Rescue Me Complete Series Blu ray Box Coming Sept.11th, 2018

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Myke, Jun 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse Thread Starter

I'm taking a wait-and-see on this one. Mill Creek did fine with That 70s Show, but the packaging for the DVDs of the Complete Coach is the WORST in my entire collection.
    Since I already have the complete series on DVD, I can easily afford to pass on this, should I choose that route.

From Blu-ray.com :

Synopsis: From series creators Denis Leary and Peter Tolan, the highly acclaimed Rescue Me galvanized audiences with its uncompromising portrayal of the New York City firefighters of 62 Truck, whose duty to save lives puts their own in constant turmoil - on the front lines, in the firehouse, and at home.
    Leary is electrifying in his role as Tommy Gavin, a deeply driven first responder with a combustible personality and personal demons to match. Through seven groundbreaking seasons, we follow his gripping story, along with those of his fellow crew. Provocative, profane, dramatic, humorous, and unflinchingly honest, it is an unforgettable journey of courage, conflict and ultimate salvation. Featuring all seven seasons of the show.
    STREET DATE: SEPTEMBER 11.
    [​IMG]

Amazon is the only vendor to offer this currently :

https://www.amazon.com/Rescue-Me-Th...65953&creativeASIN=B07DKZWHNY&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

2. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

I didn't get round to finishing this series. Somehow, I skipped Season 4 and went straight into Season 5, then after watching a couple Season 6 episodes, I finally began Season 4. After that shocking twist with Jerry, I never got round to continuing the show. May as well pick up the series on Bluray as I really did enjoy the show.

Myke likes this.
  3. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

One of my all time favorites! But I already own the entire series on DVD. Had to chime in to give the show a shout out!;)

ohnothimagen likes this.
  4. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Very appropriate release date given the overriding theme of the show.

I'd put the first three seasons of Rescue Me up against any other "classic" TV show; the wheels started coming off the series after that IMO.

DHamilton and Splungeworthy like this.
  5. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Agreed. I still stuck with it to the end, when things were getting really crazy, but I loved this show. The firehouse banter was seriously great writing, and the chemistry within the cast was palpable. And GREAT music.

DHamilton, ohnothimagen and Myke like this.
  6. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

A favorite tune from an artist I'd never heard prior the show; Amy Winehouse - Unholy War. Such a great song and of course, Amy didn't write it with NY firefighters in mind but man, it fit the show like a hand in glove!

Myke likes this.
  7. Myke

I just sent Mill Creek an e-mail, asking for reassurance that this will be packaged in a somewhat sturdier outer box than Coach The Complete Series was.
    Being that this is Blu ray, hopefully they take more pride in it, like That 70s Show box.

8. ohnothimagen

I stuck with Rescue Me to the bitter end as well and in spite of the fact that IMO the second half of the series didn't quite measure up to the first I'd still put Rescue Me up against anything else on television.

JimW and Splungeworthy like this.
  9. Myke

" Good Morning,

Thank you for contacting Mill Creek Entertainment with your product inquiry. We appreciate it when customers take the time to reach out to us with product questions, suggestions and general comments. We are very excited about the release of Rescue Me on Blu-ray. Since it is a Blu-ray product, it will not have the same type of packaging you find with our DVD sets, such as COACH. You will be please to know the packaging will be more similar to what you may have found with our Blu-ray sets like Knight Rider or Miami Vice. We hope this information is helpful and thank you for your patronage.

Sincerely,

LYLE GOFF

CUSTOMER SERVICE MANAGER "

10. Myke

[​IMG] Great Price Here
    Import CDs : $76.94 less $7.69 (current 10% off sale) = $69.25 !!!!

https://www.importcds.com/rescue-me-...s/683904633330

SALE ENDS THURSDAY THE 14th !!!!

Granted, Bull Moose hasn't listed this yet, and Amazon's price will drop from the current MSRP, but this is a 54% off deal here, and even if someone else beats it between now, and 9/11, pre orders are easy to cancel by phone.

11. Myke

Bull Moose has now loaded it for $87.97. Meanwhile the Import CDs sale has been extended until tomorrow.

12. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

I'm in the midst of a re-watch on Amazon Prime- best I've ever seen the show look. I have all the dvd's, but of course hi-def is better and the streamed 1080P is better than the highly compressed 1080i version I saw on the original airing.

I agree that the 2nd half wasn't as good as the first, but it was still great TV. I put this series up against BB, Sopranos, etc. as one of the best ever.

Has ANY show ever shown the emotional range of RM? Some of the funniest scenes ever contrasted with some of the saddest ever- and everything in between. And alpha-males are shown in true realism: all the aggression, control, bravado, etc. on display but also the consequences of that kind of behavior. Along with realistic portrayals of PTSD and alcoholism.

I think it was the role of a career for most involved. Incredible writing. I think it was actually too realistic for many folks.

DHamilton and Myke like this.
  13. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

I think I stuck with it for 3 or 4 seasons when it aired originally but ended up losing interest in it and I can't remember exactly why. I really like Leary and even was one of the 3 people that watched "Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll" even though it was also starting to lose me at the end of it's run.

JimW and ohnothimagen like this.
  14. Myke

I've got The Job on DVD. Me and 4 other guys. :laugh:

JimW likes this.
  15. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

With Leary's current run on Animal Kingdom following S,D,R&R and Rescue Me. He seems to be Hollywood's go-to guy for playing burnt out dude's with substance abuse problems! Sad, because the only time it worked to his benefit was in Rescue Me!

JimW likes this.
  16. Myke

I quit TV 5 years ago, so I haven't seen anything since.

17. ohnothimagen

As much as I love Denis Leary I thought Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll was terrible...not only did I find it hard to care about any of the characters -Leary's included- by the end I found quite a few of them actively annoying. I can see why they cancelled the series...my wife liked it much more than I did, don't ask me why...
    Make that five:righton:. IMO when The Job was at its best it was easily on par with Rescue Me. And why not? Seems like half the friggin' cast of Rescue Me was on The Job! I believe at some point Leary and Peter Tolan had some sort of falling out, which is a shame, because they made a helluva team.
    I've never seen (or even heard of) Animal Kingdom, but it does seem like Tommy Gavin (Rescue Me), Mike McNeil (The Job) and Johnny Rock (SDR&R) were all variations on the same basic character. Time to switch it up, maybe, Denis.

Duke Fame likes this.
  18. JimW

I watched SDRR and really wanted to like it. It wasn't bad, but a big letdown from RM.

I'm one of those 4.

I was going to give up on AK, but when I heard Leary was joining, I got back on. He doesn't even show up until halfway through. And it's kinda sad- just Tommy in old age w/ H instead of booze.

I thought it was OK- just disappointing compared to RM's brilliance. Had a few genuine lol moments, but nothing like RM and none of the pathos, despite the characters being pretty pathetic.

At its best TJ may have equaled RM, but there was a lot of misses with those hits. RM was incredibly consistent in every scene being great- at least through S4, and still highly consistent the whole series.

I see TJ as a "warm-up" for RM; many of the pieces in place and getting a grip on the material. But then hitting lightning in a bottle with choosing NYPD and 9-11 as a backdrop, which added real weight to the show, great contrast for the crazy antics and a real depth to play off the issues of Alpha Male/Alcoholism/PTSD. Tolan and Leary hit their stride. Too bad if they fell out- they were a great team.

Tommy was he role of Leary's career. It is similar to roles past and present, but that "character" is a big part of his persona. He's like that in his standup. I think he just plays various versions of himself- raving lunatic!

Ever seen his deleted scene from Natural Born Killers? Classic.

Duke Fame and ohnothimagen like this.
  19. ohnothimagen

Indeed, some of Tommy's rants in Rescue Me coulda come right out of No Cure For Cancer or Lock N'Load:laugh:
    Of course...it's been years since I've watched Natural Born Killers but if I were to see it again now Leary's cameo would probably be the only thing I'd like about it...what a dumb f--king movie IMO. No offense, Oliver.

20. JimW

Just goes to show how folks can see eye-to-eye on some things but be directly opposed in something similar. NBK is one of my fave movies. What a wild ride- but real issues behind the craziness. Great music too; I discovered Leonard Cohen b/c of his song over the finale/credits.

Of course, you have to be willing to accept that lawmen and the media are bigger villains than serial killers. And be willing to absorb a lot of graphic, highly stylized violence.

You do remember Leary's bit isn't actually in the movie, right? I think it's hilarious, but agree that it doesn't fit the tone of the movie.

ohnothimagen likes this.
  21. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

Rescue Me was one of the greatest dramas on TV, with hilarious highs and heart-wrenching lows. Tremendous characters.

ohnothimagen, budwhite and Myke like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.