Paul McCartney - Egypt Station (#1 album in US) Appreciation Thread 2.0 - New and Improved

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Pepper, Sep 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zipp

zipp Forum Resident

Ram is an album that a lot of Paul's fans consider as a great achievement. Comparing and contrasting Egypt Station to it is more a compliment than anything else.

I think one thing these albums share is variety where no song goes on too long.

I must say that I'm surprised how often Chaos and Creation is referred to as a great album. To me it only contains three interesting songs (Jenny Wren, English Tea and Vanity Fair), the rest being extremely boring. At no point does Egypt Station bore me.

One album that rarely gets a mention is London Town which I feel also keeps up the listener's interest throughout. It also has a kind of folk charm that makes it rather unique.

2. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

I'm not doubting Paul's intentions were good and that he meant what he wrote in Ebony & Ivory. It's the execution that's atrocious.

Frank and JannL like this.
  3. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

On a more "appreciative" note, 5 things I love about ES:

1. I still can't get over how good Dominoes is. Love the words, the music, even the way he sings it. "In time we'll know/ It's all a show/ It's been a blast." :shake:
    2. Still love everything about Happy With You. Acoustic Paul is one of my favorite Pauls.
    3. People Want Peace. It's the sort of cheesy theme that normally I wouldn't like from Paul but it's plaintive without being saccharine.
    4. I don't Know. When I first heard the 2 singles, I was kinda meh about I Don't Know and I thought Come On to Me was a great little pop song. Now I feel like Come On to Me isn't substantive enough for the album (should have been a bonus track), and I Don't Know is a fantastic opener.
    5. Cowbell on Hunt You Down!!!! (Is that a cowbell?) Either way, it's awesome.

4. angelees

angelees Forum Resident

So now that I've finally admitted to myself that Fuh You is another perfect pop confection... I can't help but wonder to myself, how many perfect pop songs has Paul written anyway?

• I Saw Her Standing There
    • She Loves You
    • I Wanna Hold Your Hand
    • Yesterday
    • We Can Work It Out
    • Drive My Car
    • Eleanor Rigby
    • Penny Lane
    • Hello, Goodbye
    • Eat At Home
    • Another Day
    • Listen To What The Man Said
    • Silly Love Songs
    • With A Little Luck
    • Goodnight Tonight
    • Take It Away
    • Say, Say, Say
    • Ever Present Past
    • My Valentine
    • New
    • Queenie Eye
    • Fuh You
    • Nothing For Free

5. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

Maybe. I'm not sure I would be able to tell the difference, but I don't think the song credits show a synth either.

Joseph Marshall likes this.
  6. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

Yeah I noticed TMP was there twice but that was the way I originally saw it and copied it word for word onto here. A Love For You would be a better inclusion than a second TMP. If adding A Love For You into this, I choose it whether it was against Fuh You or People Want Peace.

Mr. Explorer and theMess like this.
  7. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Wonderful Christmastime >>>> Ebony & Ivory

8. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

Literally everything Paul has done in the 2000s is better than Ram. Yes, even Driving Rain.

ausgraeme, mrjinks, nsm and 1 other person like this.
  9. angelees

angelees Forum Resident

London Town is great!

10. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

That's your opinion, it's not the opinion of many African Americans that still to this day, like everything about that song, and I'm not saying that only African Americans like Ebony and Ivory, but I'm speaking from that perspective because that's my community and I know what I've heard from many of them. They love the artist involved, the message and the execution.

What's wrong with McCartney on bass, and Wonder on Keyboards and drums? They both sound great singing, and actually have something to say! Bash away, but this is a song that deserved all of it's #1 hit status!

11. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

OK, wait, what about this? "What's That You're Doing" >>> "Ebony and Ivory."

gja586 and jmxw like this.
  12. Ringo Hendrix

Ringo Hendrix Resident Pest

OVERTHROW THE PEPPER!!!!!!

I'm kidding, I would never do that. ;)

....Or, would I? Better watch your back, doc. :D

Mr. Explorer, mrjinks and Dr. Pepper like this.
  13. Ringo Hendrix

Ringo Hendrix Resident Pest

Does Say Say Say really count as him writing though?

Who wrote the majority of the song?

14. Antivenom9808

Antivenom9808 Forum Resident

Several songs were recorded in those sessions.

Also, two tracks produced with Tedder.

15. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry? Thread Starter

Consensus seems to be with a CD DR of 7 and a Vinyl DR of 10 it looks pretty bad on paper, but it sounds much better than you would think from the numbers.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  16. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Oh! What's That Your Doing is one of the funkiest songs McCartney has ever done. I remember walking into a club in Korea, where U.S. soldiers partied and the dance floor was packed and everyone was getting down to the song! McCartney showing that he can do it all!

When I DJ, I always include it in my playlist along with the fast funky version of No More Lonely Nights, both songs gets them on the dance floor.

I really admire that McCartney tries it all.

Mr. Explorer, JDeanB, theMess and 5 others like this.
  17. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry? Thread Starter

Let me fix this. "OVERTHROW THE PEPPER!!!!!! Oh, and I really enjoy the fun and exciting track, Dominoes!"

18. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Dominoes is great, and my appreciation of Get Started has grown as well, both are songs that McCartney should be performing live.

19. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

How can anything sound bad on paper?
    Sorry I’m no audiophile and on a forum like this I shouldn’t t say this but....
    The only way I can judge a sound is by listening to it.
    What am I doin wrong
    I don t know
    :)
    By the way my SHM-cd has arrived and to my ears sounds very, very good.

Mr. Explorer and The Band like this.
  20. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I agree-What s that you r doin has some serious grooves. I actually like that one much more now than when Tug of war first arrived.
    The fast versions of No more lonely night I personally could live without though
    But that s me

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  21. Bill Larson

Bill Larson Forum Resident

Fuh You>>>>Temporary Secretary>>>>Yesterday

22. For the Record

For the Record Forum Resident

Ok Sir, I'm going to have to ask you to take your seat. :laugh:

23. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I like all three of these
    Must admit that Yesterday have a slight advantage over the other two
    And most every other song ever created

24. Joseph Marshall

Joseph Marshall Interstellar Burst...

Twin Freaks version is better than the original IMO. That whole album is amazing. Love it. I don't listen to it enough.

Mr. Explorer, Paul H and The Band like this.
  25. Joseph Marshall

Joseph Marshall Interstellar Burst...

I enjoy these forums a lot bc discussion can be had without anyone taking things personally or taking things to a personal level (generally anyhow).
    That said, I must ask: You. must. be. kidding????? RAM is weaker than Driving Rain? I mean, just "Too Many People" alone sets it far. far apart from "Driving Rain." Monkberry Moon Delight is miles more entertaining than <insert any Driving Rain song>. Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey is leaps and bounds more creative than any tune that can be found on Driving Rain. The only tune that survives Driving Rain is "Your Loving Flame." I'm not saying RAM is a brilliant piece of art to be worshiped but..but..Driving..<gulp> Rain.....please... help.. me.. understand..please???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.