How can anybody doubt the Stones?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scott S., Jun 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SirNoseDVoid

SirNoseDVoid Forum Resident

They´ve had their share of clunkers, but their best material still shines. I think it´s cool that they´re still at it.. hope I can still play at 70.

bonus likes this.
  2. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

At this point they get a pass. Even if they sound a little slower and much more ragged, they get a pass from me.

I'm thrilled that they made it to the finish line and beyond.

3. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

How are you doing compared to 54 years ago? I am not trying to offend but provide a different view. Of course none of us have the energy of our youth but often are still admired for our style, verve, intelligence, experience and sheer likeability/enjoyment to be around converse with, communicate and be heard. The Stones are literally a way of life and unbelievably usually still deliver big time when you see them on stage!

stef1205, jumpinjulian and DTK like this.
  4. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

The interesting thing about the Stones and the 1980s is from 83 to 89 they did not tour. 81/82 was a big tour but the real nostalgia dinosaur rock business had not in my opinion really kicked in at that point. I love the Stones and have done since I was 5 . I had a lovely toy Stones electric guitar but in an attempt to do a Townshend my dad sat on it and it was never the same again. I am not sure about them still going - it is not really my cup of tea but then I see some gumby band on tv and think why not? They still look better and have better songs so why not keep going like Bob Dylan?
    As for corporate rock I can think of loads of other bands/acts but the Stones are just a bit (ok a whole lot) better than that in my opinion.

Carl80 likes this.
  5. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

Shame they haven’t written a decent tune since 1971. So basically nothing in my entire lifetime. Waste.

Gumboo likes this.
  6. Flaming Torch

Actually I love all their slow songs/ballads from the 1970s - Angie, Fool to Cry, Faraway Eyes etc.

7. All Down The Line

Exactly right!
    You don't miss your water until the well runs dry.......indeed!!!

Meyer likes this.
  8. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

There is NOTHING bland about the Stones. Mick? Keith? Charlie? Bland???

DTK likes this.
  9. cs2003

cs2003 Forum Resident

Just saw them again at Twickenham Stadium 19 June 2018 (my 7th Stones show), in 35 years of going to concerts that was probably the best I've been to.

coniferouspine, bonus, Meyer and 3 others like this.
  10. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

I'm shocked to see all the Stones bashing in this thread. I thought only KISS brings out the haters.

It's been scientifically proven that Rolling Stones are THE GREATEST ROCK'N'ROLL BAND IN THE WORLD.

Period.

People were burned at the stake for far lesser sacrileges that doubting the Stones.

11. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yeah, the Stones truly are the greatest rock n roll band ever.
    If you don't like them, you probably just don't like rock n roll.

12. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I'm glad to hear it.

The two times that I saw the Stones (at the Int'l Amphitheater in Chicago) the sound was so bad that I couldn't figure out what song they were playing until they got to a chorus. I've avoided music in sporting arenas and stadiums ever since. Outdoor sound systems have improved a lot so I'm sure that people get their monies worth these days.

I saw the Hyde Park concert from a few years ago on TV. It was decent, but it feels like a facsimile. The WHO affect me the same way, although Daltrey's voice is in much worse shape than Jagger's. Mick still sounds pretty good.
    I remember reading something from Keith Richards about Bill Wyman leaving the group "before the real money started coming in." Wyman left in 1993. The superstar concert business has changed a LOT in the past 25-years.

TonyCzar and Flaming Torch like this.
  13. Flaming Torch

Thanks. Perhaps Bill left just a bit too early. My impression is that live shows really rake in the cash in a way they did not in the 70s.

14. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

I just don't think they have the creative vitality they had in the 60's. Sure they can put on a good show. So did "Scouting for Girls", when I saw them live recently and I don't even really like their stuff. Such groups are very "professional". The RS haven't produced a great record since Exile, though. Some good ones....but not great.

15. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Saw the Stones last month in London at an Olympic Stadium that was packed to the last row. It was the second of three Stadium shows they are playing in London this summer. It’s amazing. People just love The Rolling Stones.

[​IMG]

16. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

What a night. They may not be as good as they were in 1973, but the Stones live is still the greatest show on Earth.

[​IMG]

17. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I'm pretty burnt out by their concerts (videos I mean). Stripped and the Voodoo Lounge tour were terrific but since then (23 years) it's been more or less the same thing over and over. Still, I love 'em to death and it's sort of comforting to know that they are still out there, on the road, as they have been as long as I can remember (early 60s). Precious.

danielbravo and quicksrt like this.
  18. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

These days, tickets for big name concerts cost hundreds of dollars... many hundreds for the VIP sections. When the Stones toured in 1969 there was a big outcry from the fans because they were charging one dollar more than standard... like, tickets were priced from $4.99 to $6.99 instead of $3.99 to $5.99. I think the Ticketron fee was 35¢ back then. The Stones responded by playing a free concert at Altamont.

Of course, it was a different economy, and rock 'n roll road warriors played every night. It's strange looking back to my Chicagoland high school days in the early-70's. Artists such as Leon Russell, Edgar Winter and Alice Cooper would play county fairgrounds, General Admission shows that cost $2.00 or $3.00 to get in. A group would accept a booking for a few thousand dollars, the overhead was low, there was no security to speak of, liability insurance was a non-issue. Thousands of kids would show up.

Gumboo and Flaming Torch like this.
  19. Flaming Torch

Thanks - as Lou sang "Those were diferent times".

TonyCzar likes this.
  20. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Yes. Yet they did put together some good songs that hit a groove or rang true, captured a mood. Honey Tonk Woman, for example. Even Paint It Black. Rhythm usually was their strength. Rather than Rock or ballads.

Vignus likes this.
  21. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

If the Stones had broken up in 1973, their legacy would be stronger. Yet they would have missed being called the greatest Rock and Roll band in the world...which was more an 80's thing, if I'm recalling correctly.

22. All Down The Line

Have you never heard Get yer ya yas out? Sam Cutler introduced them in 1969 as the Greatest rock n roll band in the world and then the world took note!

23. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

I do know about their strong and noteworthy work in the Sixties with Satisfaction and the infamous Altamont concert. But it was especially...from my memory...in the 80's or early 90's that the phrase became so commonplace. Being looked upon as the Bad Boys of Rock, though, in the early to mid Seventies...got mixed in with Mick's jet setting/ You're So Vain (Warren Beaty?) middle class upbringing brew.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
    Gumboo likes this.
  24. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

This is funny, you don’t constantly sell out out world tours over the decades if you havnt done anything since that date so not entirely true.

25. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Phony would be more of a studio based band that just goes out to play to audiences that want to hear cover songs. Whether you like their style of R & B, they are not phony. They were a bunch of white kids out of England that played what they liked and have continued to do so.

qJulia likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.