Help Me Identify Issue

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dreams266, Nov 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 62vauxhall

62vauxhall Forum Resident

In your third post you wrote:

A magnifying glass is not much good for checking a stylus.

Before shipping off your arm, take the stylus someplace where it can be checked under a microscope.

A new stylus that I received once had an excessive amount of glue used to seat the tip. Consequently, the stylus was prevented from fully penetrating the groove. Enough of the stylus entered so sound was reproduced but it was reminiscent of a cheap transistor radio.

2. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Like several above I'm betting the cartridge is wired out of phase, which is easily checked with a volt-ohmmeter if a mono LP is not available. And if it is it can be fixed for $0.

3. Dreams266

Dreams266 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Bad news for me. Paid to get tonearm totally rewired and it didnt fix it. It has to be the cartridge. Seller of cartridge in UK is not going to hear what i do unless they hear it on a record that makes the problem audible. Nightmare wont end

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  4. Dreams266

I checked tonearm to make sure nothing is impeding free movement, anti skate, vtf. It has to be the Goldring 1042. This cartridge rocks but they are very prone to problems in my experience. I

5. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Did you ever find a real (ie 1950s) mono record to try? Stop by a thrift store and get one. Play it and report back.

6. Dreams266

I will try it with a mono 1950's record but I know it sounds fine with simple recordings already

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.