Supertramp Breakfast In America SACD (MOFI) just shipped!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Natvecal., May 16, 2018.

1. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

On such an important reissue, this thread has really turned out to be a dog. :yawn:

Natvecal. and teag like this.
  2. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

How can we help you?

marcb, Natvecal. and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  3. audiomixer

There have been only handful of reviews & comparisons. I expected much more...:confused:

Natvecal. and teag like this.
  4. Downsampled

I'll be happy to drop my impressions of the SHM-SACD versus the new MFSL SACD when I get a chance to compare them. All I know at the moment is that I was not impressed with the MFSL. That is, it sounded pretty good, but the sound of this album (thin and brittle) in places really needs help. I wondered, as I listened, if I still prefer the original MFSL. I guess I'll have to compare everything at some point.

c-eling likes this.
  5. audiomixer

And you think the SHM-SACD sounds better? I prefer the original MoFi over the SHM-SACD, which I feel brings nothing to the party but a wet blanket.

George P likes this.
  6. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

1-MFSL Japan manufactured for US LP-1982
    2-MFSL 2017/18- SACD
    3-US 1979 'Trumpet' LP
    4-US DIDX 26 Compact Disc
    Think it's time for lunch before I get burned out on this title :laugh:

7. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

[​IMG]

8. RickA

RickA Love you forever Luke, we will be together again

I played the Mo-Fi SACD earlier. I'll just say this, it will make all previous incarnations obsolete. It's that great!

9. tensummoner

tensummoner wish i had a nickle.. thats it just wish i had 1

I love this record....

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  10. I have the MFSL Gold CD, SHM-SACD, MoFi SACD and the Blu-ray Audio and I enjoy them all, immensely. :cheers:

11. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

No offence, but this communicates nothing about the relative merits of this latest version. :(

tribby2001 and audiomixer like this.
  12. TarnishedEars

I hear ya. 26 pages of thread so far, and still almost nothing in the way of comparisons yet...

tribby2001 and audiomixer like this.
  13. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

For what its worth, really is there much more to say?

A difficult to master album in the first place. Its almost a choose your poison option. You can have a bit more detail, yet lose a bit in the soundstage. Or you can have more lush yet lose a some of the highs apparently.

Its a very good album, but I dont think there is ever going to be a best version.

marcb, bmoregnr, c-eling and 3 others like this.
  14. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Anyone want to throw up samples of the new mfsl, old mfsl, shm-sacd and the original cd?

That makes things real at least.

Natvecal. and audiomixer like this.
  15. It was a statement out of frustration on the recent deterioration of this thread. I think the new MoFi SACD sounds great, it has some color to it which is just what the doctor ordered and typical of the MoFi SACD’s. On the other hand the various aforementioned versions also have their merits. If I had to pick my definitive version it woukd be the SHM-SACD, but I’ll reiterate, I enjoy them all equally with each having unique sound qualities. There isn’t a bad version in the lot.

Wheels on fire . . .

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  16. Downsampled

Like I said, I haven’t compared them yet. I listened to the SHM several weeks before the MoFi. I want to say I was less impressed with the MoFi on first listen, but I wouldn’t put much stock in that. I really need to do more of a side-by-side.

Natvecal. likes this.
  17. teag

teag Forum Resident

Vinyl version, vinyl version, vinyl version..........

Deano6 and DBMethos like this.
  18. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

....is bright enough to stun insects at 10 paces....

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  19. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Here is hoping the 45 rpm lp version will balance things out. We shall see.

20. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

No 45. Going to be just a 33 1/3.

21. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Dang it. Ive been told that twice now. These 45's have me brain washed :p

I like 33 1/3 better. Maybe there will be some sort of improvement over the other versions.

22. Downsampled

Okay, I was able to sit down for a bit this morning and compare four different versions:

1. Original USA, A&M CD-3708 (DADC pressing)
    2. First MFSL gold Ultradisc, UDCD 534 (made in Japan)
    3. SHM-SACD, UIGY-15006 (Japan)
    4. MFSL hybrid SACD, UDSACD 2189

I concentrated on tracks 2, 3 and 4. I listened to CD 1 (the original CD) first and it actually sounded okay to me. Once I got to the other three, though, I didn't have the heart to go back to it.

For the rest, I decided (for the moment, ha) that I prefer 4 (the new MFSL). It seems very close to 2 in its EQ profile, but by comparison seems a bit more detailed and open. It might actually be slightly brighter, but it wasn't a problem for me.

The SHM sounded nice, all things considered, but I found its EQ distracting. It was more bass-heavy, which gave it a murkier feel and made it harder for me to resolve instruments and detail. For example, the horns in "Breakfast In America" sounded great in 4 -- balanced in the mix and easier to resolve. With 3, they got a little lost. For me, this album's music and vocals need its upper mids, so I'll always prefer that when it's balanced (and when the ultra-crispy highs are kept in check).

I am pretty sure the difference between 3 and 4 is going to come down to one's system and preferences. If I had to rank them best-to-worst based on what I just heard, I'd say 4, 2, 3, 1. If you're trying to decide between the SHM and the new MFSL, this probably doesn't help, although I do think that if you like the original MFSL you will might like the new one a bit more. It's also nice that you get a rebook later with it.

Carlox, marcb, brew ziggins and 5 others like this.
  23. TarnishedEars

I can't speak for others here, but I personally was not looking to see a definitive review which states "this is the best ever" or "this is the worst ever". I was simply looking for some comparisons as to how it sounds relative to other releases. Brighter, Darker, Wider, narrower, less/more compressed, etc. than version X which was used as a reference. That is all I'm really looking for.

But I get your point. However I still find it to be very that on this forum, where one can hardly get people to refrain from offering their opinions on so many things, that so few people are commenting about the sound of such a highly anticipated release.

S. P. Honeybunch and Rob Hughes like this.
  24. Downsampled

Sheesh, let's try that again:

I do think that if you like the original MFSL you might like the new one a bit more. It's also nice that you get a redbook layer with it.

25. audiomixer

Exactly. The SHM-SACD definitely sounds murkier and much less transparent.
    In a real life situation, horns and voices, non-amplified, DO NOT sound murky.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
    George P likes this.