Bent Cantilever - Replace or fixed?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by hhjack, Jun 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Tube amp is ultra clear, has strong treble and not subdued sounding. But, most SS is more aggressive sounding. MP-110 would likely be a little more aggressive on SS. But, still no 'wow' factor.

2. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Well, depends on what gear again, even if its SS there are many performers which fit better and worse.

3. Leonthepro

Here is a Grado Green review btw:

4. hhjack

hhjack Forum Resident Thread Starter

I’ve seen that video. I’m a little cautious about this guy’s reviews after he bashed the Lounge Audio LCR MKIII. That being said, I don’t doubt the Grado Green is a nice cartridge, especially for the price. Howerver, the Nagaoka still has my interest more peaked.

Leonthepro and Gethan Wall like this.
  5. Gethan Wall

Gethan Wall Agent Provocateur

Watch out for the Nagaoka, I can only comment on the MP110 and compared to the blues nude stylus it's a step down. Doesn’t track sibilance well I found and doesn’t last as long as the blue (as long as you don’t bend the cantilever) ;)

6. harby

harby Forum Resident

Green is the top 15% testing of black2, so expect a similar sound signature to the $80 cartridge.

7. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

How does that address a bent cantilever?

8. Leonthepro

It cant track perfectly, its simply a geometrical limitation. No 0.7×0.4 stylus can. But to completely remove distortion across the board you need a very fine profile, and replace it quite often too.

Gethan Wall likes this.
  9. hhjack

Interesting. Is sibilance a common problem with the Nagaoka? Any others experience this when running this cartridge?

Gethan Wall likes this.
  10. Leonthepro

As stated above this will happen to any cart with these stylus dimensions. But I rarely find it distracting on my setup. Remember, some music is simply made sibilant as well in which case it doesnt matter what you use.

Gethan Wall likes this.
  11. glide

glide Forum Resident

Fully and completely?

OP’s current cantilever is toast. A stylus replacement from Ortofon address the issue. I don’t understand your question.

12. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

I was confused the the term "replace the tips," which, unless I'm wrong, does not include the cantilever.

13. Gethan Wall

Gethan Wall Agent Provocateur

Agree totally. I use a micro line and have about 800 hours on it and still performs without any issue.

14. hhjack

Whoops, sorry. I didn’t see your previous comment.

Leonthepro likes this.
  15. Leonthepro

When someone says stylus replacement they usually mean "stylus assembly" which includes the front part of the cartridge holding the cantilever and stylus.
    I guess tips just means the ends of a cartridge in this case.

16. Leonthepro

I should have been more clear, you dont NEED to replace them often. But purely theoretically speaking you will degrade the stylus after every play. So in a perfect world it would be replaced ever side or whatever. The actual specs for when it SHOULD be replaced range for up to many 1000 hours. The general point where a micro line starts to be noticably distorted is around the 400 - 500 hour mark however. So if you were extremely picky you would throw a new one on and compare them both on a test record after that point. But thats just wasteful really.

17. hhjack

For better or worse, I placed an order for a Nagaoka MP-110. I’ll report back this week on my first impressions.

Leonthepro likes this.
  18. hhjack

The Nagaoka MP-110 was delivered, and I now have it on the Technics 1200. I'll give my impressions after I've had several days to listen to it.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  19. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

My father-in-law went through something like this a couple of months ago with a much more expensive cart. When he admitted to his wife how much the mistake will cost him, her jaw hit the floor. :laugh:

hhjack likes this.
  20. hhjack

So I’ve been putting hours on the Nagaoka, and I’m really enjoying it. It did take some care to get it aligned just right. The cartridge has a real nice low end that I wasn’t expecting. The Ortofon 2M Blue also has a nice low end but I might prefer the Nagaoka. The bass on the Nagaoka seems to have less separation, blending nicely with the other instruments, while still maintaining a full, rich sound. I have been listening for sibilance issues which may have reared it’s head a few times. But it’s hard to say if it’s part of the recording or the pressing itself. I should note that there is no sibilance distortion. All and all, I’ve been happy with this cart. Well performs above its modest price.

Leonthepro likes this.
  21. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Play some aggressively cut records with narrow deadwax, especially something from the late 70s or early 80s. Rock music with female vocals (aggressively cut) is a good sibilance test also.

22. hhjack

Performing like a champ so far on my Springsteen and Tom Petty.

Strangely, I don’t own a lot of female rock from the 80s.

23. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Try to find a copy of the Pretenders first LP, original US pressing . That's a pretty good sibilance test.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.