50th Anniversary all things Beatles White Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tinnox, Feb 8, 2018.

1. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

And especially Pete Best.

tinnox and Ringo Hendrix like this.
  2. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

[​IMG]

3. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

After reading this article any ideas why the Beatles chose a different recording process for TWA? Was it just to try something new?

And was this “new approach” really all that different from their previous work as this author states?

I mean didn’t they record basic tracks live for most of their albums before adding overdubs?

tinnox likes this.
  4. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

I think the White Album was different because they recorded the tracks before adding overdubs if they felt it necessary. The previous albums probably had their overdubs planned out carefully. However, I don't know if that actually was the case. I didn't write the review. My editor/friend Michael Fremer did.

tinnox, alx7 and Monasmee like this.
  5. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Makes me wonder what their motivation was to try something so open-ended by comparison?

tinnox likes this.
  6. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

Now I want to hear the mixes that were rejected :shh:

7. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

Me too. They can't be terrible, but they apparently didn't satisfy the surviving Beatles/their estates and/or UMe.

8. Take 2:

...perhaps the most amazing [thing]...is that this thread will catch up to the page count of the Classical Music Appreciation thread, which covers roughly 600 years of music, compared to TWA's 6 months.

I say this as a mere observation, not an indictment, neither good nor bad. Perhaps in 250 years, the Beatles will be considered "classical," while today's classical music will be considered, well...maybe quite baroque.

Never mind. Our individual priorities are in perfect lines. :)

9. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

You don't HAVE to answer. And I did read 3 pages back before asking ask I mentioned before. Also it takes roughly 2 seconds to answer.

10. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

I found myself agreeing with the bulk of what you say here. What I found particularly odd was that a show championing new mixes from WA50 was still using original mixes of songs that are readily available on YSS, Pepper 50 and 1+. "Hey Bulldog" was particularly jarring. I don't think I've listened to that mix since before '99. Horses for courses I suppose

daveidmarx, tinnox and Sean Murdock like this.
  11. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

How many other Walking Dead fans are here?

12. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I believe this was a progression from Pepper, where they did a lot of rehearsing in the studio, multiple versions of songs, experimenting, etc. They were just beginning to explore the freedom they had, and on the White Album they pushed that freedom much farther. They were in total control now. The album is more expansive in every way so it makes sense that this expansiveness would manifest in the way they used the studio.

13. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

[​IMG]
    Apple Corps Ltd ~ "A is for Apple" Early Promotional Poster.

14. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

15. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

Excellent Mal! :)

Mal and tinnox like this.
  16. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

17. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

When this album came out it had just turned four, but being a member of this esteemed forum and getting on the 50-years-Peppers/50-years White-Album train gives me some sort of impression how it must have been 50 years ago....
    Just 'last year' they made Peppers, a few months later they went to an Indian guru, Epstein died, they made a tv-movie for christmas that flopped a bit, but the soundtrack was fine and 'this year' they went to India to visit that Indian guru, John is deeply involved with Yoko Ono, Paul and Jane have split up, they founded Apple, their hair is even longer, the Yellow Submarine film is out and a double album is coming up!

In the last twenty years I've become accustomed with artist releasing an album every four of five years (if ever), but in the '60s (just like the Beach Boys or the Stones) it was at least an album a year and with these changes going on it must have been like getting a status report from your favourite band! How's John sounding these days? Is George still making Indian music? These guys were living in a glass house at that time, never a dull moment!

18. DaK

DaK Forum Resident

I was just wondering if the 4 LP version needed a little push promotionwise...because the CD super deluxe offers the book and stuff there was no real need to buy the 4LP limited edition. If someone wanted the vinyl edition of the remix he could just wait for the 2LP version to drop in price...

alx7, tinnox and alexpop like this.
  19. Norman garriock

Norman garriock Forum Resident

Realising that the 4 LP set is limited edition, half-speed mastered and Optimal pressed has made my mind up for me on that one.

alx7 and tinnox like this.
  20. voles

voles Forum Lurker

Yes I was 20, sorry if that wasn't clear. When I was in my early teens, an album was a huge purchase requiring me to save up over several weeks. Even at 20 I didn't buy both versions at once and I expect I was surprised as you were, that they were different.

I don't remember any word at the time that the two versions were different but I was occasionally surprised by elements described in reviews that I didn't recognise, like the aforementioned blisters.

Therefore I don't think that they made the mono different to 'encourage more sales' but simply because they could and puzzles, jokes and mysteries were the vogue. These were the days when they didn't even put released singles on albums, let alone try to persuade people to buy two albums.

All the best.

21. voles

voles Forum Lurker

That is interesting... I remember that he was talking specifically about Sympathy for the Devil and alleged different percussion elements in particular...

This thread thought there were two distinct versions.

'The stereo mix is excellent, no one can deny that. It's just that the mono mix is very intense. It assaults you as much as you listening to it. Very powerful.'

Were they all delusional?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  22. voles

voles Forum Lurker

...or Bruicide?

NumberEight, hoggydoggy and tinnox like this.
  23. voles

voles Forum Lurker

Wouldn't there need to be a lot of spectral splitting to achieve a satisfying result or was that already done for Rock Band?

tinnox likes this.
  24. voles

voles Forum Lurker

Just do a search for Beatles Radio Shows.

tinnox likes this.
  25. voles

voles Forum Lurker

Yes it is strange that there is no video content on the Blu-Ray - like relevant excerpts from the David Frost show for example...

fogalu, tinnox and Yovra like this.