Magnum P.I. reboot in the works

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MikaelaArsenault, Jan 28, 2018.

1. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Disappointed but looking forward to the final 10 episodes.

boggs likes this.
  3. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Just watching the original Magnum on UK TV.
    I did watch some of it in the '80's but not all of it ..... probably lost interest after a few seasons and preferred other US shows such as Moonlighting L.A. LAW etc.
    But today is S8 E10 the 'Legend of the Lost Art'.
    A send up of 'Raiders' where Selleck was famously the lead choice for the role but contracted to this TV show.
    Obviously by S8 they were running out of ideas for the show and must have decided to do this episode based on the film.
    It makes me wonder if they had to pay some sort of fee for so blatantly copying the film ...... and whether it was Selleck's idea to do it?

4. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I watched it yesterday and my thoughts were it must have been Selleck's idea, no idea if they crossed any lines regarding IP and had to pay or get permission from Lucas Films, though I guess a leather jacket. Fedora and whip are all pretty generic and Donald P Bellisario also did "Tales Of The Gold Monkey" which is pretty firmly in Indiana Jones territory and starred Magnum's wife and friend Mac McReynolds. To be honest, it's a very weak episode.

Quadboy likes this.