First scripted series to have an episode shot at Disneyland or Disney World?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vahan, Apr 25, 2024.

1. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident Thread Starter

Anybody know what it was? I want to say it was the Disneyland episode of Blossom, which aired on February 8, 1993, three months before the Full House 2-parter at Disney World (May 11 & 18, 1993).

2. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Well, Wiki says Disney owned ABC as early as '95, but the Blossom episode is in 1993. I'm skeptical though, there weren't shows before then that made it there before the company made it a thing. There was a Sunday night Disney program on NBC for a couple of decades, there must have been some cross-promotion involved there.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2024
    Vahan likes this.
  3. Dillydipper

You might ask this guy: Disney News
    The Disney people have always been pretty good with answering trivia for media folk.

In fact, I just emailed him myself, we might get an answer pretty soon.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2024
  4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Not quite what you want but check out the old Tony Curtis movie "40 Pounds Of Trouble." A lot of it shot inside Disneyland around 1961 or so. Everything else back then shot at the park was a Disney production so that stuff doesn't count!

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That is a great answer. I was gonna say That Thing You Do, but Steve beat me by 35 years...

Movies That Show Disneyland - Duchess of Disneyland

Let's not forget that I was in the November 1971 Grand Opening of Walt Disney World TV special shot in Orlando, in the 1,776-piece marching band conducted by Meredith Willson, marching down Main Street...

[​IMG]

I'm the 143rd guy from the top, 5th row. (No, I have no idea where I was. But I swear to god, I was there.)

6. indigovic

indigovic (Taylor’s Version)

The one in the white hat?

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think we wore our regular high school marching band uniforms, and the HATS were provided by Disney. That was a long, long, long shoot day, I think around September 1971. The special didn't air on NBC until around November or so.

forthlin likes this.
  8. Jayson Wall

Jayson Wall Forum Resident

If you consider the Disney Anthology show as “scripted”, then it would be episode #1 with “The Disneyland Story” from 10/27/1954. If you're not counting the construction footage, the opening day broadcast of Disneyland (Dateline Disneyland), which I restored from the UCLA 35mm Kinescope, that was technically “scripted”. The same goes for all the rest of the “B” roll episodes

....BUT the first time I know of a true scripted story based around Disneyland was in November of 1960, with Moochie Of Pop Warner Football on Walt Disney Presents. Part 2 of that episode was called “From Ticonderoga to Disneyland.”---I haven’t seen it in 15 years, so not 100% sure if the cast went to the park at the end of the episode or it was just “b” roll footage, but winning the game and going to Disneyland was a big part of the story. Of course, you could look at Disneyland After Dark and Golden Horseshoe Review, both from 1962 as true “scripted” content, but those were more one-off special episodes (which both were released in the UK in the theaters)

As for the movies, 1956’s People and Places short Disneyland USA was the first (Cinemascope), followed by Gala Day At Disneyland short subject in 1959—both in Technicolor. 40 Pounds of Trouble, from Universal-International, is the first feature AND the only film not produced by Walt Disney to be shot inside the park. Next time was in 1996 for That Thing You Do for a handful of shots.

forthlin and jbmcb like this.
  9. Jayson Wall

I should also add the Mickey Mouse Club from the 1950s into the mix---I haven't watched all 400+ episodes, but they would showcase the park during the Mouseketeer Newsreel from time to time. Again, "b" roll footage, but it has scripted narration---amazing, they never shot any scripted segments at the park with the Mouseketeers, outside of the song and dance in Dateline Disneyland.

As for WDW, there's the Grand Opening special from 1971....but perhaps the first true scripted story was Mouseketeers At Walt Disney World from 1977, but Welcome to the World from 1975 could be also considered..... very loosely.

forthlin likes this.
  10. Dillydipper

Well of course you were - if you weren't, we'd have seen the hole in the formation! :D
    (Sorry, just being...goofy)

11. MichaelH

MichaelH Forum Resident

I love that Full House episode, as well as the Boy Meets World and Step By Step ones. Don't remember the Blossom one at all.

12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Another guy was Goofy!

indigovic and MichaelH like this.
  13. Dillydipper

We are all Goofy.
    [​IMG]

MichaelH likes this.
  14. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

I can remember Disneyland being namedropped on shows in the 60s, but nothing in the park.

15. indigovic

indigovic (Taylor’s Version)

Then what are you wasting your time posting here for? Get to watchin’, and report back when you’re done! :D

forthlin and Jayson Wall like this.
  16. Jayson Wall

The 1,096-piece marching band footage was shot after the park opened over the weekend of October 23rd (the official dedication with Roy Disney was on the 25th) and was captured not only on video but also on 16mm and 35mm. This footage was planned to be used in the 1972 short “The Magic Of Walt Disney World”, but never made in---all this 16/35mm footage still survives today (I've seen a few reels of it, and it was more "staged" than the Disneyland opening, that's for sure). The footage in the special with Julie Andrews, Bob Hope, Jonathan Winters, and Glen Campell was shot the week of October 11th—Outside of flyover shots of the park, no footage for the special was shot before the grand opening on Friday, October 1, 1971.

The special aired on NBC on Friday, October 29th 1971.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2024
    forthlin likes this.
  17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I didn't see any film cameras -- I only saw Norelco PC-70s and PC-72's -- but it's possible they snuck a few in when I wasn't looking. We were told (multiple times) that this was a 1,776-piece marching band, and that's pretty vivid in my mind. The reference goes back to Music Man's song "76 Trombones" (in the big parade), so that's why they picked that number. They basically got the top 15-20 people from every high school in Florida to show up on buses and basically get a small per diem and free food for the day.We had rehearsed the two or three songs in our local towns, then rehearsed them again with Meredith Willson before the actual parade. The whole thing was a logistical nightmare, but it wound up looking & sounding OK on TV.

I also remember sneaking out to Main Street and getting an ice cream, and as I was walking back I bumped into Shirley MacLaine (who I'm not sure if she was even in the show), but she said, "hey, you guys were great!" A brush with celebrity...

I had also previously been to Walt Disney World a month before, because they had done a "soft opening" without a lot of publicity just to let small local crowds in as a test to make sure all the rides worked and so on. I think that was early September or so, over a month before the official "Grand Opening Day." And I was there when the place was under construction a year earlier, but that's another story. The surprise for me there was that Main Street was about 3 stories up, and there were two other floors below (underground), one for a staging area for the cast members, and one an industrial water / sewage / electrical conduit area to service the park. Quite an amazing place.

18. Jayson Wall

Opps, typo—I should’ve said 1,076 and not 1,096 as I originally wrote—Per the Disney park blog, and the records I had access to at the studio they called it 1,076——regardless, that’s a big ass band!!!!

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...turns-to-walt-disney-world-with-his-grandson/

I can say (without violating my NDA) there is a boatload of footage on the construction and opening of WDW in 35 and 16---about twice and much as Disneyland, with I ended up scanning in 4K . The binder logs I had in my office on the WDW footage was really amazing…..

Vidiot, BeatleJWOL and forthlin like this.