Records that have gone down in price

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by seed_drill, Apr 4, 2023.

1. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I've noticed a bump on Gord vinyl but not by a lot.

2. Bigsweetc6

Bigsweetc6 Forum Resident

I disagree. If you’re talking about reissues, then yes, there are affordable options. But OG 90’s versions from these bands are extremely expensive and still going up.

eddiel likes this.
  3. The lyrics to Rumors though are universal and speak to everyone whether you're 16 or 66. There's a real appeal there. It's a really staggering document of relationships.

phillyal1 likes this.
  4. Even the reissues for SP went up. It's mad. I have a couple but missed a couple.
    An original mono Adore cost me $$ but I buy a lot less now overall so I didn't mind.

5. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Yeah odd that those two bands would be mentioned. I don't see prices going down. They do move depending on the seller but generally keeping their value.

In general, 90s releases are hot right now.

6. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

But my post had nothing to do with that, it had all to do with how younger people find out about old/older artist. As such, then records that may have not sold and where sitting around, have been getting scooped up, or a old artist get popular again.

7. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I remember about ten years ago Acoustic Sounds were selling this for nothing. It was like they couldn't give it away. Great sounding pressing.

TonyG likes this.
  8. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I was looking into selling my copies, and they have gone down - they were sky high in the early aughts.

9. Bigsweetc6

Bigsweetc6 Forum Resident

Which ones were you thinking about specifically?

10. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

Anything "bubblegum" -- all the albums by these artists are very uneven, and twenty-somethings don't care (unless someone makes a viral Tik-Tok to 'Chewy Chewy"). :)

11. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Wax Trax Records in Denver has $30 on used Fleetwood Mc Tusk LP. It'll sell.....don't ask me why.

12. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

Saw a bunch of Connie Francis' records in the free bin. Left them , but maybe I should have taken one ...

13. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

Phoebe Snow is another 'forgotten" artist whose records were in the free bin-- I have a few, they are uneven, but have a few good moments.

14. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

I can tell why — hipsters and clueless newbies. In any store around NYC, Fleetwood Mack “Rumors” LP priced around $25-30. I still remember 10–15 years ago the same record could've been easily found on flea market for $3 or sometimes at record store discount bin for $0.99.

15. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Clueless newbies.....saw tons at the huge Denver 2 day show...holding common worthless 1970's multi-million selling albums for $20+. Rumours was like finding pennies on the street.....you walked by unless shrinkwrapped with song stickers. I hate to think what NYC stores price used records out....captured audience. I guess all those cool shops in Greenwich Village are long gone....The Golden Disc was my favorite store in NYC, 6th and Bleeker if I remember, Downstairs at 42nd n 6th in the subway arcade second.

phillyal1, Chemguy and Cronverc like this.
  16. Haderondah

Haderondah Active Member

I very recently went shopping for used vinyl in NYC. I can confirm A) there really isn't any at your basic brick and mortar shop and what there is, is either things no one will ever want, commons definitely overpriced and walls of beautiful, highly desirable titles hopelessly overpriced in sad, depressing, unlistenable condition. In summary, picked clean to the bone. On the other hand, I got a pair of nice desirable records from a street vendor -- so I'd say, don't sleep on the street.

Cronverc likes this.
  17. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Typical all over. Great post. Anything good gets Discogs or Ebay'd....the "wall monsters" of the "show n tell" high priced records line the walls. Record shows have become wall of shame'd, and they rarely sell any of their overpriced albums staring at you. The days of great shops and shows are over unless you get in early with the dealers and hit the people who have no clue what they are selling. Trust me, these people do exist and smile holding their sales not knowing they got creamed. I got the Velvet Undergound original catalog near mint for $1o each as he said "thank you sir" as he laughed at 4 copies of sealed original "Thriller" albums thrilled him for $10 each. He told one guy holding a Mint minus first Sam Cooke and Roy Orbison album at $10 each (his 2 tables were $10 each) "I think I might have more tomorrow". The laughter was endless. One guy had the Ramones catalog and the guy said "I think I've herd of them".

phillyal1 likes this.
  18. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Ah, NYC caught up to London, England then. lol

Sad state of affairs. I found the same thing was reflected at the latest WFMU show. Condition and price were mismatched often.

Locally, it's getting that way IMO.

19. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

What adds to the problem is that competition for stock is increasing. I know local dealers who are having to bid higher to secure the collection as there are multiple bids. This means the prices, for us, will be higher.

20. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

True, competition has increased prices. At the 2 day big Denver show I saw many people I've never seen before. The same usual suspects were there for decades. WFMU is not like the old days where dealers waited for records to hit the street to the dolly action before they even hit the door to load in. No need to with book plus prices and condition. Austin Show should be interesting.

eddiel likes this.
  21. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

You going to Austin? Report back if you do. I'm sort of interested in going but I keep receiving very mixed feedback.

22. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Might. Austin will be walls of shame & show n tell all over. I was there in the 90's where it was just amazing to buy. Obviously high prices all over in 2024 but the size of the place can produce fair prices if you look hard and beat the usual suspects 2 deep at table openings.

eddiel likes this.
  23. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

I re-listened to the Phoebe Snow records I owned -- they went out of my collection to a local used bookstore that also takes records in trade. Not my cup of tea anymore.