Removing Cigarette Smoke Smell From Album Covers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by 56GoldTop, Nov 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

You could always start smoking - that way it wouldn't be an issue.

[​IMG]

2. MisterNines

MisterNines American

I once had some stage clothes hanging on a rod in a tour bus shower.

The drain belched up some foul smells and marinated my wardrobe.

I hung one outfit out of my hotel window overnight in 30 degree brisk wind. My outfit flew like a flag.

In the morning I retrieved my clothes – they were very cold, but still stunk – so I burned incense under them.

I wore the outfit that night. My clothes smelled sweet, with lingering undertones of funk.

The bus company dry cleaned all my clothes – no more smell.

That’s what made me ask if anyone ever took a box of album covers to the Dry Cleaners.

Wet cleaning off the nicotine and dirt sounds promising – but only for laminated covers. Most of my old albums are American.

3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I'm a non-smoker who can smell the smoke a mile away, and it triggers my asthma. However, I do recognize that some smokers are thoughtful. They may not realize just how intense the smoke and smell are, but some do try. Some other smokers are probably so used to it that they really cannot smell it. But...

...that is not what this thread is about. That is a topic for another thread. Someone should start one. :agree:

I'm interested in this topic because there are times when many of us must deal with items that reek of tobacco smoke, and would like to read about solutions for getting rid of it.

For me, I don't what is worse: tobacco smoke, or the smell of fabric softener sheets. They both have chemicals that affect my allergies and asthma.

lightbulb and The Pinhead like this.
  4. Grant

:rolleyes: Then you would have to deal with your health and affecting those around you, not to mention all the money you will throw away on your addiction.

The Pinhead likes this.
  5. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

I found coffee beans to pull smell out rather well - and they smell good too for the time it takes.

lightbulb likes this.
  6. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I like coffee and would be reluctant to waste beans on getting rid of smoke smell. The smell will dissipate over time, but any staining will be permanent.

7. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

Well yeah, but you wouldn't notice how your album covers smell.

[​IMG]

ParloFax and NaturalD like this.
  8. Grant

You must be a smoker. What's more important? Your health, or some record album? I'm gonna vote for my health every time.

The Pinhead likes this.
  9. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

Hmm - tough question. Good thing I'm just pulling one's chain (not literally, of course).:righton:

SirMarc likes this.
  10. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

powdered zeolite

11. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

It seems to be very common among ex-smokers. Cut them a little slack, it's a tough habit to break and many (my wife included) are triggered by the smell years after quitting..........

12. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

Back on topic - you can try any number of ozone products, they work rather well. Just remember to use them safely. Ozone generators are used for removing odors from furniture, cars and entire rooms and buildings. You cannot occupy the space while this is happening. The good news is that it only takes a few hours after the treatment cycle for the remaining ozone molecules to break down into oxygen leaving no trace behind.

For those who may be considering the dry cleaning thoughts earlier in the thread, dry cleaning is only called "dry" because there is no water involved. A chemical solvent is used in dry cleaning which would likely destroy the album cover.

MisterNines and Dave like this.
  13. Subagent

Subagent down the rabbit hole, they argue over esoterica

The film left by cigarette smoke (commonly called 'nicotine') becomes increasingly more intractable as it builds up. I'm not sure that any treatment that leaves the film behind will succeed in removing the odor.

Heavy deposits on walls and ceilings, for instance, typically require a coat of Kilz or other stain cover before painting, as the film will bleed through most paints (at least the ones that I've tried). Which leads me to suggest checking the homeowner DIY forums to see if anyone has a solution that works for cleaning nicotine coated wallpaper-- a similarly vexing problem.

lightbulb likes this.
  14. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  15. Zensound

Zensound Forum Resident

Now that it's winter just set them outside over nite. The cold air seems to help release that smell.

16. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I have got cds that smell. I just take out the artwork and let it sit in the room for a few weeks. Usually most of smell goes away.

17. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Trisodium phosphate in solution is used by some professional cleaners to remove nicotine films on walls. I have no experience with that, but there are many articles around the web about it. A search for "trisodium phosphate nicotine stains" will bring up some articles and videos.

Subagent likes this.
  18. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

https://www.amazon.com/PDZ-Company-...d=1542752211&sr=8-3&keywords=zeolite+granules

I'd spread it finely in a tray then put the album cover on it spread more on top then gladwrap the tray and leave for a few days. I'm not sure I'd use this fine stuff inside the cover, in case you couldn't get it all out. I'd look for some zeolite closer to 1mm in diameter to put inside the covers.

Supposedly you can recharge zeolite by putting it in then sun or an oven.

https://www.amazon.com/Hydor-Professional-External-Canister-Zeolite (maybe easier to handle?)

lightbulb likes this.
  19. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident Thread Starter

Okay, I'm finally starting to see some results with this last batch of covers; but, it took all of the following:

1. wiping the cover down with Lysol wipes
    2. spreading out the covers in the garage in ambient temperatures ranging from 60 to 22 degrees Celsius (we had a cold spell)
    3. placing dryer sheets in the covers
    4. sealing up the albums in a cardboard box along with additional dryer sheets
    5. airing the covers out again in the garage
    6. sealing up the covers in a cardboard box after filling the box with Lysol (aerosol fumes)
    7. tossing the paper inner sleeves that were just not worth the hassle of trying to save

All told, this process has taken about two months. Some covers are just about good to bring inside. Some covers, by my estimation, may take another week or two.

ParloFax and MisterNines like this.
  20. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident Thread Starter

3/4's of the way there. Here's a small sample of some of the ones I've saved. I think I may have learned my lesson after all this...

[​IMG]

Arlo said, "Good job."

[​IMG]

21. MisterNines

MisterNines American

Smokey had great taste in music.

56GoldTop likes this.
  22. John Fontane

John Fontane Well-Known Member

i once bought a used guitar amp w/ tolex covering. didn't know the owner was a smoker. first i used clorox wipes, then i put a scented garbage bag over the amp. the odor improved a little by the next day. the bag smelled like smoke, so i used a new bag. more improvement. however, the power cord and inside of the amp still smelled like smoke. i sold it to Guitar Center a week later.

23. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

As the old saying goes: “Second hand smoke kills, just not fast enough”.

Just a joke folks...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.