Good phono stages with digital out

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tbokris, Feb 4, 2023.

1. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Then get this McIntosh MP100 Phono Preamplifier .

2. Tbokris

Tbokris Forum Resident Thread Starter

3. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Puffin is the best bet, imo.

4. PineBark

PineBark formerly known as BackScratcher

Better still, get the McIntosh MP1100 Phono Preamplifier, for a mere $8000. It's even got tubes!

5. hagtech

hagtech Jim Hagerman

I used to make two phonostages that employed and ADC to USB output. Record straight to computer! Try look on Audiogon if anyone out there is selling a "RIPPER".

PineBark likes this.
  6. greebls

greebls Well-Known Member

lots of technical terms that i half understand and the other half i feel don't apply to my set up whatsoever, but i have a music hall pa2.2 that is great. a vinyl to digital transfer of a messiaen organ record i made recently was spot on imo. i am very happy with it.

7. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

8. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I have a Sugarcube, I don't think either of the two models that have phono pres output digital. The SC-2 has a USB out but that's to record directly to a USB drive.

WDeranged likes this.
  9. Pata

Pata Forum Resident

I use the Italian M2tech phonodac2.

just googled and it’s seems there is a new model “evo phonodac2”

10. shibata

shibata Well-Known Member

Been looking at this thread for awhile and finally decided to jump in.

I have 2 of these Pro-jects boxes. Bought one to replace and upgrade my Pro-ject Phono Box USB V after using it for about 4 years. It still works btw and did a good job at 16/48 wav.
    I bought my Phono box ds2 usb even after reading the reviews. There was a burn in period during which it improved noticeably after about 30 days always powered on, as it still is today some two years later. Perhaps the unit tested was new out of the box and not broken or burned in ? I liked it so much I bought a spare should it die or a lightning strike might take it out. Up to 24/192 or DSD out. Takes two turntables, all the adjustments to handle any cart you throw at it, (I'm using an AT20SLa) and most importantly a variable output gain. The MacIntosh does not have that. If it did I would have considered it.

There are still a couple out there in the wild.

11. Dennis h

Dennis h Well-Known Member

12. PineBark

That looks like a great product, and it should be for $2499. RME has a reputation for excellent professional-grade sound.

However, the device lacks RCA input jacks which near all turntable outputs would use. Input jacks are XLR and 1/4" TRS, so you'd need to use adapters or special cables to connect to it. (Is there anyone here whose turntable uses XLR or TRS outputs?)

13. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

Nice phono stage! I have had mine since 2018 and it just continues to sound good. I had it for a couple of years before I noticed it has a USB output. Not that I would ever use it or anything, but it surely has one.

greebls and chris8519 like this.
  14. john stein

john stein Well-Known Member

No offense but I think I would avoid going with the "all in one box". Asking for too many compromises. Think you would be better off getting a really good signal off cart from a good phono pre and then worrying about converting it to a digital signal.
    There are all sorts of units to do this with from 99 bucks for a Focusrite to 2600 bucks for a Pure2 A to D.

WDeranged likes this.
  15. PineBark

No offense, but what you're saying is equivalent to people who maintain that integrated amps are inherently inferior to separate components. It all depends on the specific products.

Unison, which makes the uPhono+, produces some very high quality phono stages that outclass a lot of lower cost options. I would not assume they're making "too many compromises."

16. Doc Sarvis

Doc Sarvis Forum Resident

I used to own the PS Audio Nuwave phono - it's discontinued now as noted above but it would have been exactly what you need. Maybe find a used one? It had some cool features: A mono swith (which every phono stage should have IMO), and decibel-by-decibel adjustable gain. It also had the unique ability to compare analog vs digital vinyl - I preferred the analog. I sold it becasue I don't do needle drops anymore, and while it was Ok as a phono stage, it wasn't world class.

To another poster's point: The best needle drops I ever did were with an old minidisc recorder that had a digital out. Vinyl to minidisc to files.

17. WDeranged

WDeranged Forum Resident

This is the way I'd go. Chances are that even if you break the bank on some crazy boutique all in one unit it won't match the sound quality of far cheaper separates.

18. john stein

john stein Well-Known Member

my thoughts too. Not sure there is one even available. And with some of the higher end converters a person can also add an outboard clock which helps with the focus and imaging clues.