Gregg Allman final studio album, "Southern Blood", produced by Don Was, set for release on 8-Sep-17

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Feb 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

Curious: Is it tobacco colored vinyl? Hardwood? Brown? I've always looked at it as, morbid as it sounds, blood colored... matching the material used for his, uh, blood colored portrait.

2. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

I have (had) the vinyl LP and wanted to like this album, but like you it did nothing for me I'm sorry to say. Agree totally with the comments on the production!

JG

bruce2 likes this.
  3. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

I agree, to some extent. I though the production on Gregg's previous solo album fit him perfectly, but he must've wanted a much clearer sound for this one.

chickendinna likes this.
  4. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Supposed to be hardwood colored, that is what I was told at my local.

Clanceman and No Static like this.
  5. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

Works for me.

6. James Glennon

I just found the music lacked any real passion, every instrument has the same smooth volume level, dynamics are non existent. The sound is just too sanitised for me. I thought long and hard about keeping it, but in the end I just sold it off. Would much prefer to remember Gregg from his earlier stuff.

JG

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  7. Me too.

8. allbrosca

allbrosca Dancing Madly Backwards

Me three. Also not wound up with T bone Burnetts (sp?) on the one before. Prefer Searchin For Simplicuty, Laid Back and Playin' Up A Storm.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  9. BeaTleBob5

BeaTleBob5 John, Paul, George, Ringo & Bob

I love both "Low Country Blues" & "Southern Blood". Aside from the production likes & dislikes, he's just older and no longer what he once was & on his final album he's older & dying of cancer. It's the same for most musicians. I love McCartney but I'm not that enthused with the ones post Flaming Pie as much & that includes Chaos & Creation and New. They're just not as good as a the younger full voiced, a bit wilder McCartney. Same for Neil Young. His albums in the last couple of decades aren't as good as his earlier ones in general. Now I'm not saying that I'm an authority or putting down anyone who disagrees w/ my opinion. It's only my opinion & taste.

allbrosca likes this.
  10. James Glennon

I love Searchin For Simplicuty!

JG

allbrosca likes this.
  11. James Glennon

Would love to see it released on vinyl.

JG

allbrosca likes this.
  12. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Love Southern Blood .....and Low Country

10++
    10++

13. Gdgray

Gdgray Forum Resident

I have all Gregg’s solo records. Unfortunately Southern Blood sounds just flat to me. I was thinking he would have put more of himself in the music instead of letting Was influence his choice of material. I would have been fine having him cover old chestnuts from some of his favorite artists, Bobby Blue Bland, Little Milton and the like.
    I suspect from what I read , Gregg’s preferences in music was what did in ABB in the end.
    Just sayin, bought the record and picture disc anyway.
    Peace

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  14. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

Love, love, love Gregg Allman and the ABB. His voice was other worldly to me. It had all the heartache, pain, joy and love that one could have. I want to like Southern Blood so more than I do, especially following Low Country Blues, which is amazing to me. To be fair, Gregg was dying when he recorded this. The fact he could make a record in the face of death is something else entirely.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  15. I agree. SB is somewhat lackluster.

16. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Well the man was dying when he recorded it.

17. RobCos02330

RobCos02330 Forum Resident

Yep, and I found it poignant. :shrug: One mans lackluster is another mans “moved to tears” I guess.

ssmith3046, drift, PhoffiFozz and 2 others like this.
  18. Bullis

Bullis Forum Resident

I think it’s fine album. Two songs are just so emotional on that cd.

Dusty Sommers, RobCos02330 and Myke like this.
  19. drift

drift Forum Resident

Revisited this album for the first time since 2017 tonight. It's really good. The lone original and the covers of the Browne, Dylan, Dead, and Lowell George songs are really great. I can understand the production marring it for some. I think there's a great enough record in there to transcend those shortcomings, though. I think it's a great last effort.

20. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I'm just happy that Gregg found the strength to leave us one last album. I played it this morning and still love it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.