What is the Best sounding Donald Fagen Nightfly cd?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sean2e, Nov 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

:unhunh:

Sean2e likes this.
  2. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

It's true, though. It's the same PCM mastering for both.

Sean2e, marcb and Dave like this.
  3. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

Maybe so.

But have you done an actual shootout between the two? Myself and a few friends who's ears I trust, did a listening comparison a few years ago and we all agreed the JSACD sounded best.

YMMV.

Sean2e likes this.
  4. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Yes I have tested/extracted both and the SACD is just a reissue of the DVD-A in another format.
    I don't dispute that it sounds better to you in a shoot out. It's probably due to how your equipment treats one signal vs the other (PCM/DSD).
    In any case, SACD or DVD-A, this mastering is my favorite version of The Nightfly.

albertop, Sean2e and marcb like this.
  5. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Is the SACD a Hybrid? If so, is the RedBook Layer similar in sound quality to early WG or Japan CD versions? Thanks

SOONERFAN and Sean2e like this.
  6. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

It's a hybrid but I haven't listened to or tested the RedBook layer; if I remember correctly, it's a copy of the older standard mastering? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Sean2e and TheSeldomSeenKid like this.
  7. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

Found a USA copy today at my local used record store. It was marked $4 so I went for it. The booklet lists “Original Mastering: Bob Ludwig at Masterdisk, N.Y.C.” Sounds darn good to me!

Catalog Number on cover: 9 23696-2
    Matrix Info - Z39142 M1S6 1 23696-2 RE-1 03
    (Very small font) ifpi L909
    (On clear area, center of CD) IFPI 2U7C

(Off topic but I also found a NM vinyl copy of McCartney’s Wings Over America for $5 so I grabbed that too.).

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
    Sentient(Jæ)Ant and Sean2e like this.
  8. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

This album sounds great no matter what.
    If the dvd-a is beyond your range (I don't have it - mind...) you might as well wanna grab any old cd or, if you don't have any other solo stuff, grab the Cheap Xmas set which reportedly shares the same mastering as any older cd.

Sean2e likes this.
  9. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I am happy with the current in print CD issue of the album which is the standard 80s CD mastering.

10. mscoll

mscoll Forum Resident

I have a West German Target CD that sounds a little bit flattish, but I don't believe the SACD sounds better. This is usual 1980s sound, but I don't complain. I kind of accept it/get used to it. The album, however, is great! Mastering credit is given to Bob Ludwig at Masterdisk, N.Y.C. Also, booklet states "Recorded and mixed entirely on 3M digital 32 track and 4 track machines at Soundworks Digital Audio/Video Recording Studios" N.Y etc.. The same credits are on US LP record.

rodentdog likes this.
  11. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

You have such a warm welcoming spirit.

thxphotog and Synthfreek like this.
  12. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I have several different pressings of this title............I have always favored my target made in Japan cd (1984). It sounds incredible. :righton:

13. Remington Steele

Remington Steele Forum Resident

Like Steely Dan, I have found the common original cd or lp sounds very good.

klockwerk likes this.
  14. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i'm sorry, but what i said was nothing but the truth.

i know some don;t like, it, but it is what it is.

15. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

I bought the US original CD no too long ago. This album sounds great, not sure what else could be done about it.

16. mscoll

mscoll Forum Resident

Would you mind post peak levels of your copy? I know that peak levels don't help determine the quality of mastering, but give me an idea if WG Target CD was sourced from the same master. Here are the peak levels of the CD that I own:

78.5 / 84.5 / 74.1 / 66.4 / 71.3 / 91.3 / 77.6 / 100.0

17. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I don't have the peak levels.......but I know there are plenty of members on this forum that do. You can probably do a search or create a thread and ask. I've never owned or heard the West German target. Good luck mscoll. :righton:

18. Another vote for me for the 80's UK CD issue. Picked it up for £1 !

Somerset Scholar likes this.
  19. mscoll

mscoll Forum Resident

No worries. I think the mastering could be the same as on your disc. In fact, I think the mastering hasn't been touched for years. I'd speculate the new re-issues still use the same 1980s mastering.

Dr. Funk likes this.
  20. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Same. Matches my Japan JVC for US as well.

Dr. Funk and mscoll like this.
  21. mscoll

mscoll Forum Resident

As I posted above, I think all JPN-for-USA CDs may share the same mastering as West German Targets. If anyone has fairly recent (the 1990s) Warner's CD, please post the peak levels from EAC so that will be easy to determine the mastering.

c-eling likes this.
  22. c-eling

Well, we're in luck. Revision (RE-1) done in the 90's (they all carry an IFPI)
    Matches as well
    Album details - Dynamic Range Database

mscoll likes this.
  23. MichaelXX2

MichaelXX2 Dictator perpetuo

Is the buzzing sound indicative of the old "bad" CD mastering? The one that was sourced from tape? I noticed it when I last listened to it. I've been trying to find the later "corrected" CD but I haven't had much luck.

24. c-eling

Not sure Michael, wonder if it's just the old US SRC manufactures? I just checked and I hear no buzz on my JVC for US.

25. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

Has this album ever had bad mastering?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.