Thoughts on the Marantz TT-15S1?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TheRavenPoe, Mar 26, 2017.

1. cyngus

cyngus Forum Resident

I’m running the Virtuoso with the VM95 ML and it’s time for either a stylus replacement or upgrade. Looking for some opinions.

First thought is to try the VM 540 ML but then wondering if the VMN50 ML would work with the Virtuoso cart?

Other comparable options?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2023
  2. occargeek

occargeek Well-Known Member

I think only the VM95 series can be used; but I could very well be wrong.
    How to change the needle on your Clearaudio MM for 30 euros

cyngus likes this.
  3. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

cyngus likes this.
  4. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

One way to find out would be to cut away the plug at the center of a 500 series out and see if it fits like the 95 plug, just use a worn out stylus to try it.
    I don't know either way but both types plug in very similarly so it is possible.

cyngus likes this.
  5. cyngus

cyngus Forum Resident

I'm under the impression the VMN50 ML will not work too, but can't find a definitive answer.
    @riverrat happen to have a spare lying around? ;)

6. cyngus

cyngus Forum Resident

I'm running the Musical Surroundings Phonomena II+ phono stage with the TT15S1

Any one compare or have experience with any of the following?
    Virtuoso with the AT-VM95 ML stylus (my current set up)
    AT-VM 540 ML
    AT-OC9XEB
    Other?

7. malotru007

malotru007 New Member

Hope I can benefit from the knowledge in this thread. My Marantz TT15S1 was bought in the US so it runs on 120V 60hz. It was in storage for 5 years. I moved to Italy permanently and brought it along. I read that I needed a step-down transformer and a different pulley size (a 50hz) and I would be good to go. However After buying the 50hz pulley, I noticed that it has the same exact diameter (44mm) than the one that came with my table (the 60Hz pulley)!!!??? (see attached image)

Of course when I play a vinyl, it spins too fast (chipmunk effect). Based on the hap +14%. I know that Marantz makes 2 pulleys:
    50Hz pulley (90M31BW262010, or SS-T15/032 from Jap s/m) and SS-T15/031 from Int. s/m 44mm
    60Hz pulley 37mm

So my questions are:
    Why did I got a 50Hz pulley from my table bought at MusicDirect in the US?
    The pulley size is the correct one for EU, why is it still off-speed?
    What do you suggest? would trying to add some tape, size to the existing pully to mak it bigger solve the issue? Thanks!!!!

imgur.com

imgur.com

8. dolsey01

dolsey01 Forum Resident

Contact Clearaudio directly since you are in Europe. I would just tell them you have an Emotion turntable since it's the same motor as the TT15.

PooreBoy and malotru007 like this.
  9. Thx1326

Thx1326 Active Member

Without knowing all of variables the motor of the TT-15S1 depends upon the frequency of the AC power to determine and regulate speed. Therefore, the motor (designed for 60Hz in the US) will run approximately 20% slower and therefore would require a larger pulley to maintain the correct speed. Using a VOLTAGE converter could actually cause damage to the motor over time. A frequency converter
    If you are using a step down transformer that steps down the voltage but does not change the frequency will result in the motor actually spinning faster.

When using a step-down transformer in Europe with your US model turntable, the motor will actually spin faster, not slower, resulting in faster playback of the audio.

• AC motors: They rely on the magnetic field generated by the alternating current to create torque and rotation. The frequency of the AC current determines how often the magnetic field changes direction, directly influencing the motor's synchronous speed.

• US vs. Europe: Your 60Hz turntable motor expects the magnetic field to reverse 60 times per second. In Europe, with 50Hz power, the field reverses only 50 times per second.

• Impact on speed: With fewer field reversals in a second, the motor completes its rotations faster, leading to increased RPM. This, in turn, makes the turntable spin faster and play audio at a higher pitch.

• Calculation: The increase in RPM is proportional to the frequency difference. Since 50Hz is 16.67% less than 60Hz, the motor spins 16.67% faster in Europe, explaining the faster audio playback.
    To correct this, you would also need a frequency converter or a combo step-down transformer which also converts the frequency from 60Hz to 50Hz. There could also be further negative consequences of continuing to run the motor at a different frequency than what is designed to see. Putting tape on the pulley to make it bigger would seem to be contradictory to the reason you would buy a turnt the speed able of this quality. And while the flexible belt and mass of the platter may help to minimize the speed fluctuations, this is not the solution. The best solution is to contact the manufacturer and see if you can purchase a European model motor designed to plug into their outlets and runs on 230v / 50Hz. If you are using the correct motor, then it may take the same pulley. If not, you will also need a "European" pulley.

Hope this helps.

mackeyse and malotru007 like this.
  10. Davey

Davey NP: Broadcast ~ The Noise Made by People (2000 LP)

I think you may be putting the belt around the wrong part of the pulley, the big diameter is for 45rpm, it should go around the smaller diameter for 33. The 60Hz synchronous motor on the US model will spin 17% slow on 50Hz in the EU. No idea why the two pulleys are the same, they should clearly be different sizes in the US and EU market if both use the same motor.

PooreBoy likes this.
  11. malotru007

malotru007 New Member

It certainly does :) Thank you for taking the time to write up that very detailed and clear explanation. I was hoping to stay away from buying a new motor as the converter and change of pulley was the cheapest option but I agree with you that I'm better off buying a new motor given the quality of the table and the price that they are now new or used...Knowing that the actual motor inside the pod is 15-20 bucks, I might try to DIY it myself. The actual replacement from Clearaudio would probably be around 350-400 euros from what I have gathered so far...

One last thing, if I understand correctly, if the two motors are different from the EU and US, it makes sense that they share the same size pulley, right? as you said, the frequency will adjust the rotation of the pulley.

When I put it on 33rpm it is very slow. Thx1326 explanation is the correct one.

US and EU do not use the same motor.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2024
  12. Davey

Davey NP: Broadcast ~ The Noise Made by People (2000 LP)

Yea, I know, that is what I said, it should be 17% slow if running a 60Hz US motor in Europe. You initially said it was running too fast, hence I said you probably had the belt on the wrong part of the pulley. But if they use a 50Hz motor in Europe, then that explains why the pulleys are the same size. In any case, good luck, hope you find a 50Hz motor or a correct pulley.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2024
    malotru007 likes this.
  13. Kevinj

Kevinj Active Member

I'm going to jump in on the motor part.
    I've read somewhere (I think it was this thread) that the motor used is of the SMR300-100 type. If I recall correctly, there is a capacitor connected in parallel to the motor itself, and the value of that capacitor is what makes the motor suited for 50 or 60Hz.

14. Kevinj

Kevinj Active Member

I've actually had fun reading through this thread over the past few days.
    My Marantz TT15 is 11 or 12 years old already, and still going strong. Except for one thing: the Virtuoso cartridge fell apart a few days ago. The metal body just fell out of the wooden top when the needle was lowered on a record using the arm lift.
    Anyway, nothing a few drops of superglue can't fix. But I also installed a new stylus while I had the cart off (still had a spare ATN95E).

But one thing I have not read here is that someone upgraded the bearing with the CMB ceramic magnetic bearing.
    Has no one tried that?
    I must say that it looks like a really nice upgrade, though an expensive one.

mackeyse and Boltman92124 like this.
  15. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

If the older 95e stylus fits the cart, the new 95ml should fit, possibly. The 95ml stylus fits on the older 95 bodies at least. Sounds excellent too! Nice potential option!

16. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

This is what I do. I have older Virtuoso and the stylus just snaps on. Easy peasy

with the newer ones it requires a little bit of surgery. Not sure how hard it is to pull off

Boltman92124 and Kevinj like this.
  17. Kevinj

Kevinj Active Member

Yes, those styli fit without a problem, just like the VM. Just that the ATN95E can be cut to make it look more aesthetical.
    The VMN95ML or SH are on my to try list, but I still have a few of the ATN95E styli in stock, so I'm going to use them first. They only last 400-500 hours anyway, where as the ML and SH can last +1000 hours.

Boltman92124 likes this.
  18. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

not the SH. Just the ML

19. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

No surgery for the ML onto the old 95. Snaps right on. Looks a little wonky but sounds fab. Have to adjust overhang a little.

20. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

You could also consider a RigB modified vm 95 or 540 body. Replaces the AT plastic housing with rigid alloy. Has threaded mounts.

21. Kevinj

Kevinj Active Member

Why would the SH not fit? Both AT-VMN95ML and AT-VMN95SH are built for the same cartridges. Or am I missing something?

22. warp2600

warp2600 Forum Addict

I think you misunderstood him. He was commenting longevity: only the ML stylus can last 1000 hours, not the SH.

Kevinj likes this.
  23. Kevinj

Kevinj Active Member

Oh yes, I see. Sorry for the confusion.
    So all VM95 styli fit the Virtuoso.

Anyway, when I was at the local hifi shop this week to ask their opinion on what to do with the Virtuoso that fell out of it's wooden body (superglue it back together), we also started talking about replacement styli, because they have all the VM95 series styli in stock.
    They attended the AT distributor's workshop a few weeks ago, and they said the ML is the best sounding and has the longest acclaimed lifespan. So they advised I'd buy the Microlinear if I wanted the best upgrade, even though the shibata is the more expensive one.

And for those that are interested in mounting any and all cartridges they want, Clearaudio offers the headshell plate that originally comes with the satisfy tone arm as a spare part. This is the part number I got from a very friendly CA rep: 19.075.B-SI

I'm going to order that anyway, and maybe the CMB-kit too. But I'd like to know if anyone has already fit that magnetic bearing to the Marantz

mackeyse and PooreBoy like this.