Returning defective vinyl to uk

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by berndt, Mar 28, 2024.

1. berndt

berndt Forum Resident Thread Starter

Universal owns mercury kx records and a recent purchase from them had a pressing defect that they want me to return to get a replacement. I'm in the US. The record was manufactured in the Czech Republic. I am wondering what the correct code is for customs declaration in this regard. I have the original customs paperwork and receipt. I not griefing on Universal for their outstanding customer service, sic.

2. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

berndt likes this.
  3. berndt

Isn't there something as far as it being returned defective goods?

4. berndt

BTW, thank you so much for your prompt response and assistance.

5. joachim.ritter

joachim.ritter Senior Member

"vinyl record" and "return of goods" should be sufficient.

berndt likes this.
  6. berndt

US customs requires a code though at the post office, right?

7. joachim.ritter

If I ship a vinyl record from the EU (Germany) to the USA no code is required.

8. berndt

I am in the US returning a defective Lp to the UK. It was purchased online and shipped from the UK to the US now it needs to be returned to the UK to get a replacement. Thank you again for your support and participation.

9. RichardChaney

RichardChaney Member

Your situation sounds pretty awkward, but it's great that you have all the original paperwork and receipt. To find out the correct code for your customs declaration, your best bet is to contact your local customs office or consult a customs clearance professional. They will usually be able to provide accurate information based on the item's country of origin and country of delivery.

10. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Probably not. I haven't sent a record to the UK in a while but I've seen other threads elsewhere recently about this and the sender has to include an HS code on the customs form.

The US has very different rules and don't require a customs code so you can just use a general description.

11. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

You should be able to include that in the description. I wouldn't worry about it though. That's Universals problem and if they get charged VAT when it arrives, they can claim it back anyway. :)

12. joachim.ritter

I'm sending CDs and vinyl records to the UK all the time. Deutsche Post/DHL offer a field for the customs code but don't mind if you let it empty. The UK customs seems not to care either, all packages arrive without problems.

berndt likes this.