Thorens 160 owners - If you owned three spare head shells, which carts would you have in rotation?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bayen, Sep 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bayen

bayen Forum Resident Thread Starter

I own a stock Thorens 160 turntable that currently has an AT 20ss cartridge installed and I own a spare TP16 head shell with an AT Signet TK5e installed. While searching for another spare the opportunity to own three more head shells presented itself and I made the purchase. So....I was hoping for some ideas/suggestions and was wondering, If you had three empty TP16 head shells and could install three desired carts for heavy rotation, which three would you be using? THANKS!

2. bayen

Anyone? Adding a bit more info: Budget for at least one cart $500...new cart. I own a Shure V15vxmr, it's on a Technics headshell at the moment...always wanted to own a Shure V15 IV...maybe for spare Thorens headshell? Also, own two mono carts an AT Mono3 LP and a Grado Prestige ME+ ...both on technics headshells...maybe try one on the Thorens? Here is a list of carts that members have posted good things about:
    Audio-Technica VM540ML
    Denon DL-103R Moving Coil
    Hana MC Stereo Cartridge with Elliptical Tip - EL

The Thorens is currently using a Forte Model 2 pre-amp with adjustable gain. Thanks

3. Mr.Sneis

Mr.Sneis Forum Resident

Dl110 or DL103
    Ortofon 2m bronze/black
    AT mono 3

The denons for less than perfect records, the ortofon for the nice conditioned ones and a mono cart for good measure. Total cost shouldn't be too bad!

4. skimminstones

skimminstones Forum Resident

Love my sumiko pearl in my td160

5. Quidjay

Quidjay Well-Known Member

I'm using a AT VM740ML on a SME 3009 S2 improved tonearm, and it's amazing how great it sounds on a Thorens. I originally had it on the stock TP16 tonearm and headshell and also was quite happy with it (I replaced the tonearm because it had a ground buzz and had an itch to upgrade, but had to no complaints with the sound quality otherwise).

6. bayen

Super suggestions, thanks! Sumiko pearl is a great idea...I've heard good things on the forum. I'll have to research the AT VM740ML...wonder how it differs from the 540ML...a step up? Thanks, Mr Sneis...I think you helped me decide which mono cart to install! The denons mentioned have been on my 'want to hear' list for a while...may choose. Regarding the Ortofon Bronze....I have the Bronze on a Technic headshell and it sounds truly amazing. Trying this cart on my Thorens was an idea...but I seem to recall a comment or two regarding the Thorens not being a good match? But I'm willing to try! Thanks again

7. • Denon DL-11o (own and thoroughly enjoy)
    • Ortofon OM-30 Super or 2M Bronze (alternative option within reach)
    • Miyajima Madake (fantasy option)

8. Orrin Porter Rockwell

Orrin Porter Rockwell Well-Known Member

Which TD-160 do you have - original model or MKII? IIRC, the original has more tonearm effective mass and probably would like a lower compliance cartridge than the MKII does.

Original, sometimes called MKI = 16.5g effective mass

MKII = 7.5g

In other words, I wouldn't recommend a cartridge like a V15 III on an original, nor would something like a DL-103 work well with a MKII

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
    Gumboo likes this.
  9. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Mine is a strictly 'vanilla' audio experience, so:

Stanton 681-EEE-S
    Shure M44-7

... don't need a third one

10. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

I love my AT440mla on my TD145 with stock TP16 arm. I think the 540 is the newer equivalent.

The 2M series Ortofons won't work on the headshell because they need to be mounted from the top

11. ddarch

ddarch Senior Member

[QUOTE="SirMarc, post: 19614161, member: 55092"The 2M series Ortofons won't work on the headshell because they need to be mounted from the top[/QUOTE]
    The 2M Verso models work.

Gumboo and SirMarc like this.
  12. bayen

Yes! I forgot why I couldn't use my Ortofon with the Thorens...unfortunately I don't own the verso model. I have an original TD 160...I appreciate the information regarding compliance...something I knew I'd have to address when making a decision.

13. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

The versos work but are a PITA to install.

14. Quidjay

Quidjay Well-Known Member

The 540 and the 740 spec out the same, the difference being that the 740 is heavier than the two. However, from what I remember, the 740 isn't as bright as you'd expect for an AT cart and definitely less than the 540 (although, I haven't heard each side by side so I can't say if that's true). Based on that, I chose the 740 to try and cut that brightness.

15. bayen

Thanks, I'll have to compare the specs (540/740)...I prefer less brightness also. Ned Bode...I've never owned a Stanton...but like your Shure M44-7 idea. I actually own one that I purchased for 45's and haven't used in a long while...if I had it on one of the spare Thorens headshells maybe it would see more playtime. Thanks again for all the input.

16. After reading some of these thread entries, I have rethought the Ortofon Bronze option. However, it is time to fill out that other headshell.

I love the Denon (160/110) sound. It’s got great mids, nice bass, and decent highs. It has a warm, occasionally beefy sound that has good synergy with an original Thorens 160. It tracks like a champ. It plays blues, rock, jazz, reggae, and classical really well regardless of whether they’re old, used Dynaflex presses or the latest MoFi.

Yet, I’d like to try a new sound...

Nothing too bright or too fussy; must be a good tracker, no IGD history, a great personality, and enjoy long walks on the beach.

Trying to maintain a $200-300 budget, is there anything out there that may be a step up from what I have—or should I perhaps go for a $150-200 retip of my old Denon 160? If there are any who have retipped an old Denon 160 or 110, what are your experiences/recommendations?

Thanks,

Bill

Gumboo likes this.
  17. After looking at the Soundsmith retip option and reading raves about this brand on the forum, I must say I’m quite tempted by their Otello cartridge.

Does anyone have any experience with this cart on a Thorens 160?

Any constructive advice is welcome. Thanks!

Bill

18. bayen

Thread Update: Thorens headshells arrived and all working perfectly. Spent the weekend experimenting and decided to try my Shure M44-7 on one and my AT Mono3 LP on another. Loved the M44-7 with the Thorens/Forte Model2 set up but the AT mono didn't really do anything for me...believe this cart sounded better on my Technics. Eventually, I decided the Shure wouldn't get much use on the Thorens and moved both carts back to Technics headshells...and came to the conclusion that all I need is one extra Thorens headshell, not three. So, I'll be selling two and keeping one. I ordered a Denon 103r and can't wait to install. I'll be starting a new thread with a few Denon questions...need advice regarding mounting hardware. Thanks for the help!

19. doctor fuse

doctor fuse Forum Resident

I have a 160 and 145, and three headshells between them.

The 160 in my main system has a Benz Micro Wood SL. Nice combo, and the TP16 mkI handles it with aplomb.
    The 145 in my bedroom sports a Benz MC20E2L. Also works very well.
    I had an Excel ES70EX4 on the spare headshell, but I was recently given a Rega Planar 3 and the cart went on that (the Rega Bias looks cool but sounds ho hum).
    Not sure what to put on the spare. I have a Link ASAK that needs a retip, my Grado M8Z hums on Thorens decks, and I'm not terribly happy with the choices for new styli for an old Empire 2000EIII that currently sits on a CEC BD2000 (Nice cheapo table if you tweak it a bit!).

20. popthinker

popthinker Forum Resident

Hi. I realize this thread is quite old, but do you still have an extra Thorens headshell for the TP 16? (I would have sent you a PM, but I don't yet have that access.) Thanks!

21. bayen

Hello! I eventually purchased a Denon 103 and a Denon 103r. I also purchased an AT33 mono cart...so, all three headshells are currently being used. I see them on eBay all the time...a bit pricey though. Good luck with your search!

22. aakko

aakko Forum Resident

I have AT-150E with AT440Mlb stylus on my Thorens TD160 with MK1 TP16. Sounds fantastic. AT-440 cartridge is too light for TP16 and doesn't sound nearly as good as AT-150 cartridge with AT440Mlb stylus. AT150 is 1.64 g heavier than AT-440 and a better match for TP16.

AT-440 sounds congested with TP16. AT-150 sounds more open and there is more bass.

Gumboo likes this.
  23. I also recently purchased the Denon 103 for my TP-16. I love it. How do you find that it compares to the 103R? This may be my next cartridge.

Thanks,

Bill

24. bayen

Hello Bill. I don't think a direct comparison of the two carts would be accurate in my case. I'm using two different step up transformers...a Denon AU-300 with a 1:10 ratio for the 103 and Cinemag 3440's with a 1:18 ratio for the 103r...also use different pre amp gain settings. I did try to compare both set ups...didn't plan on keeping two denons...but enjoyed both so much that I couldn't decide. I will attempt again...I've been spending the last few months with the 103r and soon I'll switch to the 103 for a comparison. If I do keep both I plan on upgrading the body and maybe the cantilever on whichever cart needs it first...but that's a few years down the road. Yes, both sound amazing on the TP-16!

Bill Why Man likes this.
  25. Joop

Joop Forum Resident

I have a TD145 and a TD160 and use them both in different setups. I have four different headshells. Three original tp60’s and one alternative headshell wich I bought on Ebay (you know, the more ‘modern’ looking one). I bought this one out of curiousity and to be more flixible with cartridge choice. In practice I prefer to use the original tp60. Looks better and I feel original is better in most cases, the engineers who designed the tp16/tp60 probably knew what they were doing.

I have the following cartridges installed:
    Ortofon 2m blue verso (on my main system TD 145)
    Denon DL110 (on my secondary system TD160)
    Nagaoka MP110 with a JNP200 stylus (takes turns, installed in the alternative headshell)
    Ortofon F15 (came with the TD145, not in use, stylus severely worn)

At this point I like the 2m blue best. It is a great match with the TP16 arm. I know that in theory it is not optimal, but in real life it works and sounds brilliant, to me at least.

The Denon is excellent as well. As good as the blue, the differences are subtle, if any.

I feel the Nagaoka works better in my Project RPM 1.3 that is not in use at the moment.

Nothing scientific here, they all sound great and track well. The Ortofon looks great as well in that funny tp60 headshell, maybe that’s why it’s my favorite right now...

Bill Why Man and Gumboo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.