Least favourite Beatles 1964 song (Round 7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Haristar, Oct 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

Every Little Thing and I'll Cry Instead

DQ: I Call Your Name by Billy J. Kramer & the Dakotas. Not as good as the Beatles since it doesn't have John on vocals, but it does actually rock a bit!

Haristar likes this.
  2. jockomac

jockomac Forum Resident

3. mrbobdobalina

mrbobdobalina Forum Resident

Wow, more people are voting to remove "What You're Doing" than are voting to remove "Baby's In Black". I'm sorry, but that's just wrong.

Longers, linclink and PineappleJuice like this.
  4. halfjapanese

halfjapanese Gifs moider!

DQ: Tom Jones performing She's A Woman at A Concert for Linda.

5. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Favourite covers:
    "You Can't Do That" - Vanilla Fudge
    "Every Little Thing" - Yes

And, as last time, I'll try to squeeze in some Reggae with "I'll Be Back", as "You'll Never Know", by Errol Dunkley & The Gaytones, from 1972:

If you want some Dub here's the B-side "version": Errol Dunkley You'll Never Know version - Gay Feet

Also check out The Paragons earlier (and more well known) recording, called "I Want To Go Back" (Jamaicans liked to re-name their covers): The Paragons - I Want To Go Back
    The above is the original Rock Steady recording from 1967, here is also a later and heavier Reggae re-recording from 1981: The Paragons - I`ll Be Back

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
    halfjapanese likes this.
  6. slinkyfarm

slinkyfarm Forum Resident

"What You're Doing" was one of my picks. I thought it was a bit of a misfire. Like "What Goes On", the music didn't really match the lyrics. I'd still turn it up if I heard it on the radio, though.

7. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

I'm of the opinion that had many on here grew up listening to I Call Your Name and You Can't Do That as part of the Capitol Beatles Second Album or I'll Be Back with Capitol's Beatles 65 or even had it been part of Beatles For Sale, they would not receive many negative votes.

I voted against Every Little Thing and If I Fell

8. PRW94

PRW94 Forum Resident

I'm bowing out. I'm the oddball who prefers the music of the Beatles from this era to the music of 1967-69 -- not that the music of 1967-69 is bad, mind you ... and I actually think 1964 was a great year for them, and it's irrelevant to me that they recorded a lot of cover versions. I'll be looking to see what happens but I simply cannot in good conscience pick anything else from this list.

And I like the Mamas and the Papas' cover of I Call Your Name even though it's kind of out there instrumentally, because Cass sang the absolute dog caca out of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.