What Exactly is Onkyo's "Pure Audio" Mode?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jordanb87, Feb 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Resistors, diodes, and capacitors can be had for cents. I think to design and produce a PCB is not a cost that is easily known. It is the circuit design, after all, that is the thing. Designs have to be implemented with the parts that are readily available during the production run. It often may be that a less expensive component, not in the signal path, may exhibit desirable characteristics in a particular circuit even though it may not be the highest grade available at the time.

2. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

If the onkyo is like my yamaha avr, then here is a block diagram of what "Pure Direct" is"
    [​IMG]

As you can see, Pure Direct is a 'mode' that allows for the connection and listening of 2-channel analog connected source components when you want to listen to them....as 2-channels - no DSP, no EQ, no funny ambient effects, and the signal path is maintained as analog throughout the avr.

It can also be used for digitally connected source components where again the path presumably bypasses 'extraneous' circuit components for a presumably more "pure" sound.

Ears on and decide for yourself....ymmv......

3. jordanb87

jordanb87 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thank you, Erik, that is very helpful!

PhilBiker likes this.
  4. Claude

Claude Senior Member

If this is indeed how the Onkyo works, the Pure Direct mode really makes sense. If it only bypasses the standard tone controls and shuts off the display, it's more of a placebo.

PhilBiker and Slick Willie like this.
  5. Erik Tracy

Sometimes a picture is the best way to convey a concept.

Glad to help.

As noted elswhere - this may NOT be the way EVERY avr works, but for many this is the design - which has ramifications that some people get confused over.

Like - when you use a TT with an avr and select Pure Direct, the sub shuts off.....because that is how Pure Direct was designed - not that there is a hidden function someplace that will turn it back on in Pure Direct.

It is sometimes maddening and frustrating to navigate the confusing morass of features on modern equipment - almost as if you need special training or a degree :p

PhilBiker likes this.
  6. Leroy Bad

Leroy Bad Forum Resident

The TX-8050 has both a Purd Mode and Direct Mode. I don't think "Pure Mode" is nessasary unless a video connection is engaged. If we're listening to just audio then Direct Mode is enough. But it not only bypasses Tone controls but also byasses any mixing to 2.1 for the subwoofer. I always thought these features were most useful for connecting to a device that has it's own DSP.

7. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

I think it was a PP-1. This stuff is dirt cheap from a components perspective, and certainly not magic, but yes 50 cents is an exageration. I've also heard that the PP1 is the same phono stage design going all the back to the 3020. Not to say it's bad (it's not), but a $15 phono stage would actually be damn impressive (to appear in a mid-tier integrated).

Again, the 8050 isn't an AVR. There's no DSP, no ambient effects, etc, to begin with.

PhilBiker likes this.
  8. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Right on, and a standard, basic, well-performing phono circuit isn't an expensive thing to do anymore. There's some fancy stuff out there getting in to the MC domain, but for a basic MM the one in the Onkyo is perfect.

(note, I actually replaced a Linn DSi with an 8050 last summer... while transitioning to my current tube-based rig. I was more than content and it frankly embarrased the Linn on value/performance).

PhilBiker likes this.
  9. Erik Tracy

Yup - my bad.:eek:

Disregard.....time for a stronger cup of coffee.

10. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

A fascinating study on audio consumer perspectives and assumptions, this thread.

GetHappy!! and PhilBiker like this.
  11. JakeLA

JakeLA Senior Member

I would suggest that in the future, the OP avoid starting threads that essentially ask the question, "What happens if I push this button?"

PhilBiker likes this.
  12. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

I have that feature on my pioneer elite and have used it but not in a while so I guess that tells me I'm not hearing an audible difference but then I have everything set to flat on my ht and my 2 channel.

13. gates69

gates69 Music Junkie

I have the same Onkyo receiver and like it very much. Don't worry about replacing it.

PhilBiker likes this.
  14. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I have an Onkyo PR-SC886 Pre-Pro. I generally use it only for 5.1 stuff via HDMI. But I do have it hooked up for 2 channel stuff if I choose via HDMI or rca's (depending upon the source). I don't use Pure Direct for 5.1 because I need to do some processing for balanced 5.1. But I can tell you that for 2.0 in Pure Direct Mode, it makes for a pretty decent pre-amp -- and there is a considerable difference between the Pure Direct mode and the other modes. Purer tonality, better imaging, more dynamic, better separation. Frankly there's very little separating it and my analog 2.0 pre-amp (PS Audio PCA-2). If I had to guess, I'd say the Onkyo Pure Direct Mode (in this model anyway) is not a marketing gimmick and is truly taking quite a bit of garbage out of the circuit.

This particular pre-pro can also do DSD without conversion to PCM -- but only in the pure direct mode.

15. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Why?

16. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Not OP's fault that those weighing in knew beans about the 8050.

PhilBiker likes this.
  17. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Then you'd be a bit of a mug. The TX8050 is well capable of taking on the likes of the Marantz and bettering it. Had mine for over a year now and love it. Form and functionality in one package. A quick scan over the internet's various review sites will show how much this under-the-radar amp is liked by its many owners.

Oh and, if you're thinking about trying some underpowered valve thing, fine, the Onkyo delivers 100wpc, a nice neutral presentation and lets the music shine through. The quibble is...? Ah, it's mass market. When will folk realise that the days of the bog standard integrated has been numbered for some time?

PhilBiker, vlds8 and TVC15 like this.
  18. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

You got that right mate. Having heard it, and used it extensively, it's one of the best hifi items of the last few years IMO.

PhilBiker likes this.
  19. dhoffa85

dhoffa85 Well-Known Member

Nice if my HK dies I am going to get one it looks awesome to me.

PhilBiker likes this.
  20. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

I have an Onkyo 8555 with both Direct and Pure Direct. I can't hear any difference with either setting turned on.

PhilBiker and Slick Willie like this.
  21. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

The whole soundstage opens waaaay up on the 8050. Far more depth.

PhilBiker likes this.
  22. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I MADE A MISTAKE AND THOUGHT IT WAS A DAMN AVR RECEIVER OK!!! GIVE IT A REST!

23. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Some of the Internet Radio devices do include an FM tuner including my Aluratek WiFi Clock Radio and you also can get a separate AM/FM tuner.

24. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

The "Flat" setting in an EQ and Direct Mode built into a receiver are basically the same thing.

25. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

Direct Mode, is the mode you use when you tell audiophiles, how dedicated you are, and how all tone controls are whack.

Regular mode, is the mode you use, when others come over to listen and you realize you can actually make it sound better to most other people, and dont want them to think your system is weak or puny.

A bit of sarcasm, but also kinda true.

PhilBiker likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.