I was naughty with my Technics SL-1210MK5 turntable and cheap Shure cart today, they impressed me!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Mar 28, 2024.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

So I am having trouble with my VPI Avenger turntable. When the arm goes toward the LP off of its rest, the unit starts to get a low hum. It backs off toward the end of the record and is not there when the arm isn't near the platter. Obviously the motor and cart are reacting to each other and it's such an annoying low end hum that I just shut it off. Couldn't handle it today.

I wanted to play albums this afternoon so I tried to figure it out. Can't move the Avenger, too heavy and too delicate. I have a wonderful VPI Classic table that I could have moved in the spot where my current 78 RPM player sits, that being my Technics SL1210MK5 with the crucial KAB mod (double tap and it plays at 78 RPM for really old records which I have a lot of.)

I didn't want to unhook that and lug the VPI Classic in the spot because I play 78's almost every day and I need the Technics.

So, without really thinking about it, as if in a dream, I removed my green 78 RPM Shure stylus (precious, from the 1970's) out of the Technics and put the needle in there that came with the machine's cartridge, (a lowly Shure M44-7) with it's original cheapo stereo DJ conical tip cart. Must have cost all of 50 bucks on a good day.

Then, I just plugged the Technics right into to my Audio Note UK M9 phono preamp. $500.00 tuntable, $50.00 cartridge right int0 a really expensive (not sure how much these days but more than a fancy new car) phono preamp and let her rip.

Same album I've been playing earlier, "Bob Cooper COOP." on Contemporary vinyl. Got it for $8.00 from Tom Port/Better Records back in 2003.

So, it took me about 10 seconds to get used to a moving magnet sound again after so many months, years with moving coil and at first I felt something was missing and then a little "tick" went by and went way up there in the air department so, everything was working correctly.

And then Bob Cooper's sax came in on the left channel and I gasped, hit in the chest with the most lifelike sax sound I'd heard in years.

This was heaven for me. Without that extra "air" that MC carts give and we all love, I was left simply with what was actually on the tape and it was glorious.

I'm not kidding, I put Bill Evans Trio/Explorations on (another $8.00 Tom Port/Better Records OJC special) and Scott's bass was just so lifelike my jaw dropped.

Sigh, just when you think you know everything about this hobby, it turns out you might know nothing, nothing at all.

My girlfriend (now wife) when she worked with Abbey Fonn at Cisco Music back in the day ordered me every Shure stylus that was still made for an M44 cart and was still around back in the year 2000 and I'm going to try them all.

This is so darn cool.

I'm bettin' a lot of you have a Technics turntable. So glad I have one too!

IMG_3480.jpeg IMG_3481.jpeg IMG_3482.jpeg IMG_3483.jpeg IMG_3484.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 28, 2024
  2. Steve Hoffman

3. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

I had an Oracle Delphi iii for 20 years with a nice stable of mc cartridges and an Ayr phono section .Sold it all off...my wife made me keep my records(she's obviously smarter than me).So yep a year later i find some records can't be duplicated by digital and i buy a humble Project RPM3 Carbon ,Ortofon 2M black.I was shocked at the dynamics of the MM cartridge...pretty good at the other stuff too.Looking back i think MM cartridges have better dynamics..MC carts have their strengths but are perhaps a little polite?If the music likes a dynamic presentation MM is our friend.Just my experience/2 cents.

4. Steve Hoffman

Strong, authoritative playback sound is what I'm getting from this mix of Technics/Shure and AN UK. I'm bettin' a nice, inexpensive MM phono stage, carefully selected, would be wonderful.

5. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

In my experience, MMs have meat and color, but sometimes unnaturally so.

Inexpensive MCs can be polite, but the strength of MCs is being able to pull out the littlest of details, things that MMs will miss. GREAT MCs will do it all - quickness, slam, color, soundstage, you name it.

What are intriguing are moving irons, particularly the higher end ones, from Grado. The Sonata is a great cartridge, but the Master on up are truly amazing all-rounders, and Grado's reach out and touch midrange is only matched, in my experience, by Koetsus.

lsipes1965, 33na3rd and j.barleycorn like this.
  6. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

Love my 84' OJC Coop! and my Technics.
    After putting a nice SUT in the chain, I understand more of the MM love.
    But I think the SUT gives best of both cart worlds and MC gain switches don't always alter sound for the better.
    This is only valid until I learn more in this hobby.

33na3rd and Steve Hoffman like this.
  7. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

Agreed...i had a Sonata and it was a very "complete" cartridge.But i think the point here is an inexpensive MM cart might get the best parts of some recordings that benefit from it's particular strengths.

33na3rd and AnalogJ like this.
  8. Steve Hoffman

I've been ****ing around with this stuff ever since 1992 and I'm still learning and unlearning. Man, I learned something today, that's for sure (Shure).

9. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

I do remember KG talking in one of his interviews and when asked what cart he personally used, he responded very humbled with a Shure. Kind of mind blowing with the equipment at his fingertips too.

10. Steve Hoffman

Can't impress upon you West Coast Jazz lovers to get the 1980's-90's OJC vinyl version of Bob Cooper "Coop."

It's a flat analog cut from the stereo masters (confirmed by me) with NO echo added and it sounds wonderful. A gem in the OJC catalog for not much money.

And to think, Bob Cooper was bebopping June Christy at this same time. Heaven.

wellers73, 33na3rd, ubiknik and 6 others like this.
  11. jfine

jfine Forum Resident

:thumbsup:

12. Steve Hoffman

I just put on the CD of Supertramp’s “Breakfast In America “ and it sounds like dead dog s*** after an afternoon of records.

Dear Lord, I’m thinking in my mind if I possibly still have this on vinyl.

I’m becoming a vinyl dude. Say it ain’t so!

13. enchanterspop

enchanterspop Well-Known Member

Technics SL-1200GR has a 78 setting! Alas, I own none.

Lenny99, Troyh and ultron9 like this.
  14. Redd House

Redd House If she dont love me no more I know her sister will

What a kick in the pants! :cool:

15. fdsfd

fdsfd Forum Resident

So... can I have the VPI Avenger now that you're not using it? :kilroy:

BluTorch, AnalogJ, rcsrich and 5 others like this.
  16. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

The mofi was better than my old BG cut.
    Terrific album regardless!

Take the long way home

MGM likes this.
  17. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

Do you think it’s the expensive preamp that’s the common denominator?

18. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

1200 Mk5 with Nagoaka MP 110 and lowly me likes it pretty well

Mark Fritcher, robusa and arisinwind like this.
  19. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

Way back in the late 1970s, my dad and I bought our first decent sound gear, a Technics turntable with an Empire cart. They sounded great to both of us. I stupidly gave mine to my sister, whose husband destroyed the thing and I always regretted it. When my dad passed away a few years ago, I managed to get his old turntable and cart. I was amazed to find a local stereo shop that replaced the stylus. You know what? It still sounds great!

McLover, arisinwind and BDC like this.
  20. nabucho

nabucho Forum Resident

The shure M44-7 is a true legend.
    Out of the stereophile world, many people including me are seing it as the mother of the DJ Cards associated with the 1200 family of turntable. This card was able to support scratches in the hiphop realm and able in the same time to offer a strong/powerfull/warm sound in the techno/house/électro nightclubs. A card for pleasure, maybe not so much for analitiqual listening...
    This article published in 2014 on Resident Adviser put for me those sort of things in perspective and decided me to buy a pair. It was a good move because Shure interrupted the production a few years later.
    Industry standards: Shure M44-7 · Fonctionnalité ⟋ RA

Steve Hoffman and BGLeduc like this.
  21. Steve Hoffman

It couldn’t hurt. That being said, I’m going to try with a $1,000.00 phono stage today and see what happens.

22. Mitsuman

Mitsuman Diamond Tone Junkie

Welcome (back) to the Dark Side.

[​IMG]

23. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

Good stuff! Loved my SL-1200MkII for about a decade and now love my 1200GR even more. And, indeed, there are roads to musical/sonic nirvana other than the well-trodden MC path. :)

BDC and ultron9 like this.
  24. Suddenly This Overview

Suddenly This Overview Forum Resident

Can’t wait to hear your thoughts after you try the “G” stylus. That’s the one I like. Jico makes a replacement that’s a nude conical, which is fantastic!

Boltman92124 likes this.
  25. Steve Hoffman

Can you elaborate on what the G stylus is and why it's good?

I haven't been around Shure M44 stuff since my radio days in high school and college...