Artists you once passionately loved but who now sort of annoy you

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Atmospheric, Sep 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Just don't have this issue.

2. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

I'm the exact same. I think the reason so many of my favorites have remained favorites (or even grow on me still) is that I never view an artist under a set of "ideals" that they must continue maturing on, or living up to. Even if some of my favorites fall under a fictitious or escapism kind of entertainment, I always take the intent and, most importantly, the music as a face value item. Essentially, either I love it or I don't. And either I find myself continually returning to it or I don't. And it's awful rare for the former to be true and the latter somehow mysteriously dwindle.

It also helps, in my opinion, to not take the love of music so serious. No matter who it is. Because you will always run the risk of creating a "quality ideal" or an image that you may find crashing down around you one day! I don't mean being ashamed to passionately love a band, or to not spend days on end breaking down their songs, session tracks, pressings or archiving what you love about their work. That's why it's fun to be the admirers. And to post here! :D

But I mean that it helps to not take artists seriously from a personal, ideals, or critical point of view. They are making "pop art", not running for office, babysitting your loved ones, or tending to our morals or our growing wisdom as we age. Heck, in my case the growing wisdom isn't even a guarantee! As is surely evident. So I'm continuing to listen to what moves me. Period. :laugh:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  3. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

Jim James
    Hiss Golden Messenger
    Brendan Perry
    Michael Nau
    Scott Walker

I still like their early albums, but the more recent ones I find annoying.

4. Babysquid

Babysquid Forum Resident

5. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

HGM remain one of my favorites, although I miss Scott Hirsch's sonic architecture on the last couple of albums. You should seek out his solo album, Blue Rider Songs.

HGM seem to be getting fairly popular, headlining small theaters. I'm happy for them.

His last couple of solo albums didn't do much for me. Hello, Dear Wind by Page France remains one of my favorite albums of the millennium.

6. arem

arem Forum Resident

Red Hot Chili Peppers. I had some of the best concert experiences of my life with them back in the Hillel Slovak era, and even when Frusciante first joined. But I've really loathed everything they've done since about 1993. Never would have thunk it back in the day.

TheMovieRad and tedhead like this.
  7. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I use to be mad on Rory Gallagher in my teens. I went off him after the brilliant Live In Europe - by which time he had basically said all he had to say. He added Lou Martin on keyboards (totally unecessary in my opinion) for Blueprint and Tattoo and I went right off him. I came back to him a little when the remastered CDs appeared but realised that I didnt really like his voice or songs all that much. I still love the guy though and he remains one of my favourite guitarists.

Man at C&A likes this.
  8. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

The pendulum swings. I loved David Bowie during his heyday in the '70's, and then he annoyed the hell out of me for about 35-years. I bought my wife A New Career in a New Town for her birthday and Visconti's 2017 remix of Lodger has got me enjoying THE GRANDE DAME for the first time in decades.

danielbravo, snowman872 and sleepjar like this.
  9. Coldplay, definitely. If any group could be accused of selling out to make more pop and dance oriented music, it's Coldplay. They were once one of my favorite bands.

10. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

Right. There are few more refreshing ways to spend a few hours than to discuss what people don't like. Kind of like a high colonic.

11. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I've always culled from my collection. Anything that doesn't retain interest. There was a point I removed all Bowie and most T.Rex, but in the last decade selectivily added key albums by those two.

Things I owned, played constantly and then removed back then and that I still can't stand today are:

The Gong Trilogy ( I retained early classic Gong),
    Steve Hillage solo albums Fish Rising and L
    Hawkwind's first albums which I owned up to including Warriors on the Edge of Time.
    Clearlight Symphony

I just got to the point where I suddenly found this kind of music self-indulgent and, dare I say, too reliant on pot consumption for its impact and mental engagement.

Atmospheric likes this.
  12. davers

davers Forum Resident

I think it's an interesting discussion about changing musical tastes...no harm in that.

13. davers

davers Forum Resident

I generally agree with the above, but the River Anniversary tour renewed my appreciation of the Boss for a while. What an amazing show!

danielbravo likes this.
  14. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

This thread is another one derailed because people only read the title and didn't read the headpost. If you still like an artist's early work and don't like the artist's recent work (which seems to be the common complaint from the former Springsteen fans) then that artist doesn't count. o/p wasn't interested in artists who changed but listeners who changed.

15. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

There's stuff I used to take pretty seriously when I was younger and now I'm amused by it in an affectionate way, but that's about as far as it's gone for me. I kind of like looking back, and I smile at how naïve I was...

danasgoodstuff and mozz like this.
  16. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

Morrissey......used to hang on his every word.
    Now apart from his ego fuelled political and racist gaffs, I cant listen to the D.R. 5 crap he doles out (on a new label each time) every year or so.
    The biggest shame to me was that Visconti absolutely ruined Ringleader Of the Tormentors which had a lot of good songs underneath the noise.

Man at C&A likes this.
  17. electricmetaphor

electricmetaphor Forum Resident

Morrissey...

Man at C&A and RobNeil like this.
  18. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I would have said Axl Rose up until a couple of years ago when he finally came to his senses and rejoined with Slash and Duff. Now all is right in the world :D

19. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Iron Maiden

danielbravo likes this.
  20. RobNeil

RobNeil Forum Resident

U2. Their music hasn’t really interested me for the best part of 30 years now.

Morrissey because of his views on certain things.

Man at C&A likes this.
  21. mogambotek

mogambotek Forum Resident

Mark Kozelek, without a DOUBT.

In my book the man was/is a genius and could do no wrong. His albums from the Red House Painters days upto his mid-stage Sun Kil Moon albums are still untouchable. I always considered him the greatest living songwriter of my generation.

However from the albums "Benji" onwards, he has taken a very steep decline. I still buy all his new releases, but I can't stop shaking my head whenever I play them.

22. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Hank Williams Jr

23. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Billy Joel..... I bet there is still greatness left in him, however he seems to not think so.
    Wish he'd come back and do a new album.

Fleet Fox, Mooserfan and mikedifr0923 like this.
  24. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

White Stripes and Foo Fighters. I loved them both once, but as their songwriting talent plummeted or got repetitive and they became more and more self satisfied / smug I've found Dave Grohl and especially Jack White more and more annoying.

Oh, and Morrissey too. I was a huge fan and can't get through his last few albums. World Peace in particular was witless crap with none of the subtely or humour I once loved so much in his music. Awful record.

25. Bruriah

Bruriah Forum Resident

Ditto! I even find it hard to listen to old Floyd albums nowadays and that's just because of him and his ranting. And that is, well, kinda sad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.