Best sub $30k turntable…

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Woger Warters, Aug 20, 2022.

1. Warrel Dane

Warrel Dane Forum Resident

Would you take an acoustic signature montana over an Avid Acutus Reference? Which would you chose? I think they are both over 30 but im curious to know the consensus.

2. Davey

Davey NP: Broadcast ~ The Noise Made by People (2000 LP)

Not a big fan of the looks of either one, may come down to the tonearm options, but probably go with the AS if those are the only options and not spending my money :)

[​IMG]

Frank Bisby and mkane77g like this.
  3. Warrel Dane

I think they are both lovely....they can each take any tonearm you want...just have to get different mount plates. Its actually really hard to decide. Id say the Avid would be easier to get in the US probably. There is a Montana on Audiogon now from poland for a good price. Id never risk that though...

4. nutsfortubes

nutsfortubes They tried to kill us, and we won!

5. mkane77g

mkane77g Happy Camper

Sota Cosmos looks less oil rig like

nutsfortubes likes this.
  6. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Avid. I know what it sounds like and it's made in UK. Not heard the Signature but looks aren't great. Actually in the flesh The Avid is quite unobtrusive. When I first heard the Avid (late 90s) it was around £6K but they added bigger and then dual power supplies as well as some mods. Still doesn't make it £30K worth.

7. 721SCline

721SCline Forum Resident

I don't have the Montana but I do have the next one down, the Typhoon NEO. I have two arms mounted, a Kuzma 4 point and a Glanz MH1200s. Very different tonearms. I really like the Typhoon, tons of flexibility, lively and dynamic while still rich and textured. It all depends on the arm and cartridge you choose. It's very reveling of differences. Mine has had rock solid speed control as well.

The typhoon gets you the three motor configuration of the Montana at about 60% of the price. I'm sure the Montana takes the Typhoon up a notch but the Typhoon is really good. When I bought the difference was $13k which I used for more Tonearm / Cartridge.

Hope that helps.

vinylvin and Warrel Dane like this.
  8. Simoon

Simoon Forum Resident

Yeah, but it looks like a cutting board, or an oversized cigar box.

As always, I am a 'form follows function' sort of a person.

And there is no reasons, from an engineering or from a sonic standpoint why a TT should have the age old look of a rectangular wood box. Get rid of all that extra resonant surface.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2024
    berndt and Warrel Dane like this.
  9. Warrel Dane

Soto is on my short list, but they dont seem to be best for multiple tonearms.

a SME 60 is 50k. I don’t think it’s worth that personally. I dont think it can be built with DIN to rca/ or DIN to ballanced?? I just bought a cartridge from Lyra that im not even gonna mount on my current table. So, im kinda chomping at the bit now for a 2nd table

I bet that acoustic sig is a badazz mofo

10. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I’ve owned the Acutus Ref SP for over 12 years absolutely trouble free. Never needs any adjustment.

Warrel Dane and Tullman like this.
  11. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Trouble free, says a lot. :thumbsup:

12. jeff kleinberg

jeff kleinberg Senior Member

13. mkane77g

mkane77g Happy Camper

Beauty is only skin deep.

14. mkane77g

mkane77g Happy Camper

No resonance issues I can hear but, my hearing is suspect.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Andy Saunders and Tlay like this.
  15. john stein

john stein Well-Known Member

yes, agree completely. Unless you have the cash to step into an OMA K3.

16. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

In the end, the distributor's mistake sending a Statement clamp was my gain. They sold it to me for the cost of the Innovation clamp, since they didn't want it returned once I had opened and used it.

17. Simoon

Simoon Forum Resident

Resonances are not only about what you can detect audibly, but what you might be missing.

A resonance may mask musical details, that may have otherwise been present with a less resonant alternative.

Also, just from an engineering standpoint, it is ALWAYS better to eliminate problems before they can manifest, than to mitigate them after they are present. It is quite possible, and probable that SOTA did an amazing job at eliminating the potential resonances that that wooden plinth could generate, but it is much better engineering practices, for the design and build, to not have them in the first place.

john stein likes this.
  18. Superhoops

Superhoops Well-Known Member

Great time to be buying a turntable; there’s more choice than there’s been in a long time.
    I have found Rega and Nottingham Analogue turntables are great sounding and great value for money. Linn LP12 is great too but not great value for money due to crazy price escalation. They’re very, very expensive for what they are and you can get as good or better sound from alternatives paying a third of the price of an LP12.

19. mkane77g

mkane77g Happy Camper

My guess is your just guessing

20. john stein

john stein Well-Known Member

yes, quite agree. Damping and controlling the resonant points is very key. Part of the reason the OMA table sounds the way it does.

Josquin des Prez likes this.
  21. mkane77g

mkane77g Happy Camper

Things Sota does very well.

effing A I’m a fanboy