How do you keep track of which records you have cleaned?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by neut6o1, Oct 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neut6o1

neut6o1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ahh ok. What is the machine?

2. neut6o1

I win :) Or lose I guess.

3. GrahamS

GrahamS Forum Resident

I do exactly the same as Richard - great minds think alike and all that.....

4. KWJ

KWJ Forum Resident

I use yellow 2x2 post it notes and wright the date on them.

5. p147

p147 Forum Resident

I replace inner sleeves where necessary and then place in a new polythene outer sleeve, then put a small self adhesive coloured dot on the new outer sleeve in the top right hand corner and then finally register it on discogs so I know exactly what I own.

6. eflatminor

eflatminor Forum Resident

$339?...that's a smokin' deal!

7. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

I use a Sharpie fine point

8. eflatminor

eflatminor Forum Resident

In my experience, they only fall off if you apply them to the paper portion of inner sleeves. If you stick them on plastic, they don't fall off.

9. neut6o1

Where do you stick the post it? Inner sleeve? Outer sleeve?

10. neut6o1

What part do you write on?

11. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

Keeping track of record cleaning?

uzn007 likes this.
  12. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

Outer sleeve

13. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Same works for me.

Funny thing is, I have records purchased decades ago - never been RCM'd - that fit that description.

14. Chester0711

Chester0711 Forum Resident

I have begun to utilize the "notes" section of my Discogs entries. It introduced all sorts of new OCD issues like, what should I put in the notes? What format should I use for the notes? Do I mark it bought used or new? How is the date formatted? where should I put the purchase price? should I round up? and yet somehow, all of this calms a soothes the nerves to an even greater extent. It's a vicious cycle. I am in the process of retroactively updating all 1200+ records I have purchased over the past 2 years, which in and of itself creates stress because I cannot find the purchase price of some.
    Everything is in it's right place....Everything is in it's right place...Everything.......AHHHHHHHHHHH!

15. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

Mostly this.

As mentioned, I separate records into piles*. I keep a rolling "new arrivals" section that is basically the "to be cleaned pile".
    Used records are cleaned before the first play.
    New records are a crap shoot. Sometimes they get cleaned, sometimes not.

Once cleaned and put in a new inner, they can be filed.

If a previously cleaned record needs another cleaning, it goes back into the new arrivals/to be cleaned pile.

* - Piles are vertically stacked so no need to go all :yikes: unless you want to.

SandAndGlass and hi_watt like this.
  16. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I haven’t seen any of that yet in the 6 or 7 years I’ve been doing it. Were you applying to an outer sleeve? Anyway, if they fall off after 5 years, it’s probably time for another cleaning anyway.

17. DPM

DPM Senior Member

For the most part. If it's been on for awhile it can leave behind some residue upon removal. But that can be removed by just lightly reapplying the tape to the sticky area and then removing it again to lift off said residue.

As for the actual cleaning of my records, all LP purchases--both used and new--get washed before gracing my turntable. I do not put them in new inner sleeves until they've been through the machine.

18. neut6o1

Ahh ok, and it doesn't smear?

19. neut6o1

I have had records that look completely clean, but when I play them, they have issues that are solved with a cleaning.

20. neut6o1

Haha, I can get into bookkeeping like this. But it is sometimes really annoying trying to match matrices on discogs. I definitely get frustrated since it isn't a super straightforward process. Especially if none of the given matrices match mine exactly.

21. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

It
    does not

22. David A.

David A. Forum Resident

I have no idea what that all means. LOL

Kyhl likes this.
  23. neut6o1

Matrices is the plural of matrix. The runout of a record has matrices etched into it like "19072 IA R1-26316". Often the only way you can match up with a specific pressing is by looking at the Matrix/Runout section of the pressings in discogs.com. I often can't match the matrix for my record.

jsr likes this.
  24. neut6o1

Very nice.

25. Sluggs

Sluggs Well-Known Member

On a related note: I clean my vinyl with a spin clean... however each time I put a record on my turntable I also give it a quick one over with a static brush and a cloth with some disc washer... this last act unfailingly ends up leaving a dust bunny on my stylus at some point during the record play... any ideas??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.