Meltdown: King Crimson, Live in Mexico

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jimbino, Aug 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kalli

Kalli Forum Resident

...it's not Easy Money, it's the final alto sax solo on Islands which sounds strange to my ears in surround audio of the film. There is clearly some additional delay which does neither appear in the stereo mix of the footage nor in the surround audio content. - Beside that this version simply blows my mind, gives me shivers up and down my spine. Tony's face expression right before they turn "Beneath the wind turned wave..." says it all! :p

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
    Tim Bucknall likes this.
  2. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I have to correct myself having listened again. @Kalli is right: Mel is in the other speakers although I think that he's “most of all” front left. There could be some psychology in this: see him front left, hear him front left.

Tim Bucknall and Kalli like this.
  3. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Still haven’t got my copy yet but it’ll be in the mail box within the next days.

Looking much forward.

rontoon likes this.
  4. Hi. I dont have a blu Ray player. Do you think its worth just getting the 3 CD set? Its available under 30 pounds uk. What do you think

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  5. MichaelCPE

MichaelCPE Forum Resident

I think it is worth getting a blu-ray player.

6. ouch!!

7. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Yes I think you are correct. The recent incarnation is too precise. It feels like the music has landed in a museum. I still like the oldest incarnations the best. The era captured in “The Great Deceiver” box reveals an exciting risk taking band. I still enjoy the new band but for different reasons-mature musicians playing repertoire. I like classical music so that is ok with me but if I want excitement I will travel back in time.

8. Kalli

Kalli Forum Resident

This incarnation is definitely not making the old originals obsolete, but it's a great addition, maby an enhancement and surly a treasure to have them with us.

9. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

Tony Levin is an absolute monster on this release! Compared to the other recent live releases, his presence in the mix makes a huge difference in how these performances resonate.

Also, this version of “Fracture” blows away the version on “Live in Vienna”...

10. Kalli

Kalli Forum Resident

I was screaming out loudly when I saw him improvising his variations on Sailor's Tale during my first watching session -pure virtuosity!!

Tim Bucknall and Echoes71 like this.
  11. kenticus

kenticus Forum Resident

Is Tony levin the mvp of this performance? Can’t wait to check out the video portion whenever it gets here...

Tim Bucknall, Kalli and Echoes71 like this.
  12. peterpyser

peterpyser Forum Resident

Do anyone know the exact date each track is performed?

13. kenticus

kenticus Forum Resident

Is that info not in the booklet? My physical copy is arriving today or tomorrow so if it’s in there, I would know at that point.

If not, the mexico shows were well documented by bootlegs....4/5 nights are out there with the 17th being the exception. What I can say is that the original version of indiscipline that they had up and then took down off YouTube was from the 16th. The version currently on YouTube is from the 16th, but with Fripps solo from the 14th pasted in. Performance is identical to the version they originally posted on YouTube aside from the Fripp solo. Sounds like from reading around that the Blu Ray version matches the original YouTube version, but I have not seen the Blu Ray yet.

Did listen to the audio on again off again all weekend, but did not bother to compare any other performances to what is on the bootlegs - decided best to just enjoy it and if I feel like it later, maybe dissect it if I am feeling curious.

14. Kalli

Kalli Forum Resident

There is no booklet.

15. John Kelman

John Kelman Writer/Photographer, AAJ Senior Contributor

Yes!

Tim Bucknall and Fishoutofwater like this.
  16. John Kelman

John Kelman Writer/Photographer, AAJ Senior Contributor

Nope.

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  17. fjtull

fjtull Forum Resident

??? There IS a booklet....i have in my hands....

seasonsinthesky and rontoon like this.
  18. kenticus

kenticus Forum Resident

I browsed the booklet when it just showed up at my office - no info on what came from what night. That’s I think what folks mean - likewise with the bonus tracks, it just says they come from those 4 shows, no details of what song comes from what night.

19. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover Thread Starter

Apologies if this has been asked before, but can anyone confirm if "Cool Jam" (disc 3) is just something something tossed about from a soundcheck?

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  20. Dave G.

Dave G. Forum Resident

sounds like - and it IS cool ...

Tim Bucknall and rontoon like this.
  21. peterpyser

peterpyser Forum Resident

Yes, i did the same, i listened to it already a couple of times without even trying to figure out from which show each track comes from. To me, it detracts from the joy of listening.
    At the same time, i know there are people who want to know exactly where each track is culled from, and they can't listen to an album like this one (a composite setlist from different shows) without knowing even the most little detail.
    I'm counting on those people to reveal them.

22. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Mine just arrived via Inner Knot. Gonna give it a test drive tonight. The downstairs tenants have been warned.

kenticus and Kalli like this.
  23. TheMaestro335

TheMaestro335 Forum Resident

Just goat my copy, watching the BR. Sound is really great in DTS master audio. One big problem is the video? It is the most choppy edit I have ever seen? Is this intentional through the entire concert. anybody else seeing this?

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  24. kenticus

kenticus Forum Resident

What makes you say that it is choppy? You talking about the occasional camera shake that happens? I’ve only watched the indiscipline video on YouTube and I quite liked the editing a lot more than radical action.

25. TheMaestro335

TheMaestro335 Forum Resident

That’s not what I am talking about there are short delays in the pic it is not smooth. I think there is something wrong with the pressing? Maybe the Oppo players I am watching it on don’t play nice with it. I will try my Sony BR player to see if it is any smoother.

sound chaser likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.