Better Call Saul - Season Four Discussion & Digestion

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by EVOLVIST, Jul 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

That would seem to be the obvious reason for Jimmy's call. Which makes me think it is going to end up being something very different.

2. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

The line about a place being "easy pickings" or something similar that featured in one of the "This season on BCS" promos is likely from this conversation. It does seem like we viewers are being set up for a swerve. Simple B&E is neither Jimmy's nor Mike's MO.

JimW likes this.
  3. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

Was the doctor who Gus had examining Hector the same doctor who helped Gus, Mike and Jesse recover after Gus poisoned Don Eladio's crew?

Kyhl and EddieMann like this.
  4. bloodisthin

bloodisthin And after all, we're only ordinary men

Yep.

Kyhl and Bender Rodriguez like this.
  5. bloodisthin

Oh yeah. The first episode set the table, and now the rubber has hit the road. A superb hour of TV. Man, nobody delivers death from above like Gustavo Fring.

"One of the classic movie channels is showing Jaws 3-D" - anyone else think this might've been a friendly swipe at BCS's parent channel, which used to proudly be "American Movie Classics"? :)

Hot Ptah, sberger, JimW and 1 other person like this.
  6. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Sure, especially since "White Heat" is in the Turner library and a regular on TCM (the "other classic movie channel").

Hot Ptah likes this.
  7. Wherever I go; there I am.

8. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

Maybe a buy low from the old lady who also had these and sell high to the copy guys based on shill ebay bid prices. With a kickback to the lady if Jimmy is still part nice.

9. George P

George P Notable Member

So why didn't Jimmy take the job selling copiers?

Was it because his potential bosses seem too much like his Dad? Too easy to convince, gullable and therefore he can't respect them? Was this just a tool for the writers to show us how Jimmy was further turning into Saul?

I found it interesting that that he was dismissing them because they didn't want to check his references and do due diligence when in last season he didn't care about any of that stuff when hiring his own receptionist. Again maybe further showing him transforming into Saul?

rburly likes this.
  10. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I don't think so. He wanted to scam them by pilfering their valuable figurines.

That too.

ssmith3046 and George P like this.
  11. EVOLVIST

EVOLVIST Kid A Thread Starter

I'm pretty sure that during the interview Jimmy realized that he spotted two rubes.

He left, stopped, thought that he could run a con, ran the con, and then berated the rubes for being so gullible.

In short, in the wake of Chuck's death, Jimmy wanted to see if he could "slip" and snare these guys.

That's my take, anyway.

Then he gets the bright idea about that hummel. But, I'm sure the hummel is just one part of it.

My thinking is (and I'm probably wrong) that Jimmy started off looking for a legit job before Chuck died, as evident from Jimmy circling the job ads in the paper, but as time goes on Jimmy will see how much easier it is for him to slip...or maybe straight up commit some serious criminal acts.

By the way, didn't you guys love that scene where Kim gave Jimmy the sweetest of loving looks? She's really in love with him. He's going to break her heart (or worse).

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
    Hot Ptah, jlocke08 and George P like this.
  12. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Lot of truth in this, but they don't look like "twins" to me (and never did)

13. bloodisthin

By the end of this episode, Jimmy and Kim have both chosen to keep fateful secrets from each other: she tells him she sat around the house all day (and keeps Chuck's letter from him). He doesn't tell her that he was offered a job, and then blew it up.

They're so beautiful together. They are so doomed.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
    Dayfold, albertop, EVOLVIST and 2 others like this.
  14. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

lol whooosh right over my head. Good call.

15. JimW

I think another reason, at least how I see it- is that Jimmy is frightened by success. We saw how uncomfortable he was at Davis & Main and then sabotaged that. Now, he's got a shot at a job he'd be great in- and appreciated by his bosses- until he can lawyer again. Just another reason why he turns into Saul; he's only comfortable in the element of Slippin' Jimmy. He likely has internalized all Chuck's BS and deep down feels he doesn't deserve to be successful on the right side of the law.

First, she blasts Howard for his insensitivity to her man. That had me thinking "man, she really loves him." Then, that look- she's way gone. And yes- I think he'll break her heart AND worse.

George P and Deesky like this.
  16. JimW

I still can't get over how such a detail-oriented show as this has Mike's grand-daughter pretty much the same age she was in BB. Made me wonder if this one might die- being the final straw for Mike to complete his transformation to the dark side and his daughter-in-law has another child. But even though I'm blanking, don't they have the same name?

Hot Ptah, Gems-A-Bems and dustybooks like this.
  17. EVOLVIST

EVOLVIST Kid A Thread Starter

@JimW - Jimmy is frightened by success unless that success comes by means of Jimmy's own devices - Jimmy's own rules.

This trait is often what makes a criminal or a genius...or both.

Kyhl and JimW like this.
  18. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Didn’t Kim say she mostly sat around the house? Plus, Jimmy already knew she was going to the meeting.

rburly likes this.
  19. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

When the owners of Neff Copiers told Jimmy that they "have to consider all options and get back to him," he figured that was just a roundabout way of them saying "No" to him... As he leaves the office, he then transforms to "Slippin' Jimmy" and takes it all as challenge to use his hustle, acting skills, and verbal "magic" to run a pitch.... The owners failed -- Jimmy would never want to work for anyone who could so easily fall for his one of his scams.

Kyhl, Hot Ptah and EVOLVIST like this.
  20. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

You could almost call the show "I Like Mike" as well as "Better Call Saul." I'm really enjoying the slowly intertwining story lines here. . . They'll weave a bit closer together next week is my guess.

mmars982 and JimW like this.
  21. George P

George P Notable Member

But was it a scam?

I saw it as Jimmy using his ingenuity to show his potential employers what a great salesman he was, despite having no direct experience in the field. If he could sell them, he could sell to many customers, no?

Gavinyl and RayS like this.
  22. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

It was a scam in the sense that he got them to "your hired" without the slightest bit of due diligence on their part as Jimmy subsequently laid out for them.

rburly likes this.
  23. George P

George P Notable Member

I though they had had already given him a full interview?

And Jimmy had urged Kim to hire Francesca without checking any of her references, without any due diligence, after only a short interview.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  24. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I hope so because for a long time now its been two shows in one. Essentially, you have the BB universe with Mike and Gus, etc, and the Jimmy universe, with very little overlap. I think it's high time that these two universes collide more substantially.

artfromtex likes this.
  25. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Jimmy's motivation, though, wasn't to impress them with his sales acumen -- although he possesses this skill, he would have taken the job if that was the point.

He was driven to show these owners just how easily they can be scammed by a hustler who gives them the quick read and then basically feeds them what they wanted to hear.

If the owners said something like, " Wow, we are now even more impressed by your skill and qualifications for the job, but we still must assess and confer on this. We'll surely let you know within a week", Jimmy would have probably had a lot more respect for them. He just can't be subordinate to anyone he can easily manipulate -- he just can't respect them.

Kyhl, genesim and George P like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.