Is Giles Martin helping or hurting The Beatles?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Christian Hill, Nov 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

They were. John's solo on Long Tall Sally fades in right at the end, demonstarting it was an engineer issue not John's amp. And John's guitar on She's a Woman, I Want to Hold Your Hand, A Hard Day's Night is way too quiet. On She's a Woman we hear more of John's guitar via the mic in front of George's amp than we do direct from John's guitar amp mic.

Jose Jones likes this.
  2. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

Haven't heard the WA remix but I liked the SP remix, sorta a different take on a classic.
    BUT, I wouldn't want to be without the original.

3. PRW94

PRW94 Forum Resident

For what it's worth, Sir Richard Starkey told Rolling Stone he loves what Giles did with the White Album. :)

4. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Sure. How about you stop posting nonsense and do us all a favor.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    bherbert likes this.
  5. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind Thread Starter

heed your own advice

hallucalation likes this.
  6. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Not likely Spank.

I don’t why I even bother. It was a foolish idea for a thread anyway

7. Christian Hill

Giving advice advice it much easier than heeding it apparently:rolleyes:

Gila likes this.
  8. jmczaja

jmczaja Forum Resident

You'd think Giles turned the WA into an LCD Soundsystem album by the responses. It still sounds like the WA to me but mixed better (oh my).

9. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

Negative opinion are nonsense now? Especially with detail analysis how remixing was done? Continue to live in your ignorant world

Cronverc likes this.
  10. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

I think he's having zero impact on The Beatles. The legacy is set. The remixes are an excuse to issue Super Deluxe boxes for fans with session material and if that's what it takes — so be it.

The originals (mono and stereo) are still there.

mr.datsun and boggs like this.
  11. dartira

dartira rise and shine like a far out superstar

Although I quite enjoy the remix for what it is and I don't really like the general contentiousness in this thread,
    I have to say that @hallucalation does make some valid points in his earlier analysis, IMO.
    Two examples of stereoization and untasteful panning are the main guitar in Dear Prudence (you can hear it collapsing into mono here and there, as it's not a very good double tracking simulation) and the strings in Glass Onion, which are panned almost hard left and are way too loud in the mix.
    There are good ideas here, but some just aren't done very well.
    Personally, I think these Beatles remixes should be the very best, cutting edge, and they aren't.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  12. Christian Hill

"And when I have to go, you can scream on your own.".............Ringo Starr

13. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

It ain't millennials who are buying this at my shop. It's the same over 50 crowd who are buying this stuff over and over again.

14. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

...aaaaannd...I'm bored again. :sigh:

15. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

His remixes are great and so are the original mixes. It is a great time to be alive. If you don't like the new mixes, don't buy them. If makes you feel better about yourself to gripe about them on-line, I feel sorry for you.

16. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

I couldn't vote because at first, he was helping The Beatles, then he switched to hurting their sound (Pepper, 1+), and now he's back to doing a great job (White album other than the dropouts on the mono blu-ray).

boggs likes this.
  17. bettsaj

bettsaj “I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing.”

Yes totally agree....... And don't forget the Goons.... Would love to hear them in 5.1 surround :laugh:

goodiesguy, nikh33 and gogators1 like this.
  18. Lownote30

You feel sorry for people who have opinions? I doubt it makes anyone feel better when they express that they don't like the remixes Giles has done. It's just their opinion, and they're probably more disappointed that the remixes don't float their boat.

mr.datsun and Gila like this.
  19. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

The great irony here is that the liner notes take pains to correct the long-standing belief that the WA is more of a collection of solo material than a true band effort by going on about how they were jamming and recording the tracks together.......and then the mixing makes it sound like everyone recorded their parts in a separate studio which were then combined digitally 50 years later. There is no air in the room at all, no overlap in the instruments, no real "Abbey Road sound" any more. Clean and nearly generic sounding now.

Giles may be 'helping' by raising awareness of some things and keeping half-century old recordings in the public eye via these remixes, but only time will tell what the future holds. Everyone says that, "the original mixes are still available" but how long that will be the case remains to be seen. Sir George Martin certainly didn't want the original Rubber Soul or Help! mixes to remain in print after 1987. The entire band and their record company didn't care to keep the sacred MONO mixes in print for many years.

Streaming services always seem to gravitate to the latest releases, at the expense of the old ones.

20. SKBubba

SKBubba Forum Resident

If you haven't already, see the Cirque de Soleil Love performance at the Mirage in Las Vegas. For me, it was a mind altering experience. It's worth the price of admission just for the incredible sound production. Best system I've ever heard.

Further likes this.
  21. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I actually will be out in Vegas to see Gaga during her residency, and I intend to check out "Love" while I'm there! :)

22. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

Yes, I feel sorry that they need to take the time to complain about something that nobody made them buy.

23. Lownote30

Well, they bought it and were disappointed. I feel sorry for them in that way. No one makes anyone buy anything (mostly). You buy things like this with high hopes. If you're let down, it kinda sucks.

boggs and Pete Puma like this.
  24. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

For me, for something this expensive for a box set I always like to preview the tracks via streaming before I buy them. I have never seen the point in pre-ordering something that I may end up not liking, so this way it guarantees my money always goes to something I will treasure

25. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

Yes, it’s the wrong question to ask, because the remix would have to be passed by the two surviving members, and the two estates. They have final say, not Giles Martin.

Lownote30 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.