How can anybody doubt the Stones?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scott S., Jun 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

The Altamont Festival brings the 1960s to a violent end - Dec 06, 1969 - HISTORY.com

2. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

The Stones have always flaunted their wealth and sense of priviledge, but with a bit of wink . They're a lot more upfront than some of their contemporaries.

3. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

How can they be doubted lasting 50 odd years in the business and still selling out tours now, we won’t see another band achieve this so enjoy them while they are still together, if you like them of course.

Seeing them twice in the last year puts into perspective the massive fan base they still have of all ages.

danielbravo and coniferouspine like this.
  4. Gramps Tom

Gramps Tom Forum Resident

Eloquent post, Pete. Same can be stated about any subset of people, like professional athletes, etc.

DK Pete and DRM like this.
  5. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

"novelty act"
    " phony r&r"

I can't read more

6. Gramps Tom

Gramps Tom Forum Resident

I have been a fan for well over 50 years. I caught them live in 1975, and remember telling my parents I could tell my grandchildren I saw THE ROLLING STONES....Now, I could actually take her....

Anyone who doubts them currently on an artistic level, which is the only criteria I'm utilizing, would do well to acquire this concert dvd/bluray from 2013:

https://www.amazon.com/Sweet-Summer...=1-1&keywords=rolling+stones+sweet+summer+sun

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
    danielbravo, bonus and David Johnson like this.
  7. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. .

8. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I've only been a part of this forum for a little over a year ;), and I usually do not read threads on the Stones, but this one caught my eye, so I read it.

Also, I should point out that while I am not a big fan, I do like the Rolling Stones. Sticky Fingers is a tremendous record, and they have plenty of other good songs from their early years. I agree with the sentiment that Gimme Shelter is an amazing singular accomplishment. I just find it hard to believe that some think the Stones aren't a nostalgia act at this point (two studio albums in the last 20 years). I am not a doubter; I give the Stones full props for what they accomplished.

Gumboo, bonus, Meyer and 1 other person like this.
  9. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

I don't know how someone can seriously doubt the importance of this band? It is like saying nature is not important for animals or something. And I'm tired of reading things like when they should have stopped. Just don't listen to them and let others enjoy their music and live shows. Bye!

10. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Is it science or blind mandatory worship?

George Co-Stanza likes this.
  11. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Did they all come from middle class roots? Not that there's anything wrong with that...

12. timind

timind phorum rezident

Well duh.

California Couple likes this.
  13. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Was Mick a Street Fighting Man?

14. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

I can relate. The problem is...that we can really mess up our lives by the time we're 25. I know from experience. Fortunately, we can move forward and even thrive decades later. I do think richer rock stars are protected from some of the natural consequences of their actions. Whereas their young followers can just end up being casualties. Some of this is an act on the rock star's part. Playing a role. But others really buy into it. Hendrix, Jim Morrison, and Janis Joplin. To name a few. I think Mick straddled the fence and was savvy enough to split the difference...

15. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Rock 'n' roll is a nostalgia act. The genre is about 65 years old. Nostalgia has a negative connotation, so people get defensive. We need to loosen up and live in the moment. No one gets hung up going to see Shakespeare in the Park or watching old movies.

California Couple and Sear like this.
  16. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth Thread Starter

What exactly do people find so threatening about the idea that the Stones do rock in a vital way in the here and now?

coniferouspine likes this.
  17. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Pretty much how I feel.

Jagger probably laughs at his peers about it...he never really tried to go beyond his range, so his songs are still feasible to sing today. Meanwhile McCartney's fans want to hear Helter Skelter and he probably just shakes his head.

Plus Jagger still has a great head of hair.....bastard.

bonus and KeninDC like this.
  18. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

I agree that there is only more power to the Stones (or any artist) who are out there living the dream well into their 70's (and hopefully beyond). After all, it is their career, not ours. If we don't like it, we can always not participate or support it. No harm done.

Myself, I'm the type who fully defends what the Stones are doing while not being particularly moved or invested in anything past 1980. When I think of "The Stones" I will always think Jumpin Jack Flash, Gimme Shelter, Sticky Fingers, or Exile On Main St.

But, as stated, more power to them for going ahead. I applaud them, not scoff. After all, how many of us will be able to still do what we love (or have the means to do so) when we are in our 80's?

aussievinyl likes this.
  19. RJD1954

RJD1954 Forum Resident

I am a huge Stones fan and have been since first hearing then on a crystal set on Radio Luxembourg from my bedroom in Perth in 1964.

I have seen them live many times. SAT on the edge of the stage at their Enmore Theater show in Sydney in 2003. Front row Adelaide in 2014 and many other shows from their WACA show on 1973 onwards. I LIVE them. I LOVE THEM.

BUT ONE ALBUM of blues covers ( since their last record of original new music in 2005) DOES make them a nostalgia act now I am afraid.

I have this same feeling about my other musical love, Bruce Springsteen. He too seems rooted to his past. Nothing new in over 6 years. Touring The River album 2-3 years ago. An unreleased record in his pocket, but will it see the light of day? Now doing his Broadway show, which I'd love to see by the way, rooted to his past.

He and The Stones are supposed to be artists. Artists CREATE. NO? Or they just for the old stuff. THAT is nostalgia.

20. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I have no desire to see them live anymore nor do I care if they come out with any new albums. They fell off my radar after I was about seventeen.

However, it's probably a comfort for many that they are still around and I know I'll be a bit sad when one of the original three passes away and perhaps the band finally retires. Love them or hate them, they are a rock staple and it's impressive that they are still touring today.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  21. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

I certainly feel no sense of threat. To me, they're a touring machine at this point. People want to see them? Great. I hardly give it a thought.

22. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

No one feels threatened. We just don't all share your point of view. What's so hard to fathom about that? I love the Stones and still listen to their classic output pretty regularly, but they haven't made a great new album in decades. While a lot of fans obviously still enjoy their shows--and more power to them if they can afford it--I have zero interest in these kinds of massive, impersonal stadium spectacles where they crank out overblown facsimiles of their predictable classic hits. If that's your idea of the embodiment of rock's true spirit, we'll have to agree to disagree.

It's cool to celebrate a band that you love in a positive way, but I'm put off by this sort of hectoring, absolutist litmus test, as if all true rock fans have to see things your way. Are you not entertained?

Gumboo, vamborules, Andrew J and 6 others like this.
  23. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

This is the OP's general M.O.

vamborules, Danby Delight and TS582 like this.
  24. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

There are not enough likes for this post.

Andrew J likes this.
  25. Reamonnt

Reamonnt Mr.T

As someone else commented the Stones especially Jagger were parodied relentlessly on uk tv when I was growing up but I always liked ruby tuesday, satisfaction, paint it black but would know very little of their back catalogue. Its a great life for them and why would you pack in playing live living it up in 5 star hotels etc etc to put on slippers and retire.
    I hope they can keep going for a while longer as the book is closing on the classic rock era and the Rolling Stones are last men standing really from that much heralded era of music.

coniferouspine, Jerjo and RogerB like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.