Stanley Kubrick Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Sgt. Abbey Road, Mar 27, 2024.

1. Sgt. Abbey Road

Sgt. Abbey Road Forum Resident Thread Starter

I guess you all know that Stanley Kubrick is my favourite director of all time. That’s the reason why I wanted to start this thread. I still can remember watching „2001: A Space Odyssey“ for the first time at the age of 15. It wasn’t the first Kubrick film I watched, but it was the one that started my obsession with this genius. It’s still my favourite movie ever. Here’s my ranking of his films:

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey
    2. A Clockwork Orange
    3. Dr. Strangelove
    4. Barry Lyndon
    5. The Shining
    6. Paths Of Glory
    7. Full Metal Jacket
    8. Lolita
    9. Eyes Wide Shut
    10. Spartacus
    11. The Killing
    12. Killer‘s Kiss
    13. Fear And Desire
    I have to add that this ranking can change every day between #4 and #10. Moreover I want to add that this book is amazing and really shows why he became such an incredible director:
    [​IMG]
    Now I want to know your thoughts: What do you think about Stanley Kubrick? When did you watch the first movie by him and which film was that? What are your favourites by him? I’m really looking forward to your posts:)

2. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

You ranked 'The Killing' much too low.

3. Sgt. Abbey Road

It is a great film, no question. The problem is: Stanley Kubrick made so many masterpieces:laugh:

4. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I'm pretty sure I saw Spartacus first when I was a child. Naturally, I loved it. Gladiators! next up was Dr. Strangelove, always a subversive favorite. It wasn't until later that I caught up with his older material.

I think his Lolita is the one that gets short shrift, it's one of his best.

Old Rusty and Sgt. Abbey Road like this.
  5. Sgt. Abbey Road

„Lolita“ is incredible!

905 and unclefred like this.
  6. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Some of his movies are among my personal favorites. I go back and forth on The Shining, but at least it’s a well made movie with unforgettable performances and images. I was intrigued to learn recently that Harvey Keitel was fired from the part that Sydney Pollack played in Eyes Wide Shut after he told Kubrick they’d done enough takes of a particular scene. Keitel felt disrespected for his judgment of whether he’d given the best he could.
    I had interesting experiences the last time I saw Lolita and Clockwork Orange. I was completely immersed in Lolita and saw Humbert more as a victim and Quilty his tormenter and the villain of the piece. Brilliant performances by all including Shelley Winters. Clockwork Orange, OTOH, has not aged well at all. I was shocked at how cheap and cheesy the future was imagined, not in the sense that vandals had overrun the city but that everything simply looked crummy. Horrible sets and effects. My recollection is that Burgess didn’t like the adaptation and no wonder, most of the language he invented for the book is gone which was its strength. In its place a simple idea about the implications of conditioning behavior. I’m fully aware that most people, the OP included, disagree which is fine with me.
    My favorites in no particular order 2001 Barry Lyndon Paths of Glory Dr Strangelove The Killing Lolita.

KeninDC and Sgt. Abbey Road like this.
  7. Sgt. Abbey Road

I think Kubrick‘s „crummy“ vision of the future in „A Clockwork Orange“ still functions so well because the story is set to the happen in 1983, a year that’s already over 40 years in the past.

8. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

my top 6 in order

Paths of glory

Dr Strangelove

The shinning

Barry Lydon

eyes wide shut

Eyes wide shut is underrated IMHO

9. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Dr. Strangelove, 2001 A Space Odyssey, A Clockwork Orange and Full Metal Jacket are masterpieces. I like the Shining but prefer the novel. I need to see Eyes Wide Shut again to really give an opinion on it, I am hoping for a 4K UHD for my next watch. Barry Lyndon is great for insomnia. Lolita I don't really care for, the novel is one of the greatest things ever. Spartacus is OK, I guess, I need to watch it again, also. Haven't seen the others.

10. ATR

ATR Senior Member

1983 has nothing to do with how cheaply made and visually impoverished the film is. All the more surprising because it’s Kubrick, after all. Christ, it came out early 70’s, I remember seeing it when I was an undergrad. So only about 10 years into the future. No excuse then for even trying to make it look ‘futuristic’. And look how poorly it anticipates that near future in retrospect. Not to get this post or thread censored but it’s funny when you think about it…truly a MAGA vision of our cities, even then.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2024
    nutsfortubes and Sgt. Abbey Road like this.
  11. Sgt. Abbey Road

I happily agree to disagree with this opinion:laugh:

Kassonica likes this.
  12. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

^ :wtf:

most directors would give their 1st born to have a movie look as "visually impoverished" as that one :biglaugh:

13. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

2001: a space odyssey
    Dr. Strangelove, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
    Spartacus
    Eyes Wide Shut
    Full Metal Jacket
    The Shining
    Lolita

Sgt. Abbey Road likes this.
  14. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Out of the movies of his I've seen (seen most) I would say The Shining and Eyes Wide Shut are my least favorite.

The rest I enjoy but they are not what I would call emotional roller coasters. I did finally get to watch The Killing a few months ago and enjoyed it.

freddog and Sgt. Abbey Road like this.
  15. GeetarFreek

GeetarFreek Forum Resident

I can’t possibly rank them too many simply outstanding films that suit various moods

Dr Strangelove
    Paths of Glory
    Barry Lyndon
    Shining
    Clockwork Orange
    killing

all just great, great films

16. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Here's a very elementary question for Kubrickians -- IIRC, Kubrick re-edited his films for the TV format, anticipating that broadcasts and video would be how most people would see his films.

Now that people have the ability to re-create the original aspect ratios at home, are people watching the "correct" original versions?

17. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

original is best :wave:

18. Sgt. Abbey Road

I prefer the cinematic versions that were released on (4K) Blu-Ray, but I also got the „Stanley Kubrick Collection“ on DVD from the early 2000s to have the TV versions. You need both versions if you are a die-hard Kubrick fan, especially for „Barry Lyndon“:laugh:

BTW: This documentary is absolutely sensational:cool:

applebonkerz likes this.
  19. unclefred

[​IMG]

20. Sgt. Abbey Road

:laugh:

unclefred likes this.
  21. unclefred

Kubrick even foresaw that, he asked Wendy Carlos to compose the music for A Clockwork Orange.

JediJones and Sgt. Abbey Road like this.
  22. Sgt. Abbey Road

I haven’t seen „A.I.“ yet. How would you rate this film by Steven Spielberg in comparison to Stanley Kubrick‘s movies?

mcnpauls and unclefred like this.
  23. unclefred

it's very much Kubrick type material, the first and last act or so is very Spielberg. Kubrick's ideas for the film were less sentimental and of course darker.

24. Sgt. Abbey Road

Funny enough, that’s what Steven Spielberg said about the movie:

„And what's really funny about that is, all the parts of A.I. that people assume were Stanley's were mine. And all the parts of A.I. that people accuse me of sweetening and softening and sentimentalizing were all Stanley's. The teddy bear was Stanley's. The whole last 20 minutes of the movie was completely Stanley's. The whole first 35, 40 minutes of the film—all the stuff in the house—was word for word, from Stanley's screenplay. This was Stanley's vision.“

WalterBoyd, SRC, nutsfortubes and 2 others like this.
  25. mcnpauls

mcnpauls Forum Resident

My friend Ian Watson spent a year writing "A.I." with Kubrick in the early 90s and he always insists that Kubrick would have loved the film and it was remarkably faithful to Kubrick's vision for the project.