Audio Note Kit DAC 2.1 Build

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DyersEve726, Oct 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DyersEve726

DyersEve726 Schmo Diggy Thread Starter

I'm finding the quiet passages to be way more moving than I'm used to. Well recorded piano is just giving me chills.

Salectric, SandAndGlass and Ulises like this.
  2. DyersEve726

I need to eat dinner, but I can't even pull myself away, lol. Damnit, I want to be mad at Brian, but I can't help feeling now that it was money well spent.

Encore, Slimwhit33 and SandAndGlass like this.
  3. fully_articulated

fully_articulated Forum Resident

And isn't that the true shame of it all? You shouldn't have to have those conflicting feelings.

A little more care with shipping the parts, a little more care taken with keeping the manuals up to date, and this whole thread would have been fundamentally different, and for the better.

Slimwhit33 and DyersEve726 like this.
  4. DyersEve726

Indeed. I sent him a follow up email to say kudos on the actual finished product and a more friendly note than before that I'd be happy to tell him all of the troubles I had following the documentation and maybe get some things fixed.

Slimwhit33 likes this.
  5. DyersEve726

Looks like he's open to the idea.

Slimwhit33 and SandAndGlass like this.
  6. RiCat

RiCat Forum Resident

Ah the joys of digital. I agree one of the most enjoyable and obvious (to me anyway) differences is the apparent total silence except for the music. I suspect this contributes to the openness and sound stage image. I have some performances such as Arne Domnerus-Jazz at the Pawnshop that put the listener in the audience. BTW if you have not heard this recording and like Jazz give a listen. For me it is one of the finest live recordings ever and the musicians are both excellent and in top form. One of mine and my wife's favorites is to put this performance on, light a few candles, open a bottle and sit back while feeling we are there center of the room about 12 feet back from the stage. GRTZ on getting to the music.

SirMarc and DyersEve726 like this.
  7. DyersEve726

I enjoy a little jazz, but haven't taken a deep dive. I'll check it out and fire up the lava lamp, haha.

SirMarc and SandAndGlass like this.
  8. DyersEve726

I'm still trying to eat dinner here. I was determined to finish my shortlist of favorite songs I've added since I got Roon and saw only three songs left and was like "cool". My last two were a 20 minute piano and orchestra concerto and a 12 minute Steven Wilson song. I feel like I'm in a time warp.

SirMarc likes this.
  9. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I've got a couple for you- wolfert brederode trio, black ice on ecm- spare, modern jazz;
    and nate morgan journey into nigritia, on nimbus west- spiritual jazz by a great, great player. both have stunning piano parts that will enable you to hear into the midrange and get the body and tonal decay of the instrument. both are well recorded and readily available. (the vinyl LP of the nate morgan was reissued and is long gone, the original pressing is now serious money).

10. marka

marka Forum Resident

Thanks for a great thread on your experience. I discovered the thread a few hours ago, and have been mesmerized.

DyersEve726 and SandAndGlass like this.
  11. DyersEve726

I'm really enjoying the piano on the first one you suggested, but I'm having trouble coming to terms with the seriously off time drums in that first song. Someone get that man some Ritalin!
    Glad I could entertain you :cool:

marka likes this.
  12. marka

marka Forum Resident

It was like a book - I felt the pain, the joy, the setback, etc.. Fortunately I didn’t have to wait the many weeks for the next chapter to unfold.

Enjoy the music!

13. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Try “At Home” by Tord Gustavsen Trio on the album Being There, also on ECM.

14. DyersEve726

I can't deny what I'm hearing. This is a game changer more than any other component I've added since I went from Polk monitors to KEF. Now I can't wait to tube roll! Look at me go.

Kyhl, SirMarc, marka and 1 other person like this.
  15. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

NOS DACs can do some things very special. When done right it somehow works very well. I haven't been able to try a NOS DAC of the style that Audio Note and ANK do. It's a different sort of NOS than others. Now I'm curious. I've heard some NOS DACs I like and some I don't. Implementation matters.

DyersEve726 likes this.
  16. DyersEve726

What I'm really noticing is the electric guitar distorts in such a convincing way that I've thought my speakers were blown for real a couple times during Wish You Were Here. It's such a realistic overdrive sound that my speakers sound overdriven. Crazy!

17. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

Glad you stuck with it and succeeded! Enjoy the fruits of your labor and in your wine glass!

DyersEve726 likes this.
  18. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I love a story with a happy ending.

DyersEve726 likes this.
  19. DyersEve726

Praise the Lord for Pink Floyd :edthumbs: I'm in another world at the moment, enjoying the production value on a whole new level. This visceral reaction I'm having to the music is unlike anything I've ever experienced. Sorry to gush. My jaw is just on the floor :yikes:

Slimwhit33 likes this.
  20. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Great thread

21. fully_articulated

fully_articulated Forum Resident

I can't really tell, but I think he likes it.

22. DyersEve726

I've said "oh my god" so many times tonight, anybody listening in would get the wrong idea.

timind likes this.
  23. DyersEve726

Here's this for an endorsement: The Wall just went from probably #5 on my list of Floyd albums (big fan obviously) to number #1 somehow. I always skipped over most everything but the hits, and gave a go at listening to the whole thing recently, but couldn't do it. This DAC has made me enjoy music I couldn't enjoy before. There is something very special happening. No regrets anymore.

24. RiCat

RiCat Forum Resident

Funny you mentioned Floyd. I listened to Wish You Were Here yesterday. Had not in months though it is one of my fav. Floyds'. I think later today will be 'Wall' day.

25. DyersEve726

Tonight was one of the most incredible experiences I've ever had. I listened from about 4pm to 2am and didn't want to stop. It just kept getting better. I sat alone on the couch ALL day and I somehow feel like I made memories. The journey feels over *phew*

Goodnight

Slimwhit33, JMAC, SirMarc and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.