New Paul McCartney album "Egypt Station" coming September 7, 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by etcetera, Feb 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

Since we are aware on, say, a dozen song titles out of 16, I wonder why MPL has not given us the complete album content as yet... Maybe this is a work-in-progress just like Flaming Pie around early 1997 when they added Great Day in the eleventh hour? I kind of doubt it myself but there you go...

Paperback Writer likes this.
  2. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Cut me some slack ain t -imo-anywhere near Come on to me. With that said it s a good one and certanely as you said a good argument about what Paul can achieve with likeminded musicians
    Even though Band in the Run,McCartney. Lot s of Flaming Pie McCartney 2 and Chaos are pretty good arguments for what Paul can achieve doin most things himself
    Another argument about what is better-in truth both sides of McCartneys work has created outstanding music.

Paulwalrus likes this.
  3. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

"Come On To Me" is actually a better song, but "Cut Me Some Slack" is far better executed and feels alive and not robotic and cold performance-wise.

jmxw likes this.
  4. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

5. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

6. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

7. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I was live streaming the 12-12-12 event, and had heard rumours of the potential 'Nirvana' reunion with Paul, but I simply couldn't believe that it was actually going to happen. When he started to introduce Grohl, Novoselic and Smear, I was stunned, and when I heard the opening moments of 'Cut Me Some Slack', I was blown away. As you say, it is a great example of the strengths of everyone involved.

I personally would love for Paul to work with that line-up and the other Foo Fighters again, either on his own album, on their album (beyond just drumming for them) or maybe on a collaborative album.

Can you imagine Paul, Dave, Krist and Pat Smear performing an 'MTV-Unplugged' together, now that the show is back ?

8. P

Yes, I agree, I have had similar thoughts.

Now, I don’t know the recording- proudiction- promotional aspects of what goes into a CD, but the series of events the past few days has to have some others thinking about this, also.

It may be fully recorded, song titles selected, tracks sequences for original edition and all “bonus-special” editions, printed, cut into plastic disc, shrink wrapped, bundled , put on planes boats and trains , distributed to warehouses for truck delivery ——-

- —- BUT ———we don’t have all the song titles? No songs samples on any of the usual digital sale outlets?

Is this all a successful execution of preventing leaks?

Is it possible, tinkering is still going on in the studio for some tracks?

Songs are all set, just figuring out final sequence ?

What songs make the final standard edition?

Which songs are destined for bonus tracks?

Which songs go on “bonus-extra “ tracks editions?

Just completing additional art work and jacket design?

Next single to select and when to release it?

Has talk of concept elements scrambled the whole sequence/song selection process?

Has feedback from fan sites and music forums altered some of above planning?

Or - is this album long been set in stone and it’s simply getting MPL, Capital amd various promotional outlets and forces coordinated?

Bottom line - for me - many more questions than answers.

Is this all a by product of very clever marketing, creating a sense of mystery and excitement?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  9. Frank

Frank Senior Member

I'd be very excited for a Sirvana album and only slightly less excited for a Paul McFoofighters album. I think McCartney would be a touch more intimidated working within the Nirvana mystique and it would lead to a better result.

The Unplugged thing sounds good in theory, but the reality would be too much deference to McCartney resulting in Grohl, Novoselic and Smear plugged into McCartney's Beatles tribute band in place of Abe, Brian and Rusty. They should make McCartney sing Nirvana songs and then do Jet.

Any true collaboration better happen soon, though. Grohl's voice is deteriorating faster than McCartney's and he may catch up soon.

10. scoostraw

scoostraw Forum President

The funny part is, they are far from the best Beatles tribute band.

Frank likes this.
  11. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

12. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Seeing them all play together at Safeco Field was pretty cool. Paul was in great voice that night.

13. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

Well, those guys are better than Abe, Wix, Brian and Rusty, don't you think ?
    This also !

14. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

To call Paul's band a Beatles tribute band is -I'm sorry to say-close to stupidity. How can one possibly make a tribute to yourself. If he plays Wings stuff is it a Wings tribute band then. And when they play solo-stuff is it a McCartney tribute band.
    Ivan understand people-me included-wishing Paul to play solo/Wingsstuff.But callin it a tribute band is a very big stretch.If someone has earned the right to sing Hey Jude,Let it be or Get back wouldn t that be Paul McCartney

15. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

XTC managed it on their tribute album.
    [​IMG]

Bemagnus, DRM and theMess like this.
  16. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I think Pauls live concerts are very predictable and-for a hardcore fan-to heavy on Beatles and the most famous Wings hits. I am old enough to have experienced Wings 1972 in a livesetting with none of the above and that was great
    On the other hand-Paul ain t exactley young anymore and for all those attending his shows it s a once in a lifetime experience. Ecspecially for the vast majority who doesn t follow setlists or spend an unhealthy time watching You tube clips just to complain about the vocals or set list
    In the bigger sceme of things outside our little tiny bubble I think Pauls concerts will be legendary and he will be remembered ad one of the alltime best live-entertainers of all time
    Fir us more devoted it still is the undisputable fact that the man still makes considerable efforts to present new music-obviosly because he loves it
    Overall I think there is far more to b happy about than not when it comes to Paul McCartney. And that inckudes the new single that certanely has given me expectations for the album.
    But that s me
    :)

17. scoostraw

scoostraw Forum President

He's close.

But give Frank some encouragement. He will get there eventually.

jlf, theMess, Frank and 1 other person like this.
  18. Frank

Frank Senior Member

I get closer to stupidity with every reply I read. Keep working, guys.

DRM and scoostraw like this.
  19. Rose Decatur

Rose Decatur Forum Resident

20. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

little too hotel lounge for me

Yorick and theMess like this.
  21. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

More busker type.

22. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

And having said that....not bad, just different

23. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

It s not me. My goodness no
    Just something' I found on You tube

Yorick likes this.
  24. Having read this thread for a good while and admittedly annoyed at all the “McCartney Bosses”, critics, cynics , musical directors and self aggrandizing “fans”- I sometimes turn to some of the comments that The Beatles have made over the years -

Here’s one from John:

LENNON: "If they didn't understand the Beatles and the Sixties then, what the **** could we do for them now? Do we have to divide the fish and the loaves for the multitudes again? Do we have to get crucified again? Do we have to do the walking on water again because a whole pile of dummies didn't see it the first time, or didn't believe it when they saw it? You know, that's what they're asking: 'Get off the cross. I didn't understand the first bit yet. Can you do that again?' No way. You can never go home. It doesn't exist."

ConnieGuitar, Zeki, JeffreyB and 2 others like this.
  25. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I’m not really seeing how this quote relates to people armchair quarterbacking Paul’s present day career...

DRM, Frank and theMess like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.