New Mobile Fidelity Frank Sinatra Gold CD's

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jamison1955, Sep 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

See post #94

2. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

3. cakeordeath

cakeordeath Forum Resident

4. So, what's this...

Attached Files:

• HUH.jpg
      HUH.jpg
      File size:
      22.3 KB
      Views:
  5. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Thank you for going the extra mile for us, Chris. I'm sure a lot of us appreciate it. This is great news!

And for the search engines I'm going to type Rob LoVerde with the correct spelling. It took me years to memorize how to spell his name and Joe Palmaccio. :)

6. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

That's the Capitol "Entertainer of the Century" issue from 2002, 24-bit remastered by Bob Norberg in 1999. This is the link to that image at CD Universe. Stay away from that one. ;)

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  7. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

This is all very interesting (about the packaging and etc.), but how does the thing SOUND????

L.

8. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

post 94 says

Slightly loud
    bass boosted
    hiss still there

9. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

Yes. I'm grateful for that little review and looking forward to hearing more impressions, opinions, and comparisons!

L.

10. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

What's the echo like on Frank's voice?

11. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Steve, please remind me, did the original 2 track have echo? If so, was it an acceptable amount?

12. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I don't much like the NICE/EASY album (not a "real" Sinatra album to me) so I haven't played it in years. The original two track had tons of echo on it. I mean, like he is singing at the bottom of a subway tunnel.

13. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Whatcha mean its not a real Sinatra album to ya?

The echo is my biggest problem with this album also. I am interested if this version has it.

Anybody?

14. Sean Keane

Sean Keane Pre-Mono record collector In Memoriam

Did Larry Walsh add even more echo?

15. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

I was at MFSL today and while buying Sailin Shoes they let me listen to Nice & Easy....sounded great. Got to have a little chat with Josh Bizar.

16. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

This morning I received a private message from forum GORT Gary, asking that I please get in touch with Josh Bizar at MOFI, as soon as possible, to correct some incorrect information that I was given yesterday. Please note that I asked Josh prior to posting on this forum about our conversation and he gave me the o.k. With that said, I would like to apologize to the forum that some of the info given to me was incorrect and BOTH, Josh and I want to set the record STRAIGHT. Here is the e-mail that Josh sent to me with the updated info...

Chris,

There were some inconsistencies in your original postings on the new Mobile Fidelity Frank Sinatra 24k Gold CD and Vinyl releases. Please let me clear up all of your questions:

1. Due to a contractual obligation with the record label, we had to agree to keep the artwork unchanged (except for the Original Master Recording across the front of the disc), there would be no numbering for these pressings, and the artwork on the CD itself was to remain identical to the last Capitol release instead of the look you have come to expect from Mobile Fidelity.

2. The mastering and sound quality of these releases is 100% our own. Using the actual Original Master Recordings which we were provided, our engineers spent a painstaking amount of time ensuring that these pressings would be the most accurate representations of what was recorded onto the original analog reels.

3. The first release is Nice ‘n’ Easy and has begun shipping. Many of you should already have it. The next release will be …Sings for Only the Lonely which will be shipping October. These two titles will also be released on LP and will become available as soon as RTI can get them pressed.

I hope this clears up any questions you have. Thank you.

Josh Bizar

Director of Sales and Marketing

318 N Laflin St

Chicago, IL 60607

312-738-5005 - Direct

(800) 449-8333

www.musicdirect.com

17. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

I know what you mean about not being a real Sinatra album, since it's essentially an album of older tunes. There is not much of a concept behind it. But I love my mono LP. There is a certain charm in his performances that is missing from a lot of the Reprise stuff recorded around the same time.

18. chrswlkrc

chrswlkrc New Member

I hope someone can post a few clips. I won't be able to listen to my copy for at least a week.

19. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Do you have the mono SINATRA'S SWINGIN' SESSION on Capitol? An amazing sounding mono mix. Years ahead of the weak stereo version that is on CD (and the old stereophonic LP). Now THAT is something that I would buy in a heartbeat...

Frank, Nelson and the A&R, engineering staff at Capitol at the absolute top of their game. Wonderful sounding mono record.

CBackley and MarkusGermany like this.
  20. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Ok, I've got a couple of non–sound-related questions.
    1. These CDs were originally advertised as "Numbered Limited Editions." That's what was stated on both the MoFi and Music Direct websites, and MD made a big deal on their product page that "pre-orders will receive the lowest numbers." So, WHAT HAPPENED TO THE NUMBERS?

Somewhere along the way, unnoticed by me, that wording was removed from both websites. Like a lemming, I chose to pay the $6 pre-order shipping charge because I thought I might be getting something special from a collector's standpoint. I could have just waited until last week to order and received my (half) shipment just as quickly. :(

2. Per Music Direct's website, the flat rate of $6.00 per shipment for pre-ordered items was to include no limit on the number of items shipped. I expected both titles to be available and to ship simultaneously. Since only half the order was filled, I certainly hope I'm not going to be hit with ANOTHER exorbitant $6 charge when Sings for Only the Lonely finally ships. Anyone know?
    P.S. It sounds wonderful. Best CD mastering I've ever heard of Nice 'n' Easy in stereo.

21. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

its certainly short enough for the cd to include both original mixes and a third new remix too!....barely 25 minutes long....

22. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

I have all the mono album LP's except for "...Swing with Me". :agree:

23. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

1. Bob, did you miss my post from a few moments ago, when Josh Bizar answered that question?

1. Due to a contractual obligation with the record label, we had to agree to keep the artwork unchanged (except for the Original Master Recording across the front of the disc), there would be no numbering for these pressings, and the artwork on the CD itself was to remain identical to the last Capitol release instead of the look you have come to expect from Mobile Fidelity.

Chris C

24. smokdogg

smokdogg Forum Resident

Respectfully disagree, Steve. Nice 'n' Easy is one of my favorites from the Capitol era and one of the few that sound superior in stereo. However, replacing the excellent title track with "The Nearness of You", as originally intended, retitling the album to reflect this, and moving the "Nice 'n' Easy" single to open the Sinatra Sings of Love and Things comp would have made a lot more musical sense.

25. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Yes, I did, Chris. It wasn't there when I started to type. :)

One other small correction to your report of yesterday: While Mobile Fidelity is not printed anywhere on the disc or sleeve, there is a gold-on-black folded cardboard insert inside which describes "The Ultimate Listening Experience" of Ultradisc II™ and "Setting the Audiophile Standard For Thirty Years" with a history blurb about MFSL. Also, of course, the MoFi catalog number UDCD 790 - STEREO is printed on the CD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.