdist01 likes this.
  22. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

thanks to this thread im watching mr rogers clips online....watching him deal with serious subjects on the show (death/divorce/rfk assassination) is amazing, explaining it so the kids can understand but never talking down.

23. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

:uhhuh::biglaugh:

24. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

25. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

For those who have seen this, how does it compare to the documentary PBS just did?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.